76 Early Rifle Elk

Spikeslayer44

Well the stars aligned and I pulled a hybrid tag for 76 Early rifle. Anyone else get lucky or going to be hunting up there? I have decent knowledge on the unit but would be down to trade.

I drew the 1st rifle season tag. Would love to hear how your hunt goes. I'll be out there scouting the last week of Sept, would be happy to share what I learn during scouting.

Wow congrats, that is my dream tag. I personally would take that tag over the NW corner units, not for trophy potential but just the overall quality of the hunt.
Man, I’m not sure where the NW corner is lacking on over all “quality” of the hunt. 76 has the scenery but 76 isn’t even in the same class as 2,10, or 201 when it comes to overall experience of hunting 300 plus inch bulls in the rut.

^^^ I agree. A close friend of mine hunted both in his lifetime. He said that nothing compared to the NW corner that he had ever seen in 50 years of elk hunting. He killed a small bull in 76 on his 17th day of hunting with his bow.

There’s still some big bulls in 76, it is weather dependent during the rifle seasons with snow pushing them down depending on accumulation in the high country. Archery/Muzzleloader hunt high high country above timberline sometimes. Hit the Utes early and if snow accumulates during rifle season hunts hit Texas creek east of Road Canyon Reservoir- Trail head starts behind forest service cabins. Ivy creek too. Sammy Frazier the outfitter that guided in there for years and now retired has a wealth of knowledge in that unit and is a really good dude.

76 was an absolute blast 10 to 15 years ago. The last two hunts as of recently I’ve helped in there have been rather disappointing as far as quality of bulls around
Agreed, it’s a fun hunt. To see a lot of elk in badass country. Not sure it’s worth the points it takes at this point though.

Agreed, it’s a fun hunt. To see a lot of elk in badass country. Not sure it’s worth the points it takes at this point though.
Not even close to worth the points… but that’s the story with majority of units in Colorado. As someone who’s been on hunts in every “trophy” unit in Colorado the NW corner (2,10, 201) is truly magical and will rival anything in the country as far as top quality elk hunting. After that your in for 15 plus years of waiting to shoot a 275 to 300 inch bull with an outside of chance of something better as far as someone who has limited to knowledge of a of unit.

I’ve gained a little bit of experience in 76 the last three years. It’s a great hunt as long as you know the chances of a bull that’s north of 300” is going to be tough to impossible. been in most of the better Colorado units and with the exception of seeing elk in NW corner. And that seems to be the case for most units. I will say 76 is an awesome place to be though and big bulls do get killed there but they are not behind ever rock. I’d spend more time learning the roads and which side of the unit you wanna focus on.

It's a fun hunt for what it is. If your a 350 or bust kind of guy its not the unit for you. But if you like seeing lots of elk and some killer scenery then it will be a blast.

Was up near trout lake yesterday with a friend scouting for moose. Lots and lots of rain. Mountains are very wet. Kinda chilly starting to feel like fall up there.

I’ve gained a little bit of experience in 76 the last three years. It’s a great hunt as long as you know the chances of a bull that’s north of 300” is going to be tough to impossible. been in most of the better Colorado units and with the exception of seeing elk in NW corner. And that seems to be the case for most units. I will say 76 is an awesome place to be though and big bulls do get killed there but they are not behind ever rock. I’d spend more time learning the roads and which side of the unit you wanna focus on.
I drew an archery elk tag with 19 pts in 76. I have no plans to hold out for a giant. I would sure be interested in talking to you about the roads. We will be bringing some pack llamas so I really do not want to get myself in a bad situation with a small stock trailer.
If you are inclined to discuss this, please drop me an email [email protected], I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom