CA Draw

If you get the app, go to the "view active draw," go to the "pending" to see if you drew, not the successful or unsuccessful--go to the pending.

I am the proud owner of a unsuccessful notice that I downloaded that says "eat sh*t, try again next year" in my Deer x zone quest.

Everything else seems pending with no info yet.

Non-Res? Lol

IMG_2855.jpeg

Gonna be busy this fall/winter…I will be helping BOTH my brother and one of my best friends locate and harvest some monster CA bucks in December! BOTH drew their long awaited G3 tags.

Talked another good friend into putting in for a certain X-zone with his 5 Pref points….and he drew it. Gonna spend a fair amount of time in the backcountry scouting for him. Pretty confident we will be able to turn up something good…. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Gonna be busy this fall/winter…Gonna be helping BOTH my brother and one of my best friends locate and harvest some monster bucks in December! BOTH drew their G3 tags.

Talked another good friend into putting in for a certain X-zone with his 5 Pref points….and he drew it. Gonna spend a fair amount of time in the backcountry scouting for him. Pretty confident we will be able to turn up something good…. Should be fun!
Congratulations to them that’s awesome can’t wait to see.

Nothing for me just points. My son drew X12 haven’t been there since 2009 any help would be appreciated since I don’t remember much of the area we hunted. I hope to get him on his first buck doesn’t have to be a monster. I will stop by Kens and will be scouting end of the month for sure. Thanks in advance

shockingly I didn’t draw elk with one off max… only 42 more years to guarantee it. Gotta love a good preference point system.
It won’t take nearly as long as you think. People are getting older and drop out of the applicant pool at a rate faster than tags being allotted. With the growing elk population new hunts are being added and more tags being issued. Although it might be a while, I don’t think you have 40+ years to wait. Stick with it and eventually your patience will be rewarded.

In the meantime, concentrate on putting in for elk hunts with only one tag available… which would be awarded in the random drawing. Most max point holders will avoid putting in for these hunts, as there is no benefit to them. I am two points behind max and have been really close on several occasions being drawn as an alternate. One of these years I’ll either draw a tag in the random or eventually reach that max point position again.

Congratulations to you all that Drew tags in California.
To you that Drew X5B buck deer tags I would be interested in getting in touch with you. I have the Nevada 015 late tag.
If you’re willing to share what you’re seeing please get in touch with me.
Thanks.

Drew X9B. This will be my first X zone hunt and I am stoaked. I have some spots in the zone I’d like to try, but I’d like to bounce some ideas off someone more familiar with the area. Anyone who’s familiar with the zone please shoot me a PM!

I think a Nevada draw system at least be a hope for a draw , our kids are left out
You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but I don’t think that that’s really the case. I simply don’t accept that our kids are “left out” as you wrote. Junior hunters in CA have access to hunts here that we adults don’t… And one could argue that some of these hunts could be considered some of the best opportunities available in the west to harvest trophy mule deer, Blacktail, pronghorn, waterfowl, pigs, etc.

Our modified preference point system still makes a percentage of tags available for high demand hunts in the “random drawing”…. so opportunity still does exist. There’s nothing stopping individuals from hunting with their kids each and every year. Even if you don’t draw your first choice, you still have the ability to pick up a tag in many zones on a second or third choice while still building points for a hunt that you may perceive to be more desirable. In a state of 40 million people and marginal wildlife populations. You can’t expect everyone to get their first choice all the time… that is simply impossible. Our modified points system, numerous apprentice hunts, and ability to always get a deer tag (or two!) each year and go hunting is nothing to scoff at. Our younger generation will definitely be faced with many challenges when it comes to hunting in our state… but with dedication, and a little bit of persistence, they will always have opportunities. It’s our job to teach them how to make the most of them.

-HS

78039AA6-DED0-4C99-A845-A38D81A523DC.jpeg

6E0DEC14-A9DC-470F-A7A2-49FF783E58F3.jpeg

6BAD2C64-72FF-4B9E-B473-477CEE58CD40.jpeg

6E94C4A4-31F8-4E82-9D1C-78E5FA235994.jpeg

D08A6761-B243-4E03-9D8C-2431D9A871CF.jpeg

81E922F7-65EC-4AE1-9B3B-53D991048229.jpeg

8AAD0A86-2D35-4822-BA7E-96FFC601E0A1.jpeg

DE0F6AAA-5253-4194-9322-45425A1EBDE9.jpeg

Last edited:
You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but I don’t think that that’s really the case. I simply don’t accept that our kids are “left out” as you wrote. Junior hunters in CA have access to hunts here that we adults don’t… And one could argue that some of these hunts could be considered some of the best opportunities available in the west to harvest trophy mule deer, Blacktail, pronghorn, waterfowl, pigs, etc.

Our modified preference point system still makes a percentage of tags available for high demand hunts in the “random drawing”…. so opportunity still does exist. There’s nothing stopping individuals from hunting with their kids each and every year. Even if you don’t draw your first choice, you still have the ability to pick up a tag in many zones on a second or third choice while still building points for a hunt that you may perceive to be more desirable. In a state of 40 million people and marginal wildlife populations. You can’t expect everyone to get their first choice all the time… that is simply impossible. Our modified points system, numerous apprentice hunts, and ability to always get a deer tag (or two!) each year and go hunting is nothing to scoff at. Our younger generation will definitely be faced with many challenges when it comes to hunting in our state… but with dedication, and a little bit of persistence, they will always have opportunities. It’s our job to teach them how to make the most of them.

-HS

View attachment 148773

View attachment 148776

View attachment 148777

View attachment 148778

View attachment 148794

View attachment 148795

View attachment 148801

View attachment 148802
I agree.. my son drew buck and antelope as a junior..

Nada for me and my family except the usual B zone tags. My dad is sitting at 1st alternate for an elk tag, but even then I'm not too sure he will get it.

It won’t take nearly as long as you think. People are getting older and drop out of the applicant pool at a rate faster than tags being allotted. With the growing elk population new hunts are being added and more tags being issued. Although it might be a while, I don’t think you have 40+ years to wait. Stick with it and eventually your patience will be rewarded.

In the meantime, concentrate on putting in for elk hunts with only one tag available… which would be awarded in the random drawing. Most max point holders will avoid putting in for these hunts, as there is no benefit to them. I am two points behind max and have been really close on several occasions being drawn as an alternate. One of these years I’ll either draw a tag in the random or eventually reach that max point position again.

Right now wih bull tags to guarantee a tag at one off your looking at 19.25 years to guarantee a tag. I think it will definatley speed up my dad is 72 and will be part of the pool drawing a cow tag soon due to health. I think the closer number is probably 15-16 years to guarantee a tag as long as I don't move out of state.

Max point holders
2021 2257
2022 2107 ( -150 )
2023 1915 ( -192 )

Unfortunatly its the sign of the times and matches everything else going on in the country. When you were born dicates the oppurtunity you get.

The good news for JRs in California is the number of aplicants really hasn't changed since 2020 once they got through the random change to 18 for a few years. The bad news is they will never be guaranteed the oppurtunity to experience top end hunts in CA.

-HS

View attachment 148773

View attachment 148776

View attachment 148777

View attachment 148778

View attachment 148794

View attachment 148795

View attachment 148801

View attachment 148802
Being extremely lucky helps..i
Put my son in for all the good stuff when he was young and apparently your family drew all the tags! 🤣 Good lookin pics glad you’ve had success!

If you only put in for the best be prepared to die without drawing. Just like sheep hunting (sometimes the same odds or worse). I still have not drawn G3 and I have been applying way before it was G3. Use to be SX2. Should have a tag in the next few years with max points. This in no way keeps me from hunting every year.
Daughter drew J12 and only had 2 days o hunt due to school. Went over early and scouted. Wife drove here over for the hunt.

IMG_0142_Original.jpeg

Being extremely lucky helps..i
Put my son in for all the good stuff when he was young and apparently your family drew all the tags! 🤣 Good lookin pics glad you’ve had success!
Thanks! None of the kids in the photos are from my family. Just friend’s and other representative youth illustrating that tremendous opportunity IS available to kids here in CA. Sorry your son wasn’t chosen for an apprentice hunt….but the good news is that he left his Junior years with 4 Pref points putting him that much closer to drawing a premium tag in the future. I can think of a couple X-zones that he could be guaranteed a tag with those points!

Hopefully you and your son will be able to get out in the field this year a make some memories together!

If you only put in for the best be prepared to die without drawing. Just like sheep hunting (sometimes the same odds or worse). I still have not drawn G3 and I have been applying way before it was G3. Use to be SX2. Should have a tag in the next few years with max points. This in no way keeps me from hunting every year.
Daughter drew J12 and only had 2 days o hunt due to school. Went over early and scouted. Wife drove here over for the hunt.

View attachment 148812
Holy G-2's!! Great buck....

Thanks! None of the kids in the photos are from my family. Just friend’s and other representative youth illustrating that tremendous opportunity IS available to kids here in CA. Sorry your son wasn’t chosen for an apprentice hunt….but the good news is that he left his Junior years with 4 Pref points putting him that much closer to drawing a premium tag in the future. I can think of a couple X-zones that he could be guaranteed a tag with those points!

Hopefully you and your son will be able to get out in the field this year a make some memories together!
He’s done his share of hunting, albeit in the “big league” with the rest of us 🤣..he’s done fine. It’s pretty unfortunate to know he is at such a disadvantage for elk tags and such now that he’s over 18..but, we never count on one state to provide our opportunity so it’s not as big a deal.

I'm pretty sure the earlier comment of feeling bad for the youth was aimed at the fact they will probably NEVER draw an elk, pronghorn or sheep tag if they don't as juniors.

I'm pretty sure the earlier comment of feeling bad for the youth was aimed at the fact they will probably NEVER draw an elk, pronghorn or sheep tag if they don't as juniors.
NEVER say never! ….Be optimistic!

He should put in for elk hunts with only one tag…therefore people with max points don’t have an advantage. I just did a quick count and came up with 54 tags that are awarded through the random draw for bull, either sex, or spike elk. When I was a kid, there was nowhere near that many elk tags available in the random drawings!

Pronghorn hunts have, or will in the near future “turn over”. For example, the likely tables period 1 hunt had 19 tags available for the preference point drawing in 2023… Only eight max point holders put in for it…So, essentially, it has “turned over“ and the number of points needed to draw in the preference point drawing is now, finally, dropping.

As for sheep….it’s a long shot for everybody! Just gotta be persistent and hope for the best. A friends, dad drew the one in the only tag available for a particular Hunt last year. No need for points… Equal opportunity for everybody… Although, very, very long odds.

I try to always remind people… The only way to truly increase your opportunities in this state is to have more tags become available. The only way that’s going to happen is if we can increase big game populations. In a state of 40 million people (and growing) there never will be enough tags for everyone… but if we can increase wildlife numbers, like we have with elk, more and more opportunity will become available over time.

Last edited:

He should put in for elk hunts with only one tag…therefore people with max points don’t have an advantage. I just did a quick count and came up with 54 tags that are awarded through the random draw for bull, either sex, or spike elk. When I was a kid, there was nowhere near that many elk tags available in the random drawings!

Pronghorn hunts have, or will in the near future “turn over”. For example, the likely tables period 1 hunt had 19 tags available for the preference point drawing in 2023… Only eight max point holders put in for it…So, essentially, it has “turned over“ and the number of points needed to draw in the preference point drawing is now, finally, dropping.

As for sheep….it’s a long shot for everybody! Just gotta be persistent and hope for the best. A friends, dad drew the one in the only tag available for a particular Hunt last year. No need for points… Equal opportunity for everybody… Although, very, very long odds.

As I try to always remind people… The only way to truly increase your opportunities in this state is to have more tags become available. The only way that’s going to happen is if we can increase big game populations. In a state of 40 million people (and growing) there never will be enough tags for everyone… but if we can increase wildlife numbers, like we have with elk, more and more opportunity will become available over time.
Exactly. Just this year I know one youth who drew a random regular Antelope tag and there is another who drew a sheep tag!
Also with the abundant A,B and D zone tags anyone can be hunting a lot every year.

I try to always remind people… The only way to truly increase your opportunities in this state is to have more tags become available. The only way that’s going to happen is if we can increase big game populations. In a state of 40 million people (and growing) there never will be enough tags for everyone… but if we can increase wildlife numbers, like we have with elk, more and more opportunity will become available over time.
In an all random system we ALL have the same odds.

It's OK I used to buy into the points game BS too...

Out of 40 million people in California there's less than half a million that are licensed hunters. The problem is that the powers that be don't have a clue about game management or they just don't give a 💩! The list is long with the things that are wrong with this state. Game management, forest management and not caring about sportsmen is just more to add to the ever growing list.

Doesn’t matter max or not..once max is done, you’re on the next level of point holders..which there are thousands of, and he next and so forth…over time the people getting in as young hunters don’t have a chance

Doesn’t matter max or not..once max is done, you’re on the next level of point holders..which there are thousands of, and he next and so forth…over time the people getting in as young hunters don’t have a chance
It’s crazy I know it… I’ve never sat down and done a little math until now little discouraging

I’m not very smart but if my math is correct and assuming no one changes their minds and puts in for different units and tags stay the same everything stays static(😂I know fat chance doesn’t account for the 377 max point holders that just applied for a point either)

If we look at 2023 stats and look at the elk unit that gives the most bull tags it will take a 12 year old starting to apply last year 75 years to catch the point creep and draw a bull tag with points. Given they don’t draw a random or youth tag.

Correct me if I’m wrong it’s been a while since I’ve been in schools😬 I kinda hope I messed up because that’s kinda depressing….

Exactly my point. Explained clearly.

Exactly my point. Explained clearly.
Here’s where the disconnect is… The next level of point holders is far, far less than the original, “ground floor” max point holders. In a previous post, I included a link to the applicants stats posted on the DFW website. It gives a breakdown of the number of applicants with max points, one less, two less, three less, etc..for all the various hunt draws, and, not surprisingly, the numbers fall off, dramatically. Throw in the biological fact that we all get older, and eventually age out, the young hunters of today DO have a chance to draw premium tags in the future… but only if they have the patience to wait until it’s their turn… which, understandably, maybe many years… Or not, if they draw on the random pool.

If you still choose to believe that there is no chance for a young hunter to draw premium tag in their future, I then would ask, how would you propose to make our system better? Be careful what you wish for… if you are a proponent of a system with everybody having an equal chance, remember that you’re in a state of 40 million people!

Here’s where the disconnect is… The next level of point holders is far, far less than the original, “ground floor” max point holders. In a previous post, I included a link to the applicants stats posted on the DFW website. It gives a breakdown of the number of applicants with max points, one less, two less, three less, etc..for all the various hunt draws, and, not surprisingly, the numbers fall off, dramatically. Throw in the biological fact that we all get older, and eventually age out, the young hunters of today DO have a chance to draw premium tags in the future… but only if they have the patience to wait until it’s their turn… which, understandably, maybe many years… Or not, if they draw on the random pool.

If you still choose to believe that there is no chance for a young hunter to draw premium tag in their future, I then would ask, how would you propose to make our system better? Be careful what you wish for… if you are a proponent of a system with everybody having an equal chance, remember that you’re in a state of 40 million people!
The 40 million people point is irrelevant. Not even half a million licensed hunters in this state.

It’s crazy I know it… I’ve never sat down and done a little math until now little discouraging

I’m not very smart but if my math is correct and assuming no one changes their minds and puts in for different units and tags stay the same everything stays static(😂I know fat chance doesn’t account for the 377 max point holders that just applied for a point either)

If we look at 2023 stats and look at the elk unit that gives the most bull tags it will take a 12 year old starting to apply last year 75 years to catch the point creep and draw a bull tag with points. Given they don’t draw a random or youth tag.

Correct me if I’m wrong it’s been a while since I’ve been in schools😬 I kinda hope I messed up because that’s kinda depressing….
When the junior reaches 75 years old how many others that are older in years will still be left in the pool? Probably not any. This is what people aren’t taking into account… Attrition. In a state like California, you almost have to think of Elk, Pronghorn, Sheep, and maybe even some of the most sought after mule deer tags as “once in a lifetime”. It’s so hard for people to understand because so few of us can project far into our own future.

People that still think the point system is BS… Well, that’s OK. Don’t apply then. Don’t build points. That just helps everyone else that is still in the game.

Last edited:
The 40 million people point is irrelevant. Not even half a million licensed hunters in this state.
It’s relevant because it shows that we live in a very, very populated state. Of course they are not all hunters… But if you look at our hunter numbers and compare to other states with lower populations and higher game numbers… in comparison. our odds in CA to draw some of our premium tags are much worse. A system that works well in other states may not have the same effect here in ours.

Last edited:
It’s relevant because it shows that we live in a, very, very populated state. Of course they are not all hunters… But if you look at our hunter numbers and compare to other states with lower populations and higher game numbers… in comparison. our odds in CA to draw some of our premium tags are much worse.
Honestly, at this point in the game, are these premium tags worth the wait as our big game populations dwindle to nothing? This state is a corrupt, sinking ship. I'll continue to hunt here until I leave in a few years. California can have my points if I don't draw a tag in the next couple of years. We are outnumbered here and it's not going to change without a true miracle!

Honestly, at this point in the game, are these premium tags worth the wait as our big game populations dwindle to nothing? This state is a corrupt, sinking ship. I'll continue to hunt here until I leave in a few years. California can have my points if I don't draw a tag in the next couple of years. We are outnumbered here and it's not going to change without a true miracle!
I hear ya… comparing how hunting is today to what it was like when I was a kid is downright depressing. But you gotta make the best of what we do have. Is it worth holding out for some of the premium hunts? Well, what other choice do you really have here in California? For me, I’ll always put in for premium hunts here…. But also apply in many other states so that I always have other options. I also make myself available to all my friends and their families to help out if they draw special tags . Sometimes tagging along is just as much fun for me as being the hunter in possession of that special tag. This has allowed me to go on many adventures, and gain valuable experience on a variety of hunts. Last year alone I got to help a buddy with an elk tag (NV Bull) and another friend, who drew a sheep tag here in California. Both hunts were epic!

Gotta stay positive!

I hear ya… comparing how hunting is today to what it was like when I was a kid is downright depressing. But you gotta make the best of what we do have. Is it worth holding out for some of the premium hunts? Well, what other choice do you really have here in California? For me, I’ll always put in for premium hunts here…. But also apply in many other states so that I always have other options. I also make myself available to all my friends and their families to help out if they draw special tags . Sometimes tagging along is just as much fun for me as being the hunter in possession of that special tag. This has allowed me to go on many adventures, and gain valuable experience on a variety of hunts. Last year alone I got to help a buddy with an elk tag (NV Bull) and another friend, who drew a sheep tag here in California. Both hunts were epic!

Gotta stay positive!
I hear you too. I was just kind of ranting a little. It gets depressing at times when I think of what could be and what is. This state could have amazing hunting if the powers that be would manage it right....but it's not a priority. Have a great day brother. Didn't mean to be a downer. Lol.

I’m not sure if has been mentioned. But, while we’re applying for that premium hunt, we can still hunt. Two CA buck tags every year. There’s no reason not to be hunting every year, if you want. There are not enough premium tags to go around, regardless of draw system. Me and a couple of buddies put in for multiple states every year. We may or may not hunt CA deer depending on tags drawn. Fortunately we’ll be very busy out of state this year.
Don

Has hunting in CA gone down hill? Yes in a lot of senses, but look at what our population has done. Still a lot of hunting out there if you want to work for it.
Is there better hunting is other states? Sure, but nowhere near as good as they use to be.
Point is you have to make the best of what you have.
I can show you a lot of true Blacktails that are better than a lot of people kill out of state mule deer hunting.

Has hunting in CA gone down hill? Yes in a lot of senses, but look at what our population has done. Still a lot of hunting out there if you want to work for it.
Is there better hunting is other states? Sure, but nowhere near as good as they use to be.
Point is you have to make the best of what you have.
I can show you a lot of true Blacktails that are better than a lot of people kill out of state mule deer hunting.
We have a lot of public ground compared to a lot of other states

When the junior reaches 75 years old how many others that are older in years will still be left in the pool? Probably not any. This is what people aren’t taking into account… Attrition. In a state like California, you almost have to think of Elk, Pronghorn, Sheep, and maybe even some of the most sought after mule deer tags as “once in a lifetime”. It’s so hard for people to understand because so few of us can project far into our own future.

People that still think the point system is BS… Well, that’s OK. Don’t apply then. Don’t build points. That just helps everyone else that is still in the game.
Yup no doubt. I’m not a math guy so I’m not sure how you would figure people changing their minds on units or giving up plays into the very broad example I gave. I was just saying if everything stayed the same for a 12 year old to reach their turn in that one example unit it would take 75 years to get through all the people with more points than said jr. Not taking into account for random or people changing minds or getting old or dying😂 to figure that out you need Somone smarter than me, I didn’t go to college for that😂. I’m only a few points behind max for elk and it will take me probably 10 more years to get close to catching point creep if everything stays static.

I’m not sure what you do to change it I feel kinda like you mentioned also the elk, some premium deer units, sheep, and antelope are OIL tags pretty much.

Ive never seen that in CA with elk or sheep tags
Check out the 23 elk stats happened in three different units. I’m going to guess it didn’t happen this year because the next tier of point holders will be more than the point tag quota
I didn’t look at sheep.
But it literally has to happen somtimes not saying it happens in the same unit every year but we would never get to that next level of point holders to become the new max if it didn’t happen
If that makes sense.(might not be every year)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom