Best Muzzleloader?

monstermuleyhunter

I have used a break open .50 shooting 100-150 grains of pellets with sabots and havent had much luck finding a load that I can get to a good pattern at 200 plus yards...I have a buddy that killed a big bull at 380 with one shot but hes not a good enough buddy to share any load information...im open to buying a new muzzleloader so please share your thoughts and opinions. I hope to get a new gun and load set upo before the hunt. Thanks in advance

The best muzzleloader is probably the one you shoot best. I have a CVA Accura that has a nice trigger and shoots 250 gr barnes tezs very accurate with 100 grs of 777. I feel very confident at a little over 200 yards with my rifle. I really don't want to shoot further but probably could with a heavier powder charge and 290 grain barnes.

Can't tell if you are real or just trying to stir the pot, but lets assume you are real.

If your friend said he killed a bull at that distance he was either:
1)Telling a fib
2) Very lucky
3) Is an amazing, 1 in 1000 shooter.

I have been shooting a muzzleloader for over 20 years (own 4 of them) and would never consider taking a shot that long.

If you are able to get a "good pattern" at 200 yards, you are with 99% of us. Muzzleloaders are not 400 yard guns for 999/1000 of us. Are you 1 in 1000? I am not.

To futher answer your question, it is probably not the gun. And another "truth" about muzzleloading is that no two guns will shoot the same bullet and powder the same. You have to find the sweet spot for your gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

That buddy of yours wouldn't be a buddy of mine shooting at anything 380 yards away with a ML for God's sake!!!

Hell yea! Find a rope! Let's string that sumbitch up and tie a rubber band around his sack! Judast! He's probably a tard! Hell, I'm a tard!

Sorry, got carried away. Did you say he shot that bull with open sights or a high powered scope?

Try to shoot less grains of powder and a lighter bullet. Start with 80 grains of powder (loose) and maybe a 275 grain bullet. The farther you shoot the more energy your bullet will loose so anything past 200 yards is risking it. Most bullet manf. have charts you can look at that will help out alot. Good luck.

380 yards is totally out of my ability or desire. I shoot a Thompson Triumph I like it and shoot it well. Saying that I shot today and feel good out to 200 yards with a live target and no wind. From a bench I'm a 6 inch group at 300 yards with my Leupold Ultimate Grand Slam scope (silly name). I shoot 2 pellets 100 grains and 250 PTX Sabots. My gun will not group well with anything over 100 grains of powder. My previous ML was a Knight and it shot 3 50 grain pellets pretty well. I don't know what a bullet would drop at 380 yards but would guess it would be around 5 feet depending on powder or pellet selection.

Best of luck but understand your abilities.

Some shoot loose powder better than pellets with mine there is no difference so I use Pyrodex pellets. I used 777 with my Knight the Thompson seems to like Pyrodex.

Might as well clear up the "380 yard shot". Using a 250 grain bullet with a BC of .172 at 2100 fps here is what you get at 380 yards.......7' of drop if dead on at 100 yards. Better then that the retained energy would be 560 ft-lbs.......THAT IS 50% OF THE ENERGY OF A .22-250!!!! No offense to the original idea on the post but I must cry BS!

>Might as well clear up the
>"380 yard shot". Using a
>250 grain bullet with a
>BC of .172 at 2100
>fps here is what you
>get at 380 yards.......7' of
>drop if dead on at
>100 yards. Better then that
>the retained energy would be
>560 ft-lbs.......THAT IS 50% OF
>THE ENERGY OF A .22-250!!!!
>No offense to the original
>idea on the post but
>I must cry BS!

My thoughts exactly, as well as have you heard of anyone keeping "secret" his special load, so a friend doesn't steal it? What would be the point? Smells fishy to me.

txhunter58

To the original post question.

290 grain Barnes TMZ
Winchester 209 primer
Harvestor yellow sabot
120 (v) BH209..

Works in my TC Encore Endeavor & Knight LRH.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]I am "real" and not joking about what this "buddy" of mine says....hes an avid hunter and is definately a great shot. I certainly do trust what he says but obviousley 380yards is out of this world....so I will just take it with a grain of salt and move on....I shoot a CVA Optima and use pellets...I have only found accuracy with shoting a 250 grain sabot with 100 grains of powder but just cant get much distance...about 150 it all goes to sh't. I have been after the same buck for 5 years and have never been able to get within 220 yards on the muzzleloader hunt and by the rifle hunt he has turned into a ghost. Anyways I do appreciate any help. Thanks guys

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]I shoot a thompson encore and shoot a group I dare not mention here since most would call BS. But at 100 yards, it shoots real sweet. I use 100 grains loose pyrodex powder, 300 grain speer or Hornady XT pistol bullet with knight black sabots and CCI shotgun primers. I have shot it at 200 and 300 yards and it shoots great groups. My longest shot I would take is 200 yards at deer and 150 at elk. But I wanted to see what it could do at 300 and was surprised at the accuracy at that yardage. It would be nuts to shoot that far- only wounding and not killing. Like it has been said before, you have to work up a load to see what your weapon will shoot. Change out powder, bullets, amount of powder etc until you find what works for you. Your current weapon is just fine- but it takes work and practice to find the right load.

Also- the encore is topped with a 1x leupold prismatic scope-

Have you tried shooting heavier bullets? Say a 290 or 300gr? You need to find the combo for your rifle. Get some bh209 and start working.

David- how are you liking the harvestor sabots? Loading easier now? Any change in groups? I knew you would like them!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]

Accuracy with any muzzleloader is pretty simple: trial and error because as stated, every muzzy is different. Trying a longer bullet (heavier) might stabalize it at longer distances. Also using loose powder is what I would try next as you can "tweak" a load much easier. When I am trying to work up a new load/bullet, I load 90 grains of powder, shoot three times, then 95 gr, shoot three times, then 100, 105 and 110. Since 150 yards is my max, I don't go higher on the powder. I would also limit my shots to a max of 200-250 yards if you respect the elusive buck you are chasing.

I would also lose any "buddy" who would not share what load he is using. Not sharing a honey hole is one thing, not sharing a muzzy load is just rude. That said, what he uses in his gun might not shoot well from your gun.

txhunter58

Monstermuleyhunter and others,

I am not saying that a 380 yard hit is not possible, rather that 500 ft-lbs of impact energy is just not enough for numerous reasons. Find the right amount of powder (loose IMO) and many muzzleloaders will group well past 200 yards.

Cahunter...

Just rough sighted in the knight. Between those sabots and the SpinJag loader, it is a dream to load now. Fixing to do some shooting this weekend. Finally got the scope on the HS. 2 weeks and it is game on!

delmag1942---That comment on the long shot is bascially what I was referring to also. You may be able to figure out the drop and windage to hit one that far, but the energy level would be damn near like a bee sting on a big bull at that distance (stretching it just a little, LOL)!

TC Omega + 100grn Pyrodex + 3PEZ Sabot + 300grn Shockwave/Hornady SST + 1x scope = 1' to 1-1/4" group at 100 yards for me.

I'm happy with that :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom