Chalk creek/east canyon/Morgan-south rich

Lukegarrett2002

I made the mistake of drawing the chalk creek rifle deer tag this year and I'm try to figure out we're I should hunt in the unit, also can I rifle hunt above Farmington and bountiful and if I can is there any decent deer there

LOL!

Ya sure can hunt up there! Just bring a fork with ya because once you get one down, you're gonna want to eat it where it drops. Otherwise, take out extra life insurance on yourself (for your families sake) because you'll die packing it out of that hell hole!

You can hunt up there in most areas but there is private to deal with around farmington to canyon. There is an army of people that hunt it but somehow the deer survive. It is rough steep and thick country. I have killed several bucks up there but the majority of the bucks you see will be forkys.

I'll be hunting up there next week for the gen muzzy hunt.

You got a better chance dying up there than you do killing a quality buck....seen some crazy stuff up that canyon. Rescued two teenagers on the rifle opener about 10 years ago. Rolled their rig off the top and spent all night in temps below freezing (drunk driver).

Fast forward to last year, I took a friend up there to show him some spots to bow hunt. I leave him and his buddy up there and get a call that night. He says a car flew off that same corner where I told him about the drunk teenagers rolling! My friend's buddy had shot a buck and they were taking field photos below the road when they hear the roar of an engine and look up to see a car launching off the road and rolling toward them. They flip to video mode and video this car rolling to a stop. Three younger folks, (high on drugs) back seat kid wakes up and starts eating the Marijuana to hide it from the cops and then passes out again. Front seat passenger girl is screaming because of broken ribs and other injuries. Driver dies in the hospital from internal bleeding.

So even if you don't kill up there, you might get to see someone else get killed....or something else crazy.

Any more, I just go for the entertainment. I can't believe they haven't closed that canyon down because of the idiots that attempt to go up there cannot understand that you need all your wits if you're gonna drive that road!

Thanks for the advice I'm used to gnarly terrain with the extended archery hunts but I'll try my best and use onX maps to my advantage and the cars flying off the road looks like it's pretty good entertainment.

He isn't lying. I've seen some amazing feats of stupidity up there. And a 25 inch 4 point up there is like a 190 inch buck in a good unit as far as rarity!

My son has killed 4 point bucks up there the last couple of years. His first couple years of hunting. There?s a few around.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I found a big one up there during the opener of the bow hunt. Probably a 170-180 inch buck. I couldn't convince my friend to go after him. Insanity! (I was just a spotter) and of course I left my phoneskope at home.

It does get crowded. But if you take your time glassing and have good optics and patience, you'll find em.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Used to be decent, but is now one of the worst units in the state. Wayyyyy to many tags for the amount of public land and deer that reside on the public land. Don?t let the numbers for unit 4/5/6 fool you it's the biggest joke in the entire big game management plan. 3/4?s of the unit is prime private cwmu properties, some will rival the Henry?s in quality. It makes absolutely no sense why the division would include all three unit numbers into one unit. Sad, the areas you mentioned 5-6 years ago consistently held 200? deer. Now, not so much. Good luck, it's really not that fun of an area to hunt, thick and steep. The only reason we used to hunt it was because of the big buck potential, but those days are gone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom