Area 57 or 55 for big bucks?

IDAHO RES

My 14 year old son was lucky enough to draw in area 55-1. We have been out trying to learn the area but I am hoping for some guidance! I have always heard stories of the black pine monsters but I have been told it isn’t like it used to be. The brush in 57 is daunting and without knowing the pattern of local herds it seems almost impossible. My main question is if we are better off hunting 55 or if we should give 57 a chance. Any information or guidance would be extremely helpful!

I hunted the early (October) season on unit 57 (black pine) many years ago. It was really tough for me, but I did not really have any intel on the unit and never had any snow or weather events to help me out. I would probably do things much differently nowadays if I had the tag, but I don’t think I would ever apply for that particular hunt again. I don’t know anything about the “black pine monsters”. My impression is that this is one of those units where hunter numbers are controlled because it would not stand up to general season pressure. I think some deer migrate between the Utah and the Idaho Black Pine unit, but not sure when that happens. You can view this on the wildlife migration.utah.gov/land-animals/corridors/ website.

The monster days on Blackpine are no more. Occasionally a nice buck comes off there, but not often anymore. If your after a 22 inch four point you can probably find one in 57.

The monster days on Blackpine are no more. Occasionally a nice buck comes off there, but not often anymore. If your after a 22 inch four point you can probably find one in 57.
Do you know if 55 is worth anything? I have heard they tend to stay on private land for the most part. A four point wouldn’t be too small for us by any means, but I would rather hunt 55 anyway. 57 seems like an awful place to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom