Antelope Max Points - October Hunt Advice Needed

nripepi

Very Active Member
I have max points for Antelope and I was looking at burning them this year, but I cannot hunt until around October 1. I am looking for some advice on what unit(s) may be better in the season.

Just based on odds, it looks like 57 is the best unit out there, followed by 60, 61 and 58. 61 is out based on last year's dates (season ends the end of September), but that is the unit I was sort of leaning towards. 57 gives out 200 tags vs. 50 in 58. My question really is, will 57 be shot out by then because it gives out more tags and 58 would be better? I know the unit is about twice as big as 58 and has a smaller percentage of checkerboard than 58. Are there any migratory issues (weather and pressure) in these units that might make one better or worse than the other?

I will have a week to dedicate to the hunt and I will be holding out for an 80-inch buck as long as I can! Thanks for any help and I would be happy to exchange any information from the following units which I have hunted:

67, 63, 62, 22 and I have been around quite a bit looking at lopes in 64, 88, 89 and some in 61.

Feel free to PM or E-mail.

Thanks a bunch!

Nino

I'm not sure you can say any of those areas is "better" than the other based on odds. 61 would be out based on last year's dates, but this year it will have a later start date than it has for many years. The biologist would know what end date they are leaning toward. If they keep it the same length it should run into October.

You don't run the risk of any of those areas being "shot out", as there simply is not the quota in place for that.

You stand about an equal chance of finding an 80"+ buck in any of those areas. It's more of a question of recognizing that size of buck.

Antelope will start to herd up and possibly move to different areas as October progresses depending on the area, but around Oct 1 you will find the rut still in full swing and antelope generally where they have been the previous month.

I would pick the hunt with the dates that work for you, the lowest quota and bang for your points.

+1. HiMtnHntr nailed it. Everything he said is spot on. 80" bucks aren't everywhere, but they are there to be had. Like any other big game animal, older bucks are smarter. I think people tend to underestimate them sometimes.

In those units mentioned that I am familiar with, antelope begin herding up for migration late in Oct.

+1 guys and since antelope bucks are one of the harder animals to judge they are a real challenge. I always fall back on what the late, great Jack OConnor said and that is if he looks big at a first glance to get your attention he probably is! You definitely need to get looks at one from different angles though before you squeeze the trigger and walk up and find ground shrinkage. If a guy has enough time, gets out and does some hiking off the roads, and knows how to judge pronghorns, IMHO he can kill an 80" buck in an awful lot of the units in WY.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the recommendation is to go with a unit with fewer tags if you are going to go late or maybe that is what I want to hear. Just trying to decide between 57 and 58. I understand it is very possible that I won't shoot an 80-incher, I just hope to see one in a week of hard hunting.

I've hunted both units 57 in 10 and 58 in 01 I killed a 77 both times and both times I swore they were over 80. I guess that just shows I can't judge antelope. I hunted opening week in 57 and the 2nd week in 58. I believe 57 was 250 tags then I only saw 2 other trucks of hunters in 4 days. In 01 I tagged out the first day I hunted but messed around in the unit a couple of more days saw 1 other hunter. Have fun I think either will be a great tag I'd love to have.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom