Colorado units 30, 40 and 70

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Daughter has 13 NR deer point and I would appreciate any information anyone has on the three units. She can draw 3rd season for 30 and 40, or 4th season unit 70. I have hunted 70 3rd twice and quality and quantity have greatly decreased. But never been there during 4th. Use to heard a lot about how good 30 and 40 were, but nothing recently.
Thanks
Bill

I grew up near unit 30 and can say that it is nothing what is once was just like the rest of the state. I’ve been in that unit several times during the rut over the last few years and only seen a handful of bucks over 170. I see better bucks during the rut on Utahs general units then I do on 30 nowadays ?. I think unit 40 still has some quality because of all the private but that’s all second hand knowledge so I can’t speak much on it

We have hunted 30 for years, the decline in numbers and quality is disturbing...or course that is what is said about many mule deer units. If you do go with 30 let me know.

I drew unit 30, third rifle hunt. Any tips or info. would be greatly appreciated
We hunted it last year, 4 of us all tagged out. We hunted second season. Nothing huge all 20 -24” 4x4’s . We did see a couple big boys, just couldn’t make it happen. My advice is move elevations , start at the top and move down until you start seeing animals. If weather lets you hunt up high, snag an elk tag .

I drew unit 30, third rifle hunt. Any tips or info. would be greatly appreciated
I will be accompanying my buddy who also drew the 3rd season(13 points). Out of staters; we have been e-scouting and scouring forums as well as the CPW site. Like Jerkychaser stated, we plan on starting high and adjusting to lower elevations. As far a getting an OTC Elk tag, we’re on the fence about that given the winter kill devastation to the NW of us. Elk hunters who normally hunt those units undoubtedly will migrate south. Good luck to you on your draw.

Obviously there is winter range on the Colo side but some of the 40 deer may be in Utah during the later seasons.

Headed out soon for fourth season unit 30 deer hunt and thought I would revive this thread. Just wondering how the third season went ? Any reports, suggestions, insight? Any thought s on a centrally located area to set up a wall tent to hunt from ? Appreciate any info anybody is willing to share. Tony

Hey Tony, PM me your number, me and my buddy will be there hunting elk and if we see any shooters we can let you know.
Ron

Hey all, I am considering applying for 4th season unit 30 for deer. I wanted to see how your hunts went Ron and Tony? I would also appreciate any other info people are willing to share about late rifle seasons in this unit, thanks!

I hunted daylight to dark for four days. Hiked and glassed a ton of area. Saw a total of 22 deer…… only two bucks. Shot one of them on day four. Decent but not huge. The weather was nice but the deer were hard to find for me. Good luck if you go.

Hi Tony, thank you for your hunt recap. Sounds like it was pretty tough and slow hunt for 4th season, sorry to hear that. Glad you were able to scrape out a buck though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom