Cougar Numbers

Vanilla

Long Time Member
So we all know the change in cougar hunting requirements in Utah last year. Most will remember the BAWLIN that was done by some folks about how all the cougars are going to be decimated by these changes. Well, I found the numbers interesting:

Cougars killed May 2022-23 (last year before the change) = 512

Cougars killed May 2023-24 (first year after the change) = 511

This is even after allowing for trapping. I guess some folks were right in saying that the sky was not falling and those BAWLIN didn't have much to worry about. I seem to remember saying there would not be a huge increase from the change. I was wrong, there was actually a decrease!

Hey Niller!

That Can't Be Right!

Alot Of Hunters Seeing Several In One Day!

Seeing Multiple Tracks Every Day!

Just Knowing There Are Lions Behind Every Tree!

I Told You They Get A Few By Luck!

But Damn Few!

So?

If I'm Doing The MM Arithmetic Right?

We Gained A/1 Lion!

That Lion Is Gonna Eat About 52 Deer This Year!

We Gonna Have To Cut About 52 Deer tags!

Hear That Niller?

CUT 52 DEER TAGS!

GAWD I LOVE THE MM ARITHMETIC!

So we all know the change in cougar hunting requirements in Utah last year. Most will remember the BAWLIN that was done by some folks about how all the cougars are going to be decimated by these changes. Well, I found the numbers interesting:

Cougars killed May 2022-23 (last year before the change) = 512

Cougars killed May 2023-24 (first year after the change) = 511

This is even after allowing for trapping. I guess some folks were right in saying that the sky was not falling and those BAWLIN didn't have much to worry about. I seem to remember saying there would not be a huge increase from the change. I was wrong, there was actually a decrease!

Hey Yoteduster!

I Think Guys Like Niller With Lots Of $$$ Should Pay You 500.00 For Every Lion You Take Out!

That Sound Like A Deal?

I didn't think it would make much difference... Now put a couple hundred plus bounty on then and I'll drag my traps out of storage and help change those numbers

Wow, I’m surprised to see this. I wasn’t against the change, but I thought we’d see a lot higher harvest numbers.

Someone say Cougar?!? 😁
😍 those Utah cougars!

IMG_6482.jpeg

Wow, I’m surprised to see this. I wasn’t against the change, but I thought we’d see a lot higher harvest numbers.
I wonder if it's kind of like a "newness" thing.

Before it took points, people waited years, lots of hype to draw the tag, etc.

Now you can just go hunt, so people don't put much effort into it.

I've killed 5 lions plus my daughter has killed one and helped on a couple other kills. I'm out of room in my house. Hahaha. I don't care if I kill another. I may and sell the hide, or I may not. Who knows.

I could see the argument in some random house in Utah now...

The excitement if you drew a coveted tag, and you convince your wife it's a OIL opportunity. Tons of effort and time to fill that tag.

Now, " hey baby I'm going lion hunting with my buddies. "

"Do you really need to this weekend, I could use some help with the kids, bla, bla, bla... and besides you can go next weekend, and next..."

Pretty soon it becomes not important and not worth the effort.

I wonder if it's kind of like a "newness" thing.

Before it took points, people waited years, lots of hype to draw the tag, etc.

Now you can just go hunt, so people don't put much effort into it.

I've killed 5 lions plus my daughter has killed one and helped on a couple other kills. I'm out of room in my house. Hahaha. I don't care if I kill another. I may and sell the hide, or I may not. Who knows.

I could see the argument in some random house in Utah now...

The excitement if you drew a coveted tag, and you convince your wife it's a OIL opportunity. Tons of effort and time to fill that tag.

Now, " hey baby I'm going lion hunting with my buddies. "

"Do you really need to this weekend, I could use some help with the kids, bla, bla, bla... and besides you can go next weekend, and next..."

Pretty soon it becomes not important and not worth the effort.
That certainly could be the case. I really expected outfitters to capitalize on this and run as many hunters as they possibly could.

Them Facts Kinda Hurt Niller?

You Didn't Save Many Deer With That Battle Plan!

Wasn’t my plan, nor is this my battle, and if you were honest you’d admit I was telling people all along not many cougars were going to get killed.

But I wouldn’t do something dumb like expecting you to be honest at this point!

Mr Opportunity.

That certainly could be the case. I really expected outfitters to capitalize on this and run as many hunters as they possibly could.
The outfitters are only going to run as many people as they feel comfortable for the number of lions in their area. They aren't going to bring in 30 people when they normally hunt 10 in a year, and wipe out everything, because next year they won't have as many lions in their area, and no way to bring in hunters. It takes time for the voids to be filled as lions are killed.

I also imagine most locals aren't going to hire a guide for what is basically considered by the state as a varmint.

Sure there will be out non residents come in as they always have.

Un-Real With Millions Of Lions In This state & They Barely Break 500!

Time For Another BS Excuse As Why The Deer Herd SUCKS In DRATville!

Wasn’t my plan, nor is this my battle, and if you were honest you’d admit I was telling people all along not many cougars were going to get killed.

But I wouldn’t do something dumb like expecting you to be honest at this point!

Mr Opportunity.

The outfitters are only going to run as many people as they feel comfortable for the number of lions in their area. They aren't going to bring in 30 people when they normally hunt 10 in a year, and wipe out everything, because next year they won't have as many lions in their area, and no way to bring in hunters. It takes time for the voids to be filled as lions are killed.

I also imagine most locals aren't going to hire a guide for what is basically considered by the state as a varmint.

Sure there will be out non residents come in as they always have.
You have much more faith in outfitters than I do. Haha

Most Of The Old Timer Hounds-Men Are Either Dead Or They've Said F'It!

The Good Ones Didn't Kill Females Or PISSCUTTERS!

This Younger Generation Of So Called Hounders Will Kill Kittens & Parade Them Around Town Like It's Some Kind Of GAWD-DAMNED Trophy!

A BIG Trophy Tom Now Days Is Rare!

Yes,They Eat Deer!

Always Have & Always Will As Long As We Still Have Some Deer Left!

You have much more faith in outfitters than I do. Haha

You can correct me if I’m wrong.
But I think ALL of you on both sides are missing the point. Didn’t 1 guy in the Legislature make this change?
If he did don’t you worry that he or someone else will go after the next thing on the list?
What would that be?

You can correct me if I’m wrong.
But I think ALL of you on both sides are missing the point. Didn’t 1 guy in the Legislature make this change?
If he did don’t you worry that he or someone else will go after the next thing on the list?
What would that be?
Range finder, beyond 50 yards. I’ve already made the recommendation to him. 🙂↔️

Vanilla……. Gender harvest ratio, last year vs this year……. please.

Hope 99% were females this year. Save those males to get older and bigger. Females need more deer per month when they’re nursing kittens. The faster we kill the females the quicker we get the cougar population in balance with the prey base. Spread the word, please.

Just like reducing the mule deer population……….. kill the females and you don’t need to worry about the bucks…….. getting rid of the bucks will happen all on its own.

Didn’t 1 guy in the Legislature make this change?
What would that be?

Not really. Vote passed 57-15 in the House and 21-6 (excluding absent votes). One person doesn’t have the ability to make a legislative change. A legislator has to convince a lot more people to make a wildlife law change than a Wildlife Board member has to.

Vanilla……. Gender harvest ratio, last year vs this year……. please.

I don’t know that breakdown. I’m sure the Division has it.

Not really. Vote passed 57-15 in the House and 21-6 (excluding absent votes). One person doesn’t have the ability to make a legislative change. A legislator has to convince a lot more people to make a wildlife law change than a Wildlife Board member has to.

I don’t know that breakdown. I’m sure the Division has it.
Female vs male cougar harvests will have a significant impact.

If the houndsmen continue to limit their harvest of females and the random hunters and trappers start killing more females, we’ll accomplish the task at had sooner. Sooner is better…….. if the goal is more mule deer.

Howdy Lumpy!

if the goal is more mule deer.?

You Know Better Than That In This State!

Now If You Had Said: More Money!

And Less Deer!

Then You'd Be Talkin The DRATville Way!

Female vs male cougar harvests will have a significant impact.

If the houndsmen continue to limit their harvest of females and the random hunters and trappers start killing more females, we’ll accomplish the task at had sooner. Sooner is better…….. if the goal is more mule deer.

Lumpy just described the cat problem perfectly. The houndsmen aren’t after females for their clients, they’re after the “money cats” yet they’ll be the first to scream there aren’t enough cats.
Wrong. There is an abundance of cougars, just not the kind that pay well.
Imagine Mossback trying to coax clients to pay top dollar for trophy cow elk hunts, once the bulls are gone.

Yup!

You About Wet Yourself When They Try MORE STUPID SHHITT!

How'd That Help Your Deer Numbers Niller?

I laugh that every time Utah does something different to try and help deer Bessy BAWLs about it.

He doesn’t want more deer. He wants less competition in his OPPORTUNITY, and less deer creates that.

What's Next Niller?

You Must Have Another Brain-Storm That Ain't Gonna Work!

But In Your Eyes Doing One STUPID F'N Thing Each Year Is Gonna Fix It All!

WAFJ!

Actually, I think if you were HONEST you’d know that isn’t what I want at all. But that whole honesty thing isn’t high on your priority list.

If bessy is talking he’s probably lyin’.

Well tell Us WTF You really Want?

Besides:

MORE TAGS ISSUED When You've Done ABSO-F'N-LUTLEY Nothing To Improve Deer Numbers!

You want Your PISSCUTTER Tag Every Year & Yes We Know You Have That!

You Wanna Try One STUPID F'N Thing Each Year That Does Not Fix A F'N Thing For The Deer Herd!

You Don't Wanna Accept The Facts That It's F'ED Up Beyond A Repair Because People Like You Don't Wanna Make Changes That'd Help The Deer Herd!

Keep Shootin Your PISSCUTTERS It's Gonna Fix Everything!

Actually, I think if you were HONEST you’d know that isn’t what I want at all. But that whole honesty thing isn’t high on your priority list.

If bessy is talking he’s probably lyin’.

This Looks to Be Some Personal Experience With The Hossy Crew!:D:D:D

Did You Buy The E-Saws Last Year Hossy?

Or Are you Buying Them This Year?

Us dedicated hunters know what the price of our tag is.

Right Bess?(Your secret is safe with me. But Vanilla, he's pretty chatty😉)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom