Colorado Unit 44

smaxson

Hey Everyone. My dad used his points that he had saved up and drew a 2nd season buck license in unit 44. He is running out of years to hunt so probably won't have time to build the points again for this unit (even though he is a resident). So this will likely be the only year hunting there. We have been up there a couple times scouting already and have some good ideas of where we want to cover. But things can always be different come late Oct. I would appreciate any pointers from folks familiar with the unit since we won't have years to gain knowledge of the area. Please PM if you prefer. Thank you!

Is it worth hiking around in this unit? backpacking in and getting off the road. I read there aren't may places to hike/backpack to. So everyone just drives around and glasses?

2nd season will be tough. I used to hunt unit 44 every year during 3rd season. If you don't get a bunch of snow and the rut has not kicked in well you better go high.

2nd season will be tough. I used to hunt unit 44 every year during 3rd season. If you don't get a bunch of snow and the rut has not kicked in well you better go high.
Did you hike around or basically road hunt it?
Since the CO changed the dates of hunting a few years ago, does that mean you were actually hunting the 2nd rifle dates as of now?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom