Black Bear kills woman in Downieville CA

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
It appears we have our first black bear death in California. It happened last week in Downeyville Ca a 81 year old woman was in her home when a black bear came into her house and mauled her. It had been reported that a bear was being aggressive and walking around homes in the area.
Then fish and game requested a depredation permit that was at first denied and then approved later. The F&G did trap the bear and dispatch it later and it was confirmed that it was the bear that killed the woman.

The CA. Fish & Game board fired their president because he went on a legal out of state cougar hunt and posted a picture of the dead cougar.
I had a Fish & Game biologist tell me that the board will not listen to their recommendations to have doe hunts in certain areas where there is a out of balance doe to buck ratio. They also deleted the word "GAME" out of their title because it reflects to hunting. It is now Fish & wildlife Dept.
When I lived in the Sierra Mountain foothills, most citizens lived by the three "S" rule when it came to problem bears or cougars. Shoot-shovel-shutup.
RELH

1718473408215.png

This guy was in my front yard last week

Horribly tragic and preventable event. Shame on them.

As we true sportsmen know this is what happens when games populations are left unchecked.

As stated above.
SSS.

Last edited:
Texas just passed a bunch of new trapping regs and the interest groups are getting positioned to shut down lion killing here. I guess all those Californians that immigrated here for a better life are going to "fix" our state for us. What is sad is the Game wardens have all said that the new regs are pretty much unenforcable. So the new wildlife board is passing every new reg set in front of them but the reality is the people who actually have to deal with lions are just going to keep doing what has to be done to manage the problem. Austin be dammed. Wildlife laws are getting as absurd as prohibition. Just designed to make criminals out of regular folks and not fix anything because there wasn't an actual problem anyway. Just politicians pandering to Karens.

Horribly tragic and preventable event. Shame on them.

As we true sportsmen know this is what happens when games populations are left unchecked.

As stated above.
SSS.
Lake Tahoe is a good example, the Bear huggers are enabling the bears and have done more harm than good , bring back the hounds , bear baiting and a spring season along with the fall season , that was a suggestion from a fish and game biologist.

The CA. Fish & Game board fired their president because he went on a legal out of state cougar hunt and posted a picture of the dead cougar.
I had a Fish & Game biologist tell me that the board will not listen to their recommendations to have doe hunts in certain areas where there is a out of balance doe to buck ratio. They also deleted the word "GAME" out of their title because it reflects to hunting. It is now Fish & wildlife Dept.
When I lived in the Sierra Mountain foothills, most citizens lived by the three "S" rule when it came to problem bears or cougars. Shoot-shovel-shutup.
RELH
We also no longer have a Hunting License it is now called a Hunting Privelege

I can see where shooting inside the city limits may be a problem, but you can't shoot a problem bear or lion anytime in CA ?

Last week south Lake Tahoe no charges filed. Lots of bears habituated to people/homes there and bear break-ins are a common occurence…

Horniac

This is what we get living in California. Members of the F&G board don't really like hunting and members of the Air Resources Board have outlawed gas and diesel vehicles. The writing is on the wall....hunting is going to be ratcheted back until that "privilege" goes away too. I would leave this state now but I can't because of my business.

Thus is what happens when the populations are too high for any animal they spread out and find new food sources. I think it was Blank who told me that the bears have a memory and will come back to food sources time and time again.
There are new daily Mountain Lion sightings every day and it will be the tree huggers who yell the loudest when their pets go missing.......

We also no longer have a Hunting License it is now called a Hunting Privelege
Man you guys are pathetic over there!!:ROFLMAO:

I don’t feel one once if sympathy for a single person who chooses to live in that state. You guys have absolutely nothing to ***** about. You know where you live and what it is

I don’t feel one once if sympathy for a single person who chooses to live in that state. You guys have absolutely nothing to ***** about. You know where you live and what it is
Yes,. Cali is pathetic. However we are not alone. Mabe you need to check the prescription on the Bubbles glasses in your profile pic, JPickett :ROFLMAO: You should take a closer look at your states regulations. All the fish and game, or should I say Fish and Wildlife agancies are being run by a new generation of wokes.

Colorado also swithced to the term Hunting Privelage several years ago.

JP, sounds like you can do whatever, whenever and nothing is anchoring you. We're not all in that situation and I hope you don't take it for granted. Would I like to pull up roots simply due to the political climate in California? Absolutely! However, I'm not loaded with cash, I live on property with family that are too long in the tooth to start anew in another state and I'm pretty loyal to them. It'll be about 10 years for my wife and I to call California our former home. I'll miss fishing offshore for kings and lings, waterfowl hunting 25 minutes from home, deer hunting in beautiful country 2 hours from home and the weather of course.

Back to your last post, isn't your "fish and game" department called Parks and Wildlife and your wardens are wildlife officers? Colorado is going the way of California faster than good Colorado folks want to admit. Regarding boys and girls bathrooms, that's a silly argument. Refer to Colorado HB23 that went into affect this year. It's the tip of the iceberg. Illogical regulations and laws will become the norm.

California banned hound hunting for bears in 2013 or so. Colorado did it in the early 90's. If you don't fight like hell, cats will be off the table next. Then all cat and Bear hunting will be banned. It's been talked about for years in California.

Mountain lion hunting was banned in the early 90's in California. They're a protected species. We currently have population estimates of 3-4x the carrying capacity. Liberals in the big cities are barley starting to see the effects of human habituated lions and bears. It'll continue to worsen before there is a sliver of hope in reversing course.

The progressive agenda is a snowball that won't stop unless like minded, rational people, stand up and sacrifice a bit. I'm one of those people that needs to do more. Unless, it's a cause that our representatives can use for financial gain or reelection, writing my legislators and signing petitions is fruitless. I'll keep doing it though. I'm the definition of insanity!

Or, we could all take your advice and leave California. However, we'd get bitched at for doing that too.

Sometimes life takes you where you don't want to go but have to keep your job , lifestyle and family happy.
We here in California refer to ourselves as transplants most of us are not from here but came for work.
It's not great but you do have the weather and the ocean and no shoveling sidewalks all winter

Geez, a dang predator attacked an ate some ol lady. Kinda what happens from time to time. Comifornia has incredible hunting right now for GIANT, OLD, bears! Take advantage of it.

Sometimes life takes you where you don't want to go but have to keep your job , lifestyle and family happy.
We here in California refer to ourselves as transplants most of us are not from here but came for work.
It's not great but you do have the weather and the ocean and no shoveling sidewalks all winter
i got caught up in the same trap as a kid chasing money. then got my priorities straight and realised i wasn't going to raise a family in a sewer. took a pay cut for a better way of life some time ago. worked out. i make more now than i ever would have there in a better place and raised a family where i wanted. they're grown up now and better for it.

comes down to what matters to you i suppose

My retirement gig, I work 4 months a year in a logging camp. I'm 30 mins from Downieville. Been here 2 weeks, on huntable USFS land. Seen 8 bears. All good ones. Big and color phased. My bird dog( gsp) treed one last night by my camp. If I needed another big chocolate bear rug, I'd get a non-resident tag in two nano seconds. I still might.
20240616_192234.jpg

My retirement gig, I work 4 months a year in a logging camp. I'm 30 mins from Downieville. Been here 2 weeks, on huntable USFS land. Seen 8 bears. All good ones. Big and color phased. My bird dog( gsp) treed one last night by my camp. If I needed another big chocolate bear rug, I'd get a non-resident tag in two nano seconds. I still might.View attachment 149023
wow....great co;or

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom