9/11..one day in America

littlebull209338

You will want to watch this 4-part program on National Geographic. I just watched the first two parts. It will really snap into focus the events of the last few days...indeed the last few months.

The second part is the stories of those that were there: A woman trapped on the 78th floor and survived; a battalion fire chief; the lone survivor of a fire company; a good samaritan who was helping a burned woman and unbeknownst to him his sister was on the second plane that hit the tower right above him; and other. so yes we know who did it but this but the story which began the last twenty years is so dreadfully painful that I felt like I should invite all to view it. We were a different people then.

I get a bit misty eyed with each anniversary.

My personal connection to 9/11:

I was sitting there drinking my morning coffee and watching one of the cable channels when they broke in with the news of the first plane crashing into the WTC. I immediately called a long-time friend in Teaneck, NJ because I knew his daughter worked at the WTC.

Tom (now deceased) and I stayed on the phone for hours as we watched our TVs and saw the 2nd plane hit and the buildings collapse in real time. At that point, he became emotional and hung up so he could try to contact his daughter.

I continued watching the TV all day and saw the Pentagon devastated and the results of flight 93. It was a sad day for America, but I didn't realize just how sad it would be for me personally.

Tom's daughter never answered her cell phone and never came home. In the days that followed, I found out I had personal connections to other victims, as well.

I was born in NJ and spent all of my teen years living within a stone's throw of the George Washington Bridge. In 1959, I was a member of the first graduating class at Bergen Catholic, an all boys Irish Christian Brothers high school in Oradell. Eight alumni from that school perished at the WTC that infamous day. Two of them were sons of my clasmates who I played football with and counted among my good freinds.

This memorial, located on the grounds of Bergen Catholic High School, features three concrete benches that surround an octagonal planter. It is inscribed with the 8 names of the alumni killed on 9/11. The names of the alumni are Martin Wohlforth '72, Steven Schlag '78, Domenick Mircovich '79, John Bocchi '81, James O'Grady '87, Marc Murolo '91, Christopher Vialonga '89 and Robert Zampieri '89.

10033memorial.jpg

81905opmjq8zy6cylea646oxam00040.jpg

The son of my college roommate at the University of Dayton was a career military man working at the Pentagon that day. He was badly burned but survived.

I was on business just outside of Sheriden WY on 9/11. An employee called me and gave me a report as he watched it. The next day I had to make a trip from Denver to Trinidad...I drove the full speed limit all the way...there was no traffic. Thanks for sharing the Clydsdales. They are sure beautiful. It seems nobody bows in respect to anything anymore.

I’ll never forget that day, I was archery elk hunting with an eerie silence that I’ll never hear again… I’ll never forget the voicemail from my wife…

I was on my way into work and heard it on the radio. TV's hooked up in a conference room playing news feeds all day...

Left For Work Before The NEWS Broke out as what was Happening!

Wife Calls Me & Says the NEWS Was Showing a Jet that just hit one of the twin Towers!

I Kick the Radio On in the Truck As We are Working & Listen for Updates!

A Couple Hours Later it Turns in to the Quietest Day I've Ever Heard!

No Planes Flying!

No Copters Buzzing around!

No Birds Chirping!

How Quick Some Forget!

I Haven't Forgot!

The Quietest Day I've Ever Heard!

We didn't fly for about 3 days. Some of us were stranded at a base in Maryland. When USN did start flying again, I caught a ride back to CA with a KC 130 alongside 13,000 or so gallons of fuel taking up the middle of the airplane.

I’ll never forget that day, I was archery elk hunting with an eerie silence that I’ll never hear again… I’ll never forget the voicemail from my wife…
We left a few days after 9/11 for a friend's elk hunt on San Juan. The flags flying all over the state were something else. Several days into the hunt when the first jet flew over, we all pulled up our binoculars to see who had started flying again. The sky seemed so empty for those few days.

I was on a Muzzleloader Elk hunt in Colorado that morning. And I too noticed a strange kind of quiet in the woods. Plus I noticed that there wasn’t any planes flying that morning. Later that morning we went by the outfitters cabin and some guys come running out and told us what happened. And to come in and check it out on the TV. The Hunt didn’t matter much after that. ?

Last edited:
We had both company planes in the air that morning when the call came down to land immediately at the closest airport or be shot down.

One spent the next several days parked on the strip in Shiprock, NM (Guarded). The other one lived in Roswell for a few days.

I was listening on the radio and remember it like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
In a strange twist of fate, I had a connection with the twin towers. One of our sister companies had done the steel erection on the original towers.

We were called back in to help with the demolition. I made a couple trips to the site while it was being cleaned up.

We then did several of the reconstruction projects, including the “bathtub” excavation (blasting in downtown Manhattan!), the temporary and final subway lines, and the silly and difficult Calatrava “Oculus”. I’m sure there are other components I forgot.

A twisty and turney memory lane for this bumpkin. :)

Follow-up on the BC memorial:

Bergen Catholic alumni not only perished on 9/11, but many are living witnesses to history

By Ann Piccirillo, Patch Staff
Sep 28, 2011 2:54 am

This is a story that has been percolating for well over a month, and the more it's shared, the more people add to it.

In the course of meeting with people and conducting interviews for Patch's 10th Anniversary 9/11 profiles, there emerged a Bergen Catholic connection. Almost every conversation included the phrase, "I/he went to Bergen Catholic and was at the World Trade Center."

Those Bergen Catholic graduates whose stories I had the privilege to tell were:

* General Manager of the George Washington Bridge on 9/11.
*Supervisor of Technology Projects in the Tunnels, Bridges and Terminals Department for the Port Authority who was in Tower 1.
*and his best friend Chris Vialonga, who worked side-by-side on the 92nd floor of the North Tower.

There is a memorial erected on the campus of Bergen Catholic honoring the eight alumni who perished in the World Trade Center, but how many are aware of the alumni who witnessed the terror attacks in New York City and the Pentagon? Alumni who held positions of authority within the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and/or were employed by the military, the City of New York or the federal government.

In many cases, these alumni stories did not get written because they were unable to obtain official clearance or, because 10 years later, it was still too painful to recount the events of that day. These alumni include a Secret Service officer, an F.B.I. Special Agent, a retired New York City firefighter whose company was called to the World Trade Center, a computer security analyst and a Naval officer who had been stationed at the Pentagon.

Each alumni I spoke with mentioned Bergen Catholic's 9/11 memorial, and with the exception of one person, not one of them had yet seen it. So shortly before the anniversary of 9/11, I decided to make the pilgrimage to Bergen Catholic for them and view the memorial honoring the eight alumni who worked at the World Trade Center and never made it out.

It just so happened that on the day I visited the memorial it was undergoing a major renovation in preparation for a 10th anniversary memorial service for the family and friends of those eight men.

I had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Maron, who was leading the efforts of the renovation. It was his older brother Michael T. Maron, a sophomore on 9/11 who, when he realized how many BC alumni perished at the World Trade Center, decided to undertake the project of establishing a memorial on the campus grounds as a way of honoring these men and fulfilling an Eagle Scout service project.

After getting the appropriate approvals, he placed a fundraising letter in the alumni magazine and raised $18,000, well in excess of his $5000 goal. The original monument is octagon-shaped to represent the eight alumni who perished.

Ten years later, the youngest of four Maron boys, Patrick, decided to renovate the original site for his Eagle Scout service project by adding permanent lighting, a waterfall and a new granite monument that contains a piece of the World Trade Center. (The granite monument has been placed on top of the original monument.) Given the scope of his proposed enhancements, there was a concern that Patrick was biting off more than he could chew.

However, like his brothers, Patrick has worked for a local landscaping company and had assisted in building a few water features. He also led the group of volunteers aged 13-15 who came everyday to get the project done in time for the ceremony that was held just this past Sunday.

By enhancing the memorial, Patrick is connecting his vision to his brother's, ensuring that the Bergen Catholic connection to 9/11 lives on, as does the memory of these eight alumni.

1630419212328.png

1630419270975.png

The making of the Bud commercial, written a couple years ago...

ST. LOUIS -- As the 16th anniversary of the September 11th terror attacks approaches, FOX 2 is looking back at some of the most powerful tributes to the victims over the years.

One of those tributes was an emotional ad featuring the Budweiser Clydesdales. In the ad, the horses honor the memory of the fallen with an unforgettable, breathtaking bow.

The commercial only aired one time during Super Bowl XXXVI on February 3, 2002, but many people have never forgotten it.

Anheuser-Busch's creative team came up with the concept and moved heaven and earth to make the commercial. They had to get approval from members of Congress, the advertising community and from New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani.

"We filmed in New York City," said Bob Lachky, former executive vice president of Anheuser-Busch Global Creative. "We had a helicopter going over the Brooklyn Bridge. Mayor Giuliani let us into the city -- the only film company of any sort right after 9-11. To actually come into air space with our helicopter to film the Clydesdale... the hitch coming into Battery Park and it was amazing...just amazing."

It was amazing, especially considering how New York was a city still hurting. And yet a St. Louis-based company, touched by the pain of the worst act of terrorism on U.S. soil, took a risk to help one of our favorite cities and our nation heal.

The company's logo is absent throughout the entire video until the very end.

Budweiser did air an updated version of the commercial on September 11, 2011, the tenth anniversary of the attacks -- however the original commercial (below) has only aired one time.

This was the original. Note the snow, which is absent in the 2011 version I posted earlier. It took a trainer 45 days to train the horses to 'bow.'

Honestly symbolism has been just another tool to enable us to sit on our a55es and kick this can down the road for our kids to have to live in fear of. I could give a damn about remembering where I was on 9/11. I couldn't give a damn about horseys making neto commercials to sell beer off of 3500 dead Americans.

Islam has been attacking the civilized world for the past 5 decades. Our parents didn't stop them. My generation didn't grow a pair and stop them. Now we are teaching our kids to do nothing but sit around and "remember" when something bad happened and pass the cancer onto our grandkids.

Its like the Dr diagnoses you with colon cancer and you go in for your first day of treatment and the Dr just says "Hey let's remember the day I told you that you had cancer." Well you won't be going down memory lane to long.

Tristate watch the National Geographic 2cnd hour. It may make you a little less bitter. I agree with some of your sentiments but what can any of us do to rectify the past but VOTE and be proactive about our future and be a good, kind citizen.. In my case I am supporting in several ways an effort to unseat some of our city council...by their actions you would swear you were in California. Twenty years of folly by our government and many of our military LEADERS...how sad. Our soldiers did the best they could and we should honor them in everyday.

Honestly symbolism has been just another tool to enable us to sit on our a55es and kick this can down the road for our kids to have to live in fear of. I could give a damn about remembering where I was on 9/11. I couldn't give a damn about horseys making neto commercials to sell beer off of 3500 dead Americans.

Islam has been attacking the civilized world for the past 5 decades. Our parents didn't stop them. My generation didn't grow a pair and stop them. Now we are teaching our kids to do nothing but sit around and "remember" when something bad happened and pass the cancer onto our grandkids.

Its like the Dr diagnoses you with colon cancer and you go in for your first day of treatment and the Dr just says "Hey let's remember the day I told you that you had cancer." Well you won't be going down memory lane to long.
Do the nurses know you're using the computer?? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I do remember the day 4 years ago when the doc told me I had colon cancer. I was lying on a bed in ER right after having a CAT scan.

Last edited:
Do the nurses know you're using the computer?? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I do remember the day 4 years ago when the doc told me I had colon cancer. I was lying on a bed in ER right after having a CAT scan.
Good to know you have an excuse. Just pull that card anytime you want boy, because it isn't going to mean diddly to the people who want your family dead.

Tristate watch the National Geographic 2cnd hour. It may make you a little less bitter. I agree with some of your sentiments but what can any of us do to rectify the past but VOTE and be proactive about our future and be a good, kind citizen.. In my case I am supporting in several ways an effort to unseat some of our city council...by their actions you would swear you were in California. Twenty years of folly by our government and many of our military LEADERS...how sad. Our soldiers did the best they could and we should honor them in everyday.
I think you missed the point. I'm not bitter about it, I actually want to do things to ensure my kids and grandkids don't have to inherit our problems. Wanting to actually make a difference instead of sitting around thinking about the "good ol' days of 9/11", isn't bitterness.

I will always remember!!! The sight of the 2nd plane flying into the building and that feeling!!!

Yes a day later I was sitting on top of a Wyoming Mtn and it was so quite and not a plane in the sky.

Such a tragic day for our nation. I wonder if many of our younger generations with their woke/ cancel selfish my feelings are more important than your feelings culture even grasp the significance of the day.
My wife enlisted on 9/12. Spent 16 months in the sand trying to bring justice for our country. You can imagine her opinion of ole sleepy joe right now.

We still need to remember.

Martin P. Wohlforth '72
Steven F. Schlag '78
Domenick N. Mircovich '79
John P. Bocchi '81
James "Andy" O'Grady '87
Christopher J. Vialonga '89
Robert A. Zampieri '89
Marc A. Murolo '91
Joseph J. Berry, father of Joseph S. Berry '92​

Bergen Catholic Remembers Video

P.S - When it loads, just click on the image. It's fairly long tribute to each one of them. Atheists probably do not want to watch.

Last edited:
Can't believe it's been 20 yrs since those cowards had the balls to kill innocent people. I was a young Airman at the time and woke to my radio alarm. Hearing a plane had hit the one tower I turned my radio back on and listened to the report. Don't think I showered or shaved just threw the uniform on and went to work. Think we had a line at the gate that stretched for 3 miles. Watched in horror in our break room as a second plane hit the other tower. Think I deployed the next day or day after with the 34th bomb sqaudron ( B1s) from Mtn Home AFB. Will always remeber those that made the ultimate sacriface for our nation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom