Capstan Winch - Are they as good as they say for retrieving game?

Vegas_Runner

Has anyone ever used one of those capstan rope winches for retrieving an elk or moose? I have heard they are really great for pulling in game up steep hills and over long distances. Would really open up hunting to areas I have been afraid to hunt because it was to difficult to retrieve.

Placeholder%20Image%201.jpg

I have used the gas powered ones. They work great. It works good if you can get the elk on a sled, then have 2 people walk along side and keep front end pulled up.Tie a couple ropes onto sled to pull up front end. Northern tool has the gas captsan winches. I carry mine with me all the time in my truck with a snatch block. You can double up the rope with a snatch block and pull out a truck. If not stuck to bad. Buy the non stretch rope.

I saw this one at http://www.speedwinch.com

It mounts right to you receiver hitch. They recommend using 3/16" amsteel blue rope (super light weight, low stretch and really strong). They have an interesting discussion about the different kinds of capstan winches (i.e. gas, electric, hydraulic, etc.) and the advantages and disadvantages on their main page. They also have a pretty good video on their blog page showing an elk being retrieved and loaded into a truck. http://www.speedwinch.com/blog

It looks like a really great tool.

I had a capstan on my sailboat for pulling the anchor rode. don't let your foot get in the mix.

They are great tools although the only ones I have used personally are gas powered and PTO. The ones I have used will lift a 1500lb transformer 50 feet in the air with ease.
If you run out of power on the smaller models you could always bring a small block with you and block and a half it with a snatch block attached at the animal.

Sounds like they have similar specifications. The speedwinch says it has a 1600LB capacity. Should easily be able to drag the largest game animal since you are dragging them and not lifting them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom