Beginner Duck Hunter Locations

wesleycp

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-18 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-18 AT 02:41?PM (MST)

I live in the Idaho Falls/Rexburg area. Recently moved here and really do not know anybody. :( However, I want to get my duck hunting on. I heard the snake river has great locations.

My question is, when scouting blind onto BLM what exactly kind of terrain/locations am i looking for, does anybody know of any relative good locations for duck hunting or what I'm looking for?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I don't know anyone. lol

I live on the other side of the state but hunt the river over here. So, should be similar. Hike to the river, get up high (stay away from the bank), and watch the birds. You'll find out quick enough where they land. If you don't have a dog, it's going to be tough cause the birds once shot will land in the water, and it can be deep. Otherwise, look for the many blinds that have been built along the bank. That should get you started.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-18 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]I DO have a dog, but she won't be ready for another season or two. She is only 4 months.

Thanks for the help! And I plan to look for shallower areas. :)

430033771007917680201799009444450003366138871808n.jpg

If she has the instincts, she'll hunt next year. She might cost you more ducks that she retrieves for you but the dogs are what makes it fun. Teach Sit, Here, and be very careful with gun training. Lot's of books.

I switched over to Upland, mostly Chukar, here in Idaho, but chased a lot of waterfowl in Central Cali, and miss the blind with my old lab. She was obsessed and amazed me every trip. Takes about 3yrs for them to become a veteran.

>I live on the other side
>of the state but hunt
>the river over here. So,
>should be similar. Hike to
>the river, get up high
>(stay away from the bank),
>and watch the birds.
>You'll find out quick enough
>where they land. If
>you don't have a dog,
>it's going to be tough
>cause the birds once shot
>will land in the water,
>and it can be deep.
> Otherwise, look for the
>many blinds that have been
>built along the bank.
>That should get you started.
>

+1.

Have only hunted the Snake 3 times. There was a lot of pressure, and the birds were in different spots every day. As Dan said, get up high, use your spotter to find the birds, then setup there the next morning exactly where the birds were landing.

It usually makes for a good hunt. At least on this side of the state around Boise with all the yahoos, you almost have to scout a spot before every single hunt. But the limits of mallards are out there certainly, even on public land.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-18 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]So are you saying choose locations based on where the birds are stopping and going instead of picking based off of terrain/vegetation/water conditions? Sorry if I sound stupid. Like most hunters, I want my scouting to be as valuable as possible. And being in Idaho for first time and season is coming up, I wana get at least a few for sure. :)

Yep, I think what TwoSnows and I are saying is you are hunting birds that are coming in to sit on water before (or after) feeding in the fields. Make sure you are there at first and last light, although there are some times in between when the birds want to go to water.

I got ya, that makes total sense..Thanks so much you guys, everyone. I am really glad I joined this forum and I hope I can get some luck this season.

Mud Lake and Market Lake WMA's are great early, until the freeze. Then you need to get out on the river. Anywhere around Beaver ##### Park on the North Fork or Menan up to Burns Creek can be some amazing shooting. During December, people hunting in jet boats will keep the birds moving all day. The trout fishing isn't too bad while you're waiting either!

Hey thanks, I saw those lake(s) on my "OnXmaps" and was curious about that. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, I love fishing any day any weather so thanks! :)

Some things I would look for if your planning on hunting the snake without a boat or a dog is inlets and places where you can hunt something other than the main channel. The main channel is swift and deep for the most part and you will lose more ducks than you find while your hunting that stuff.

Some of the other options already mentioned are great though. Because they are so close to Idaho Falls and Rexburg, they can get hit pretty hard, so if you can make it out during the weekdays then you definitely up your odds of not having people everywhere.

In my experience though having a decent amount of people out there isn't always a bad thing if you can find your own spot away from the commotion. All the people helps keep the birds in the air and then you just hope you can pull them in.

Yes, I agree. Unlike virtually all other hunting, duck hunting is a "more is better" affair. Keeping ducks moving instead of swimming is important.

Yeah, Since my dog is still too young, I was thinking about checking out the inlets like you said to ensure clean kills. Thanks! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom