Best State For B&C Trophies

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
Interesting... ;-)

http://blog.eastmans.com/whats-the-best-state-to-live-in-to-take-bc-animals/

Screen-Shot-2014-07-14-at-8.20.37-AM.png

So, if you could live anywhere, and maybe in this age you can, what western state should you move to for the best shot at taking a trophy room full of Boone & Crockett trophies? Before you read on or look at the chart to the left, grab a napkin and quickly draw a chart with the game you care about most and write down the states you'd consider. Then make a guess at filling in each state?s ranking for each animal.

If you count all four species of western deer, the three species of elk, antelope, desert and Rocky Mountain bighorns, mountain goats and mountain lions, moose, bison and black bear you get the 15 recognized B&C categories for the U.S. western states.

The state with most #1 rankings over the last 10 years is . . . (envelope please) . . . California. Of course, you knew that, right? They?re #1 in black bear (surprise!), blacktail deer, Roosevelt's elk and tule elk. Not excited about joining California?s millions or paying Golden State taxes?

Let's try again. Say your interest is the Big 3 ? antelope, mule deer and elk. Pack your bags for Wyoming. They?ve got plenty of room for ya, plus they're 1st in antelope, 3rd in mule deer, 5th in elk and #1 in Shiras moose, not to mention #1 for bison. If you care more about elk and deer than antelope and moose, point the UHaul toward Utah ? #1 in Rocky Mountain elk, #2 in mule deer and #8 for antelope. As a bonus, they're also #1 in goats and you can hunt bison, at which they're second best.

Wait, you're more into the ?trophy? species ? sheep, goat and moose? Montana ranks #1 by a wide margin for Rocky Mtn. bighorns, #2 on both Rocky Mountain goats and moose and has more book entries for cougar than any other state.

Don?t leave out Colorado. The Centennial State dominates in mule deer. They?re also tops in whitetails and second in both black bear and cougar. Colorado is 3rd in Rocky Mountain bighorns, has a few tags for desert sheep and ranks 4th in trophy antelope. That's not a bad combination. Surprisingly, although Colorado has loads of elk it is below average for book heads at #6.

Overall, Montana, Colorado and California share the honors for the most top three entries with five while Wyoming and Utah have four apiece. But, good news ? every western state is represented. Maybe housing costs or taxes will tip the scales; your wife doesn't like snow; your parents want to be close to your kids . . . It can't just be as simple as the best trophy hunting for your favorite species, can it?

By Dave Hoshour

See what the KALI Hunters did to TARDvilles Hunting?:D

(((RAZZIN Ya HH!:D)))

Hope all is Well!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Well I sure do love living in Wyoming. Have gotten most species except Sheep and moose. And with time and effort a guy can get a nice animal. Wyoming does have some monster mountain goats but with a small amount of tags and most people want to shoot the first thing in sight I think Wyoming deserves credit for it.. but the heards are growing strong and more tags are being issued

WY technically ties Cali if you consider the fact that Tule Elk are only in Cali so therefore it would be impossible for any other state to have entries.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Good discussion, Harry. Ease of license acquisition is a major factor. When that is considered, my Wyoming wins hands down. But Colorado has the best opportunity and quality for mule deer.

But the real problem with the analysis is that you left out Canada. If I was 19 and free, I'd definitely move to Alberta. Great mule deer, super sheep. Multiple bears per year. Top whitetails. Good elk. Moose every year. Even some B&C antelope in the SE corner of the province. Just a great place. And if you can stand the rain/moisture, BC would also be a top choice.

And Saskman proves every year that Sask might have the best overall mule deer if you are a resident. Watch Cody Robbins and that proves it as well.

But good fodder for discussion.

I think you're dead nuts center on each account Jim.

Shy of them darn Canucks, as a hunter count your lucky stars that you're a Wyoming resident. :)

Archery deer and salmon season opened here last week.
Pixels will surely follow, Hoping your season goes well...

HH

Now that we can no longer run dogs, I think California will lose it's top spot for Black Bears. Maybe not.

Harry, lets go salmon fishing, rock fishing, crabbing, steelhead fishing, brant hunting, surf fishing, razor clamming, etc. and drive to Wyoming once in awhile. Or maybe Colorado or Nevada:)

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom