Colorado 3,301 Antelope

jtshedhead

Hey guys and gals, cashed in my wife points for this hunt this fall. I understand the significant winter kill two years ago, but my question is how is it up there this year. My wife has never harvested an antelope and a low to mid 70” goat would be great. Just curious to get your thoughts if you live or have been in the area as of late. Thanks in advance!

I haven't been up there in awhile...as in looking for Antelope or other beasties. But, I hunted up there last year. I shot a decent buck. I didn't see a whole lot of critters when I hunted. I think that I saw 3 bucks and 2 herds.

Last winter was a relatively easy one. The one before, there were dead critters every 1/4 mile on US 40. The deer were severely reduced also last year, but I got one.

The moral of the story is....hunt when you can. That area is fairly decent for those sort of critters.

The Craig Chamber of Commerce keeps a list of people that allow you to hunt, on their property, for a fee.

About 5 years ago, I drove up there twice looking for private land for my daughter to hunt on, for free. I enjoyed the trips, but they were wasted...3 hours each way, 12 hours of driving, total. I paid $100, for doe access, for a youth. It took 4 hours....that is: See, Stalk, Shoot, Gut, Drag, Re-Pack the Van and then leave. We met the guy at 8a, and we were off the property by 12N.

I may still have his #. Send me a PM if you want me to look for it. Buck will be more than $100, for sure.

Thanks for the info! I check with the commerce.

Anyone else been in the area over the past month? It’s nearly 4 hours for us so we will show up early on Friday and get after it. Also, what about the state land parcels? It’s my understanding that if it’s not posted you can hunt it. Is that true? Is there a list of leasees?

Unit 3 hasn't been worth a crusty fart from a crack whores tush in years. I've had a number of guys thay I've talked to in the past few years that went and cashed out, almost every single one was lucky to even see a 65" buck. The goats are far and few. Most of them have even gone as far as migrated west into 11 and 10. Still a chance at getting a decent buck as there is with most units, but I'm sorry you cashed in the points for that unit. I hope you guys are able to find something worthy!

Don't be overly picky on your choice of buck. 301 will be a bugger without OnX. 3 will be a bugger just cuz the animals will be on private and spooky. Still, your antelope hunting so enjoy. You never know what turn up!

Hunted deer in those units last year. The winter kill was really bad. Like we were driving roads and you just kept seeing bone piles over and over. The Deer seemed to have survived better than the antelope. But to put it in perspective locals said elk died during the winter which is nuts.

I wish I had better news for you, but I just got back from a deer muzzleloader hunt in unit 3. I spend a week there mostly on private but on public also. I did not see a single Pronghorn nowhere in the weeks time I was there. I drove CR 7 down into Craig a couple times. And didn’t see a single Pronghorn anywhere along the road. Normally this time of year I see dozens and dozens of them especially on the private property. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen it since I’ve been going out there in 20+ years. I know that’s not what you wanna hear. There’s got to be a few around there somewhere plan on doing a lot of driving and looking.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom