Brownlee fishing

Idahoron

Very Active Member
Well I got back Sunday night from fishing at Brownlee, and the weather was NASTY! We fished Friday from about 1:00pm with a break, to dark. We fished all day Saturday, and Sunday morning until about 9:00am.
I could not wait to get there, and I about got my self a speeding ticket. When we pulled up we made camp fast, and I hit the water in the float tube. It was raining so Jacob my son decided to let the crazy old fat man go alone. I fished until about 3:00pm and went to camp. Jacob took some pictures of the first fish I got there. They were 3 cats and a crappie. I kept the crappie for bait.

firstcatsinbasket.jpg

firstbrownleecat.jpg

firsttwobrownleecats.jpg

At 5:00 I couldn't take it, and I wanted to go back out. Jacob was thinking I was crazy because it looked nasty with the clouds moving in. So he fished from shore and I hit the water in the tube. He took my picture with a good fish, and then he got a GREAT bass. It was 18? long and put up a heck of a fight.

BrownleeJacobsbass25.jpg

BrownleeJacobsbass15.jpg

Then it started to rain for real. I mean it was coming down in buckets. At the same time I was reeling fish in as fast as I could. When the lightning started to hit and the thunder started to clap I got off the water. Jacob took more pictures of the monsoon.

monsoonbasket.jpg

monsoonpig.jpg

Saturday it rained until about 8:00 and we got out late. The wind was bad, and we went out anyway. Jacob got a couple of cats and headed back to the shore. I got several and released the one?s that were under 18? and headed back ready to get out of the wind.
That evening I went back out and again the clouds looked like rain.
Jacob decided to fish the shore with my buddy John. Jacob got a couple more fish and John got his third fish Saturday night.

fatmanwithacat.jpg

Up to this point all the fish I got were on my medium weight rod with 8 pound test. I went back to the places I got fish before and found nothing. Then I went over by Jacob and John. I went down the bank a ways in the tube. I saw some things on the fish finder I liked. The bank went from 15 to 25 foot and the sharp drop had fish on it.
I cast parallel with the bank and went to work. The ultra light was hit BIG time, and the 4 pound test was singing. Jacob got a poor picture of me fighting a good sized cat with my UL.

ultralightbendo.jpg

firstultralightcat1.jpg

Soon I got another hit on the UL, and at first I said to them ?I think it is a small one?. Well when it came up I saw it was BIG and it headed to the bottom and it took me forever to get it in. When I landed it I said this fish is different. I think it is a flathead catfish! Man I have only been successful at cat fishing a few times now, but I KNOW that is a flathead.
The sky?s opened again, and it rained buckets but not as long this time. I pounded the fish again in the rain. We went back to camp, and the rain quit. We boned out three fish, and we had fresh fish for dinner Saturday night.
Sunday started out windy. Jacob, and I both went out in our tubes and I got one small cat about 18? and turned him loose. At 9:00am Jacob had enough of the wind and I went to camp with him. We got ready to go home, and headed for the cleaning station. I got a few pictures of my flathead, and the other fish. I forgot to take Jacobs picture with his cats.

myfirstflathead.jpg

ugly.jpg

flatheadfathead.jpg

amessoffish.jpg

amessoffish2.jpg

I wish Jacob had got more cats from his tube. He just didn't want to deal with the rain, and wind.
John got 3 catfish. One of his was 28? long and was heavy.
Jacob got 4 catfish, the three fish he kept were between 18? and 24?. His bass was an amazing fish in my book. I have never seen a Bass that big, but I don't fish that much for them.
I got 18 catfish on the trip most were between 20? and 24?. It was an amazing trip for me, but little on the slow side for Jacob and John. I want to go back next week but the reality is this will probably be my only trip this year. It was fun while it lasted. Ron

thisistheend.jpg

Looks like a fun trip but dang those cats are ugly fish. I think I hold grudge because I got severe food poisoning from catfish once.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

man thats a lot of cats you better get your mecurry level checked after eat'em all. LOL

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I'd worry more about the cooking oil than the mercury.
Nice catch of cats. That has to be a blast in a float tube. We don't see many flatheads on the Powder Arm but that size flathead is the best tasting cat I've ever ate. I was off the water when the rain hit Friday and cleaning fish at Hewitt Park when it came Saturday. Buckets is right! Terrible timing for this years chukar hatch.

It is so fun in a float tube catching cats. I am hooked like a junky. NOTHING pulls like a cat.
Our brood stock on chukars are too old to make it another year I think. I am also thinking it will be MANY years before we see chukar hunting again. I only heard one group of chukars fishing. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom