Archery this year?? Go early or wait till last week?...:)

On archery elk season... this year.. go early or go late?. Whatcha think?. Drew 61 archery:)
Hunt the entire month if you can, but if you can only hunt 1 week. Go early, the moon phases is good the first week of September this year. It will also be easier to call mature bulls in before they get with the cows.

In 61, it’s not like you will have trouble finding elk. And the experience of listening to bugles is one I wouldn’t want to miss. If I had it, I would go the last 2 weeks. And you may not have this tag again, maybe try to schedule more than one week.

I would hunt late in the season. The muzzle load hunters will be gone the final week. There is nothing like being surrounded by bugling bulls. I don’t know how experienced you are, but learn different cow calls. You don’t know what might get a bull’s attention. You will also need to bugle. If a bull is giving you the “ here I am baby “ response and stops, go in the opposite direction and call like you’re leaving, most likely he’ll call again, saying “ don’t leave me honey”. He was expecting for you to have already been to him. You are going to have a great time.

Thankyou guys for your input. Yes i have the whole month if needed. But will target 2 weeks the first half or the last half. Have decent amount of experience 3 archery bulls and a few cows. Including a 340" last year in wyoming 113. Solo. Only archery no muzzy's. So pretty much had the whole place to my self. Guessing 61 will be busy during the 3rd week . So still debating. :)

Don’t worry no matter what week you picked you may wish you picked a different week… last year, southern Co bulls were going nuts Sept 1st near a buddies cabin, central co was super quite, later spent the last 4 days in north central Co. it was hot and quite! Guys had bulls going nuts 4 days before and they clammed up the last few days I think we heard 4 bugles total. I’d just pick some dates and stick with it, so many variables that go into when the elk go nuts. My 2 biggest are 1. When the cows there cycle 2. Temperature if in’s hot and dry I’d imagine cows will take a bit longer to get to the magic 10% body fat required to cycle I would aim for later in the month

I know a lot of guys who swear by hunting the first week.

I hunted elk early exactly 1 time in my life. I never made that mistake again.

I will always pick middle to late dates in September. I know the argument about bulls having cows by then and be herded up so the large bulls are hard to get but I love the calling just as much or more as the big horns so I start hunting around the Sept 10th on, if I only have a week to week and a half Ill start the 14 or 15th. Mid to later for me.

Cool cool. Appreciate all the feed back. And agree.. Hopefully i will be posting some pictures come September:)).. going to try to hold out for something on the upper end of the unit 61 offers. And enjoy the time doing it...Hopefully. :))

I've had good luck anytime after the first full week, as long as hot weather doesn't set in for a few days. Don't pay attention to moon phase, as elk will rut in September no matter what, it's in their DNA. It's the heat that'll slow things down.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom