DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Getting some camping gear ready. I realize how good a decision it was to buy a pair of 2000 watt generators that weigh 50 lb each. The 100 lb 4k Champion I have is too heavy now . I've lost some strength. I could always lift it to the tailgate of my 97 F-250. There is no way I would try that now at 65 with the taller F-350 I have now. I would be disabled lol. But is a bummer. Maybe after some work in the gym buy I won't be trying.

It's not always fun getting old but it beats the alternative. The doctor said I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.
It sure does beat the alternative. I can always use the bigger generator for other things or when I have help to lift it. I've had back problems much of my life so I'm not looking to make it worse. Some days when it starts to act up I take 800 mg and I'm back in the game.
We press forward Eel ! I may have some good fish pictures to show next week.

Getting some camping gear ready. I realize how good a decision it was to buy a pair of 2000 watt generators that weigh 50 lb each. The 100 lb 4k Champion I have is too heavy now . I've lost some strength. I could always lift it to the tailgate of my 97 F-250. There is no way I would try that now at 65 with the taller F-350 I have now. I would be disabled lol. But is a bummer. Maybe after some work in the gym buy I won't be trying.
Haha. Know how you feel and I am only 61. Been thinking about rigging up a boom setup on my equipment trailer to pick up and load heavy items. Have a plate compactor I use to pick up and put in back of truck. Now it’s a hassle just dragging it. And to make it worse I purchased a new truck. The tailgate is way higher than my ‘02 was. 🤣🤣

Yup, every day I worry about hurting my back. Worst this year was changing a flat on the 350 in the ditch on a dirt road. A Subaru was looking pretty damn good.

Then there were the 16 solar batteries at 115# each that I had to swap.

I’m afraid I’m going to have to make some uncomfortable lifestyle choices pretty quick.:( SS and medicare will soften the blow I guess? Jeezus……

That is literally a ton of batteries. I'm already making some choices. For now though my 350 has new tires and a complete maintenance on every little thing needed. Those bags of chicken feed need to be lighter. I'm glad I have an easy govt job. Just requires lots of training and being responsible for many systems bit it isn't physical. I had all those physical jobs when I was in my 20s and early 30s. That's when I messed up my back. With a Cervical RF Ablation C6 and C7 , and a nerve block on my ribs 2 weeks apart in August maybe I will be reminded to be careful.
Yup, every day I worry about hurting my back. Worst this year was changing a flat on the 350 in the ditch on a dirt road. A Subaru was looking pretty damn good.

Then there were the 16 solar batteries at 115# each that I had to swap.

I’m afraid I’m going to have to make some uncomfortable lifestyle choices pretty quick.:( SS and medicare will soften the blow I guess? Jeezus…

So how much of a change has there been since you guys were 53?
I go to 53 in a month.
I'm in the same boat as you. I turned 53 back in February. I still feel pretty healthy and strong. I workout 4-5 days a week to try to stay ahead of the inevitable. Lol. I'd imagine there's a big change after 60....guess I didn't answer your question though. I'm not qualified to answer yet!🤣🤣

Last edited:
So how much of a change has there been since you guys were 53?
I go to 53 in a month.
At 53 I tough or my mind told me I could still do everything I had been do and I did. At almost 64 my mind and body tells me over and over that I'm getting old and it is going to hurt!!! 😉

FB_IMG_1715441727278.jpg

53 was 22 years ago so I can't remember. :)

If you remain healthy it's a very gradual change, almost imperceptible. If you're lucky enough to not have any physical break downs (knees, back. hips, etc.) like I was, you just face it as the occasion arises. The good news for me is that my mind ages at about the same rate as my body so I see things differently than when I was younger. Once in a while my mind writes checks that my body can't cash, but not too often. Pretty soon a lot of what you did back in the day become just pleasant memories. I guess it's called growing old gracefully.

One thing I've noticed the past few years is that my balance is not as good so be careful of that.

Part of the deal the way I look at it, I've worked physical jobs my whole career knee went to hell in my 40's, first hip when I hit 50, second hip 60 then prostate cancer at 64, and add a few other issues in between. The way I look at it no matter how good of shape you're in the age deal is going to get you and the check engine light is more likely to come on. Hell you got out to do a few simple projects and all of a sudden your bleeding like a gut shot buck and the next day you are one solid bruise

At 53-54, starting 4 months before hunting season, I was running 8 miles a day, 7 days a week and I would walk/hike 7 miles a day, 5 days a week. I would walk/hike at 5;30 in the morning before work, then run in the evening when I got home. I was able to do that for about 3 years. I then changed from running to biking 18 miles in the morning, then walk/hike in the afternoon. After my second back surgery at 59, I would only do walk/hikes. I would do 7 miles in the morning and 7 miles in the evening. That lasted up until I was about 63. Things really started to go downhill when my back was getting bad again. I had to have back surgery again last year which resulted in returning a Utah Early Rile Elk tag back in after 27 years of applying. Prior to my surgery, my legs had gotten so weak from nerve issues, thus surgery number 3. My legs were still to weak to do an Elk hunt. Prostate cancer at 65 created it's own issues while trying to exercise (Like not being able to control your pissing for at least 4-6 months). I have been in physical therapy to try and build up some leg strength and it seems to be working. At 68, it has been getting harder & harder. I will need back surgery #4 at the end of the year, which will hopefully address a chronic issue in my right leg. One of my problems over the years is having been in the construction industry since I was 27 years old. I always enjoyed doing the physical work, but it has taken it's toll on me. Only thing to do is keep on truck'n!....and hunting!!!!

Founder, for me it seemed like between 60 and 62 I really felt my body begin showing my age. I can still do most of what I used to but I am slower and don't recover near as quick. Muscle loss and joint problems are the biggest thing. I never was much on hiking steep terrain carrying a heavy pack. I always let my horses do that. Now I have to accept that some hunts are just not feasible for someone 65 years old living in flat land and having bum ankle and knee. I can still fish for hours on end though!!!

I just hit 54 and I’ve really noticed the past year or two that I’m just no longer as strong or as agile. Thing is, my whole life I’ve always been “the little engine that could” and I think it’s finally catching up to me.

I just hit 54 and I’ve really noticed the past year or two that I’m just no longer as strong or as agile. Thing is, my whole life I’ve always been “the little engine that could” and I think it’s finally catching up to me.
I hear ya on that. Spent 30+ years playing human forklift. Now, at 53, I'm a little wiser when I need to lift stuff. About the only real issue I have is occasional knee or shoulder pain. I think the key is to stay active and know your limitations. Getting old and weaker is inevitable to us all....this kind of made me think of one of my hunting buddies. He always says, "I used to not back down from a fight. Now I'm too old. I'll just shoot ya!"🤣🤣

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom