Colorado Unit 2 Early Elk 2024

tneil

My dad has burned his 30pts and drew the early rifle Elk in unit 2. We have decided to focus on the north half of the unit - vermillion bluffs, lookout mtn, bears ears areas.

With him being over 70 and slowing down, we are looking for any additional information that is willing to be shared.

Thank you

I bet
Well, in all this time you never laid down any rubber or spent any time there? Behind the glass , gas , no? Interesting!
So spend a small percentage of those 30 plus years doing somethin next time.
It’s a trophy unit
Go kill somethin

My dad has burned his 30pts and drew the early rifle Elk in unit 2. We have decided to focus on the north half of the unit - vermillion bluffs, lookout mtn, bears ears areas.

With him being over 70 and slowing down, we are looking for any additional information that is willing to be shared.

Thank you
Shoot me a PM to discuss.

I hunted in unit 2 over twenty years ago. Don’t be afraid to look out in the sage flats for elk. I killed my 340” bull near a stock pond that had trees around it. It looked more like antelope country than elk country.

Not sure how someone comes to the conclusion that we haven't spent any time in the unit based on my original post....pretty inaccurate.

Why even waste your time typing this response?
I can see Focoelkman’s point on this one, since it wasn’t clear you had experience in the unit and were looking for help on what is a pretty slam dunk tag. If you have lots of (or even some) relevant scouting knowledge, why not mention that up front, or why even ask for help, as you would already know more about Unit 2 than most. Put a different way, what exactly do you want to know about the unit that you already are not well ahead of curve on, specifics might spur a better dialogue (best using PM’s though).

By the way, I and pretty much everybody has also solicited help now and then and get same kinda responses, good and bad. Just part of life.

Best of luck to your Dad on the tag.

Spent some time up there in the late 90's and early 2000's, used to be alot of elk around, but the last time i was up there hunting with a friend, there didnt seem to be as many elk on the north side, but i think that had alot to do with the population of wild horses. We found more elk, in the Douglas Mtn. area, like Colorado boy mentioned. When i last had a tag in 1998, I harvested mine on the northside, by lookout mtn. Spend alot of time behind the glass in that country, and you will be surprised at what is laying out in the sage. Good luck

@tneil. I put in for the hybrid archery tag for 2 on a whim. I've never stepped foot in the unit, and didn't think I had a chance in hell to draw a tag for the unit. Well I drew it with 11 points. I have always been DIY and have gone into plenty of units blind and harvested animals. But giving the importance of this tag, I have secured a guide for this hunt. Mainly because I just had extensive hip surgery and won't be 100% by the end of September, so I will need help with pack out and whatnot. And it will help to have horses as well to get in and out of the hills. I live an hour and a half away from that area, and plan to do as much scouting on my own as possible, because why not. I will share any knowledge I can with you along the way. I want your dad to have every chance at monster as possible. I lost my dad a year ago, and would give anything to have the chance you're getting with your pops. Don't pay attention to the jackasses, never be afraid to ask for knowledge. Also reach out to Jeff with the CPW in Meeker as well, he's a super good dude and will steer you in the right direction. Please Pm me your info so I can keep you posted. And if any of you kind gentleman would like to share knowledge with me for scouting purposes, I would be much obliged!

@tneil. I put in for the hybrid archery tag for 2 on a whim. I've never stepped foot in the unit, and didn't think I had a chance in hell to draw a tag for the unit. Well I drew it with 11 points. I have always been DIY and have gone into plenty of units blind and harvested animals. But giving the importance of this tag, I have secured a guide for this hunt. Mainly because I just had extensive hip surgery and won't be 100% by the end of September, so I will need help with pack out and whatnot. And it will help to have horses as well to get in and out of the hills. I live an hour and a half away from that area, and plan to do as much scouting on my own as possible, because why not. I will share any knowledge I can with you along the way. I want your dad to have every chance at monster as possible. I lost my dad a year ago, and would give anything to have the chance you're getting with your pops. Don't pay attention to the jackasses, never be afraid to ask for knowledge. Also reach out to Jeff with the CPW in Meeker as well, he's a super good dude and will steer you in the right direction. Please Pm me your info so I can keep you posted. And if any of you kind gentleman would like to share knowledge with me for scouting purposes, I would be much obliged!
Gutsy you are a stand up Man! Best of luck healing up from surgery and on your Elk Hunt!!!

I hunted the unit a couple years ago for deer and you will have an awesome hunt. I spent time in the pines and up in the sage, you should see multiple targets in either area but will have much better glassing up north. Saw a couple 380+ bulls and a bunch of 340-360 bulls. I think if you were archery hunting I’d pay for access to the Walker Ranch, but with a rifle you can go just about anywhere and shoot a big one if you put your time in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom