Colorado 3rd Season Rifle

Hello all!

New member here. I know this has been discussed a decent bit but on most of the threads I see "PM" info which in understandable. I have been a resident of Colorado for about 4 years now for the military and have hunted every fall. Mostly archery/muzzy elk and bear in the Gunnision area.

I was blessed to pull a 3rd season rifle buck tag for 55 this year. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it as I've never been able to get past the cart and I try almost every week for reissue tags. Anyways, I am thrilled to have this tag and now am trying to plan a hunt pretty short term. I plan to hit the escouting very hard as the unfortunate part is that I will gone for the next 5 weeks on a TDY for the military so boots on the ground won't be an option.

Reaching out here to see if anyone has some good starting points or general advice on deer hunting this area or in general hunting this late into the year for mule deer. Stratagies, advice, etc. All of my previous hunting has been done in September in more remote units like 53/54 so I know it will be a bit of an adjustment with more roads and traffic. I have a hot tent set up and 4x4 truck with chains. I'd also be willing to team up with some OTC elk hunters if they wanted another set of eyes for elk. Can also exchange information on units 53/54.

Feel free to PM info to keep it off the Google. I hate to make a thread like this but (like most things in life) the military is getting in the way of a lot of the scouting that I'd like to do and I don't have a ton of time to plan this hunt. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for your service ;) you’re welcome for your taxpayer funded move to Co. there are several threads talking about what’s going on in 55. Should be a great hunt. Trophy potential has dropped quite a bit, but I know that guys have seen 180-200 in bucks the last couple years and haven’t killed them. They are around. Just find some does and see what shows up

Thank you for your service ;) you’re welcome for your taxpayer funded move to Co. there are several threads talking about what’s going on in 55. Should be a great hunt. Trophy potential has dropped quite a bit, but I know that guys have seen 180-200 in bucks the last couple years and haven’t killed them. They are around. Just find some does and see what shows up
Haha thanks! I think I would have appreciated the move a little more if it hadn't involved missing my daughter being born and $2000 in my hunting stuff being "lost" ?. None the less here I am and I love it. Thanks for the reply, I'd definitely be happy taking something closer to 150-160.

That is a more realistic expectation. My buddy lives in the basin, had the tag 2 years ago and looked over a ton of bucks, I believe he was down in the sage mostly, rut should be going with these season dates, I’ll be hunting third in another part of the state

sorry about that move Uncle Sam paid me a couple times to move myself I was always worried about them losing my stuff.

That is a more realistic expectation. My buddy lives in the basin, had the tag 2 years ago and looked over a ton of bucks, I believe he was down in the sage mostly, rut should be going with these season dates, I’ll be hunting third in another part of the state

sorry about that move Uncle Sam paid me a couple times to move myself I was always worried about them losing my stuff.
Well in that case thanks for your service. Good luck on your hunt. I will definitely be happy with anything around 150. Can't wait.

Be patient, as each day goes by you are one more day into usually better rut conditions. I was in there for my Dad elk hunting a couple years ago when the 3rd season was earlier and by end of the season we saw some really good bucks roaming around in the sage country.
That is the plan! Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to wait out a 4 year old and I'll have the whole season to hunt. Hopefully get there a couple days early to scout it out and get familiar with everything.

We hunted next door last year and my recommendation would be to get to know the country and the roads and then cover ground. Find high points to glass from and go out early and stay late. No doubt the hunt gets better every day so don't get impatient and shoot a dink. You can always do that on the last day if you really want the meat. The bucks will be around the does so if you find does, keep checking them.
Best of luck

We hunted next door last year and my recommendation would be to get to know the country and the roads and then cover ground. Find high points to glass from and go out early and stay late. No doubt the hunt gets better every day so don't get impatient and shoot a dink. You can always do that on the last day if you really want the meat. The bucks will be around the does so if you find does, keep checking them.
Best of luck
Appreciate the advice, that is the plan. A little nervous with how the access will be and it will be my first hunt this late in the year out here. I'm hoping to get out there at least for a day trip to scout it a bit and get to know the area/roads a little bit better. Going to do my best to be patient! Not used to hunting a unit with that much road access.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in and helped me out on this last minute tag...you guys rock. Was able to take a solid buck opening morning!

Screenshot_20231111-101819.png

Screenshot_20231111-101840.png

New here and wanted to avoid starting a new thread on 3rd season rifle. Doing my first Colorado hunt this year after saving up 6 points for Muleys. Looking for any help trying to rank the 4 units I've narrowed down to. GMU: 43, 62, 68, & 80. Big antlers are nice, but filling a tag is goal #1!

New here and wanted to avoid starting a new thread on 3rd season rifle. Doing my first Colorado hunt this year after saving up 6 points for Muleys. Looking for any help trying to rank the 4 units I've narrowed down to. GMU: 43, 62, 68, & 80. Big antlers are nice, but filling a tag is goal #1!
You can just fill a tag in most of the state, not sure what 6 points will get you as a NR for a lot of units listed… especially with the new tag allocation

HntHrdr & OriontheHunter, thanks for the reply! I ended up applying to 62, considering people drew with 4pts last year, I feels there hope with 6 points! Fingers crossed and starting to scout maps now!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom