Antelope draw results?

BRUIN4L

Anyone know why antelope draw results haven't been posted? I got my elk B results but antelope still says pending. I thought maybe they were still doing surveys to decide on quotas for the season.

I ended up getting turned down on the state side, but drew a Fort Peck non tribal tag. Anyone ever mess around in there? It’s close to home so I thought I’d see what it’s all about. Not expecting much 😳

I ended up getting turned down on the state side, but drew a Fort Peck non tribal tag. Anyone ever mess around in there? It’s close to home so I thought I’d see what it’s all about. Not expecting much 😳
Could have thrown a rock and hit tribal land where I shot his buck near Fort Peck.

buzzant4.jpg

There was a fort peck guide and his hunter waiting for this buck to cross onto the tribal land when I killed it.

The hunting around there is sort of ho-hum for pronghorn, average bucks.

Myself and my 13 year old boy each drew antelope tags and added some doe tags on. Hope the herd in the 700s is looking better than it was last year!

Here is the montana fish and game report:

Antelope surveys show stable populations in most areas​

HELENA – Last week, hunters were notified if they successfully drew an antelope license for the upcoming season. The number of licenses drawn in each hunting district were based on recommendations Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ biologists made after they completed aerial surveys of antelope herds during the last few weeks.
Surveys showed that antelope populations are stable in most regions, with some increases in particular hunting districts. FWP determines the number of licenses issued for each antelope hunting district depending on the summer surveys. The number of licenses can be adjusted within a range approved by the Fish and Wildlife Commission for each hunting district.
“FWP performs antelope surveys in July, provides quota adjustments by the end of that month, and conducts the draw within two weeks,” said Brian Wakeling, FWP game management chief. “This exemplifies how FWP responds to survey data in real time.”
Here is a rundown of what biologists observed during their surveys and how these observations affected antelope quotas.
Region 3
What we saw:
Generally, antelope populations are stable. In hunting districts 340, 350 and 370, we observed modest increases.
What we did: We increased opportunities for doe/fawn license holders in HDs 340, 350 and 370.
Why we did it: The modest increases in antelope populations in these specific districts suggest that the population can sustain additional hunting pressure without negatively impacting overall stability.
The result we are expecting: We expect these changes will maintain hunting opportunities while ensuring the continued stability of antelope populations across the region. In other parts of the region, observed small decreases do not warrant changes to quotas, further supporting population stability.

Region 4

What we saw:
Generally, antelope numbers are stable to slightly increasing across much of Region 4. Biologists aerially surveyed trend areas or complete coverage in all of our HDs (HD 455 is surveyed incidental to other species). Surveys revealed relatively good fawn numbers in most hunting districts observing between 28 and 83 fawns per 100 does, with an average of 57 per 100. Buck-to-doe ratios were also good in most hunting districts ranging between 16 and 53 bucks per 100 does, with an average of 35 per 100.
What we did:
  • 420-20 increased from 25 to 75, 420-30 increased from 5 to 25
  • 430-20 increased from 125 to 175
  • 440-20 increased from 100 to 125, 440-30 increased from 75 to 100
  • 441-20 increased from 10 to 20
  • 450-20 increased from 50 to 75, 450-30 increased from 50 to 75
  • 480-20 increased from 50 to 100
  • 481-20 increased from 50 to 100
  • 490-20 increased from 75 to 125, 490-30 increase from 125 to 150
Why we did it: Antelope in most HDs are stable to increasing following a milder winter this last year. Continued drought conditions and past tough winters continue to plague population growth in eastern Region 4. Higher fawn numbers this year is encouraging for population recovery. In recent years, either-sex and doe/fawn licenses have been reduced in response to lower counts. With population growth and stability, increasing either-sex licenses will provide more hunting opportunity and contribute minimally to population management in those HDs.
The result we are expecting: The license increases will provide additional opportunity for hunter harvest and may contribute to maintaining populations within the objective ranges

Region 5

What we saw: Generally, antelope numbers are stable to slightly increasing across Region 5. Biologists observed relatively good fawn numbers with most hunting districts having between 40 and 70 fawns per 100 does. Buck to doe ratios were close to average in most of the hunting districts with biologists reporting counts ranging between 29 and 65 bucks per 100 does. 
What we did:
HD 576: 
  • reduced either-sex licenses from 1,400 to 1,100 (bottom of the range)
  • reduced doe/fawn licenses from 100 to 50.  
HD 586:
  • Increased doe/fawn licenses from 50 to 200.
Why we did it: 
Antelope HD 576 has been below objective for several years. The area biologist reported 31 bucks per 100 does and 54 fawns per 100 does from the 2024 surveys. Historically, this district has averaged 35 bucks per 100 does and 46 fawns per 100 does. The higher fawn count this year is encouraging for population recovery. In recent years, either-sex licenses have been reduced in response to lower counts. 
Antelope HD 586 is currently within objective with high numbers of does and fawns observed. The area biologist reported 59 fawns per 100 does from the 2024 flights. Historically, this district has averaged 56 fawns per 100 does. The buck-to-doe ratio for the district is estimated at 29.5 bucks per 100 does, which is short of the average 35 bucks per 100 does. Considering the higher doe and fawn counts, we increased the number of doe/fawn licenses to provide more hunting opportunity and contribute minimally to population management.
The result we are expecting: 
Antelope HD 576: Though harvest is not the driving factor in this district falling below objective, reducing harvest pressure is a prudent approach to provide some assistance to the slowly recovering population with hopes of reaching objective in years to come. Drought and severe winter weather conditions along with epizootic hemorrhagic disease/blue-tongue are the factors that impact antelope populations the most.
Antelope HD 586: The increase in doe/fawn licenses will provide some additional opportunity for hunter harvest and may contribute to maintaining a stable population within the objective range.

Region 6

What we saw: Across Region 6, total antelope numbers on aerial summer surveys were near average, as were fawn and buck ratios. Biologists observed an increase in the antelope population in HD 630 and a decrease in HD 650.
What we did: We increased the 630-20 either-sex antelope licenses from 200 to 300, and reduced 650-20 either-sex licenses from 700 to 500, and the 650-30 doe/fawn quota from 250 to 150.
Why we did it: The increase to the 630-20 license will increase adult antelope harvest opportunities in HD 630 where population surveys indicate an above-average antelope population. Although the HD 650 survey yielded 35 percent fewer antelope than last year, the population remains within objective, and the reduction in antelope license levels will help stabilize the population.
The result we are expecting: We expect to increase antelope harvest opportunity in HD 630 together with above-average densities of antelope observed in that district. Based on an average hunter harvest success rate of 50 percent, we expect to harvest an additional 50 antelope with the adjustment. Conversely, reducing the HD 650 license levels by a total of 300 will reduce antelope harvest by approximately 150 antelope.

Region 7

What we saw:
Region 7 observed similar total numbers to the 2023 surveys, but there was an increase in fawn ratios from 56 fawns per 100 does in 2023, to 73 fawns per 100 does in 2024. Additionally, there was an observed increase in buck ratios from 41 bucks per 100 does in 2023, to 48 bucks per 100 does in 2024.
What we did: Based on the observations and the new license structure amended and adopted by the Fish and Wildlife Commission during the Dec. 14, 2023, season-setting meeting, we increased the 007-20 either-sex license from 4,250 to 5,000 and decreased the 007-21 either-sex license from 3,000 to 2,500. We also increased the 007-30 doe/fawn license from 80 to 750 and decreased the additional opportunity 705-30 doe/fawn license from 1,500 to 750.
Why we did it: With the new license structure, we adjusted the quotas within the approved quota ranges to provide opportunity throughout the region where available based on the population metrics.
The result we are expecting: Based on harvest successes observed in hunting districts through the previous license structure and aerial survey data, we expect that there will be ample opportunity for buck harvest throughout the region at a level that will still provide enough buffer to maintain the biological integrity of the population. Doe/fawn licenses were adjusted to provide harvest opportunity in portions of the region where numbers and productivity rates are higher, and this will allow hunter opportunity and help landowners with potential game-damage situations. Anticipated harvest will be moderate and maintaining low doe/fawn licenses in the northern portion like previous years, we are hopeful to continue to support the potential for population growth.
To watch a video of an antelope survey, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VrU8y94icI.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom