Catalina

Good info. I saw on the news a month or so ago they were going to shoot all the mule deer because they were damaging the island's ecosystem.

Hope it is not another Santa Rosa Island travesty. What a shame that was wiping out a world class herd of Kaibab strain mule deer and Roosevelt elk...

Horniac

Good info. I saw on the news a month or so ago they were going to shoot all the mule deer because they were damaging the island's ecosystem.

Hope it is not another Santa Rosa Island travesty. What a shame that was wiping out a world class herd of Kaibab strain mule deer and Roosevelt elk...

Horniac
They called off the slaughter for now.

Looks like this could be a real good hunt.

Is anyone on here actually hunted on Catalina? If so, what was your experience? Wondering if it’s an outfitter/ Guided hunt only because it’s administered by the Catalina Conservancy?

From the success pics, not sure it would be worth the cost? It would be a unique hunt, not one for a trophy class buck.
You would think they would make it more affordable in order to help with the deer population. An interesting process, however, and will take a little more study.

Tempted to jump in on this, for the experience. Lots of hoops to jump through. And from my understanding, can only kill 2 deer in CA each year regardless of PLM or not. Which would mean another one of my hunts not happening. Hmmm.

1719607798725.jpeg

Is anyone on here actually hunted on Catalina? If so, what was your experience? Wondering if it’s an outfitter/ Guided hunt only because it’s administered by the Catalina Conservancy?
I've helped to put on two separate wounded warrior hunts on the island. Each time the conservancy was very accommodating. They designated two staff (biologists that were avid hunters on and off the island) to help guide, allowed us the use of one of their camps, and even allowed us to use their butchering facilities to hang our animals and break them down for transport. I believe the years we hunted were 2014 and 2015. Our hunters had lots of opportunities on bucks, and everybody went home with some meat (they allowed each hunter to take a buck and a doe). It was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, I believe some of their policies changed and we lost the hunt.

The locals used to hunt the island pretty heavily, and from what I remember they wouldn't issue you a buck tag until you filled your doe tag. But that all may have changed, as it was almost 10 years ago now. Hopefully the conservancy stays their current course, and works with the hunting community to meet a shared objective in utilizing hunters manage the deer population on the island.

I’ve DIY hunted it a couple times over the years. It’s a good experience for what it is and it may not be around much longer. It’s special in the sense that you’re on an island, with ocean views and hunting deer. There is an abundance of deer. If you can hike, success isn’t an issue and some nice bucks can be taken. The ticks are on a different level on the island and I mean a DIFFERENT level. If you hunt the island be very diligent abt checking yourself often because you will be covered from head to toe.

If anyone decides to hunt Cat, feel free to reach out and I can help ya out. Harvesting some deer there would be a good thing.

I grew up hunting over there and still do every year. We’ve had some really good seasons over the years, although populations have significantly gone down since I was a kid. Even now I think their population estimates are quite a bit higher than what is actually out there, at least from what I’ve seen. They seem to slightly change the seasons and tags each year where some years you have to shoot a doe first, some you don’t, and some you get two either sex tags instead of one antler-less and one either sex. I know the guides over there also and they are all great dudes and they get to hunt the island during the rut when the general public can’t which is a big benefit too.

We’ve had some pretty good seasons over the years over there and have taken a few nice bucks for SoCal standards, quality each year tends to be dependent on water like most of the southwest. There is nothing flat over there whatsoever, and although there are a lot less deer than there used to be there is still a decent amount. If you are willing to put in a little effort then success can be had for sure. There’s not a ton of mature bucks over there because the long hunting seasons, and like usual its not easy but if you put in a whole lot of effort, time, and miles then they can be had.

The conservancy does make it a little tough though with extra tag, membership, and insurance fees. Also access can be an issue if going DIY since there’s no vehicles to rent over there…..And yeah there is an excessive amount of ticks…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom