AZ Elk Trail Cam Pics

LVTHNT

All of us at HPO have been blessed this year again to spend some quality time looking at velvet bulls and watching them grow. We are lucky to live in Flagstaff and sometimes take it for granted but this time of year when we are out pulling SD cards and looking at bulls every night it is a great reminder just how lucky we are.

I thought I would post a few pictures of some good bulls and some truly unique pictures that we have captured over the past month. There has been a lot of talk about lack of growth from the dry winter what do you guys think from the pictures?
The new Stealth Cameras are truly unreal. We are using their new G30. It takes great day time pictures but what are truly exceptional are the night time pictures that it takes. If you are in the market for a new trail camera check out the new Stealth Cam G42 and G30 cameras. They are truly amazing. We are getting 15,000-20,000 pictures on a set of 8 AA batteries with these things. I would have never believed that it could happen.

Another product that has made a huge difference for our pictures is Critter Lick. This stuff is incredible and will bring in the bulls from all over right up to the camera so you can capture the pictures you need to see the trophy quality of the animal. During the dry period of June we set up on water sources but once the rains come the Critter Lick will bring them in to one location for pictures when the water has them spread out.

I hope you enjoy a few pictures. Let me know what you think.

What should we name the last picture?

High Point Outfitters.net
9437hpo-critter-stealth.jpg

2906stc_0295_copy_copy.jpg

7863sunp0458_edited-1.jpg

1752stc_0072_copy.jpg

2268stc_0097_copy.jpg

9402stc_0133_copy.jpg

9365stc_0137_copy.jpg

2259stc_0307_copy.jpg

6361stc_1296_1.jpg

8030stc_1338_copy.jpg

8764stc_1352_copy.jpg

3973sunp0042.jpg

9601stc_4517.jpg

I thought the only thing you were allowed to use as an attractant was salt now with the new rules passed?

Does flagstaff have an exception?

Critter lick is a salt based product that is also used for the livestock industry. But this is irrelevant as the statute discusses not using any non-salt substance to aid in harvesting big game. We are not harvesting big game rather we are taking pictures. I hope this helps.

What did you think of the pictures?

Do you have a name for the last picture?

Good Looking pics. I wish I had an elk tag this year. As far as the last picture that is pretty amazing being able to capture them mid fight like that..

Any deer coming into the cameras?

John

I LOVE the photos. I wish we grew our bulls that big here in the Hualapais haha.

As far as the letter of the law here, I just want to make sure we are on the same page.
It actually reads:
No baiting "for the purpose of ATTRACTING or taking big game"

So you can't use bait to attract big game.

However we have our awesome Exceptions:
"a. Water.
b. Salt.
c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry."

I can't see anywhere on Critter Lick's website that talks about the livestock industry, so it would appear to me to not fall under the exceptions...

AZ4life

Here is the wording of the new rule that went into effect in 2013. It relates to "taking" or harvesting of wildlife not "taking" of pictures. It says nothing about "attracting" of wildlife. I hope this helps.

In addition to the prohibitions prescribed under A.R.S. ?? 17-301 and 17-309, the following devices, methods, and ammunition are unlawful for taking any wildlife in this state:

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:
a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or
b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.
5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.
6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:
a. Water.
b. Salt.
c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.
d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations

You didn't read section 4. a. careful enough brother. We are quoting the exact same new statute. It says "for the purpose of Attracting OR taking..." Read it. Unlawful.

Tell the Critter Lick guys to put something on the product saying it is made for livestock or big game, and maybe that would get you there...

Read 4 again, closely. "a" which you are hung up on relates to 4 it is not a stand alone sentence. It says you can't attract big game to aid in taking big game. This relates to hunting not taking pictures.

Seems like you just want to stir the pot, go else where to do that.

If that is the official interpretation, I wouldn't mine throwing some stronger attractants in front of my cameras. But it also doesn't take a very big stretch of the imagination to see how an officer could possibly draw the conclusion that using non-exempt bait to attract game to a camera for scouting could AID that person in the eventual taking of said game. I'm obviously on the conservative side of the apparent grey area.

I'm going to agree with AZ4Life on this one. LV2HNT, you are taking the word "Take" to literal and really need to confirm what the definition of "Take" is to the AZGFD. In California, the Department of Fish and Wildlife's definition of "Take" is:

Definition of ?Take?: to hunt, pursue, catch, capture
or kill or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture or
kill. (FGC 86)

IMO, if AZGFD has a definition identical to this you are in violation. Double check to save yourself a huge headache.

I found it for you in the AZ regs. I'll let you read it and interpret it.

?Take? means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing,
trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife
or the placing or using of any net or other device
or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing
or killing of wildlife.

Bwht4x4 & az4life

It doesn't say anything about just taking pictures. You do realize the pictures they have now is not where these animals will be come hunting season right. They scatter with the monsoon rains and will eventually move into their rutting areas which could be several miles or more away and btw Take means to harvest wildlife.

This is the reason guys stop posting on these forums because of guys like you. I enjoy seeing pictures and when you guys keep hammering on what you think the law says it ruins it for the rest of the guys who enjoy seeing the pictures.

>Bwht4x4 & az4life
>
>It doesn't say anything about just
>taking pictures. You do realize
>the pictures they have now
>is not where these animals
>will be come hunting season
>right. They scatter with the
>monsoon rains and will eventually
>move into their rutting areas
>which could be several miles
>or more away and btw
>Take means to harvest wildlife.
>
>
>This is the reason guys stop
>posting on these forums because
>of guys like you. I
>enjoy seeing pictures and when
>you guys keep hammering on
>what you think the law
>says it ruins it for
>the rest of the guys
>who enjoy seeing the pictures.
>

Your definition of "take" means to harvest wildlife, but the regulatory agencies that manage wildlife don't define take as only killing. All you have to read is the definition above that I provided. CA and the United States Fish and Wildlife have similar definitions of "take."

I enjoy trail cam picts and use trail cams too some times. These comments have nothing to do with trail cams. It has to do with the use of CritterLick. I personally could care less if someone uses it. All I'm trying to do is be helpful and let folks know that a warden or conservation officer may find this a violation and write a citation. Here in CA we have a similar definition of "take" and the use of an attractant like CritterLick would likely result in a citation.

Best of luck and hopefully you guys harvest a few big ones this year.

Amazing pictures!
Just curious if any of these bulls are area 9? My uncle drew 9 (finally) Just wanting to share the pics with him and get him even more excited.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom