Bison adventure

maddog58

Just returned from a totally amazing bucket list trip. Got to go on a cow bison hunt on the Crow Reservation in Montana.
It all started about 18 months ago when I contacted Vargo consultants (30Hart) about doing a bison hunt. After discussing the hunt with Brad it seemed to be a perfect bucket list trip. Joining me on this adventure would be my wife.
We arrived at Lodge grass to meet up with my guide DL at 2:00pm on Wed to head up the hill for some scouting. We began our 2 1/2hr journey to the top of the Bighorn Mountains where the scenery was totally amazing.

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

On the way to the top we saw some grouse. When we finally reached the top of the mountains and the old sheep herder cabin it began to lightning and rain like crazy. Looks like no scouting today.

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

A sleepless night turned into an early morning wake up and the excitement was driving me crazy. We climbed out our sleeping bags to a beautiful crisp morning. Grabbed a quick apple danish and off we were to fulfill a lifetime dream

All around the cabin we could hear elk. Not too far from camp a couple of cows and calves appeared coming up from a spring. After watching them for a few we continued on to some glassing spots. Unfortunately nothing but beautiful scenery was to be found. Moved to another spot to take a peek and suddenly DL says “there they are”. Out of the trees a herd of Buffalo began to come out at a slow trot

IMG_8232.jpeg

Holy cow, I had no clue which one to choose. They all looked alike pretty much and we were looking for a dry cow. One after another passed and either the cow had a calf or they were blocked by others

IMG_8255.jpeg

DL and I headed to the trees to try and get closer. That strategy worked perfect as we came out 103yds from the herd of about 400. As I’m looking at them all DL says I’ve found the perfect one. Only problem was is that there were too many bison surrounding her. She was staring straight at me and DL said can you make that shot. I said yes but needed a couple of calves to clear first. As soon as they were clear I touched offa round with the 28 Nosler shooting 163gr Hammers. A big Wap and the cow crashed down. We waited a minute and DL said she’s dead. Woo hoo. But wait, as we move up she jumps to her feet and starts to trot with the herd. Oh crap what’s happening. I put the crosshairs on her and moved closer. As she stopped to look around I put another round right in the boiler room and it was all over.

IMG_8293.jpeg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom