4 wheeler Advice

arroyobuck

I'm looking for some advice and opinions on what to look for in selecting a used (2nd hand) 4 wheeler for hunting. I am on a poor man's budget and would like to cap my purchase at $2500. Can I get anything decent for that amount? Where should I look besides craigslist? What brands and size should I look for? Are there any other considerations I should know about?

I have hunted for 35 years without one, but am seriously considering one now. It would be used to get further back in the woods where I would then park and walk. Also I would use it to pack meat out. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd look for one with a Titanium Cylinder & a Cast iron Piston!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

With laws the way they are I wouldn't buy one....

If your going to, I wouldn't get anything under 400cc and 4x4 is a must. www.ksl.com classifieds has lots of wheelers.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

4 wheelers are getting more exspencive every year $2500 is about the low end for a good used ATV Honda is about as good as they get I would look for a Honda Foreman or a Honda Rancher 4x4. I guess they are all pretty good but the Hondas me and my boys have owned have been bullet prof!

There are a lot of opinions out there. I have owned a rental fleet of ATV's (25+) for the last 5 years. I rotate my fleet every couple of years. So I would like to think I have a decent handle on some info.

First I would look into getting a TW200 dirt bike instead of an ATV for access purposes. You can get into a lot more trails and back further than you can on a ATV. I personally use a dirt bike over an ATV for access then hike. Dirt bikes can take you down single track and are faster as well.

If you look at an ATV I think the brands I would recommend are Can Am, Yamaha and Honda.

I personally prefer the Can Ams. I have ran Can Am 400's and 500's and the rotax motor is bullet proof if you take care of your air filter and oil changes. I have had multiple with 8500 miles and know they will go to 12000 plus if you keep your oil/air clean. Plus they have a great resale value. I have 2008's with 8500 miles that I am selling at $3000.

I have also run a number of yamaha grizzly 350's and again they are a good solid ride and motor. I think the can ams have a few better features and technology. But you can't go wrong with the yami reliability either. I do disagree with justr on the needing a 400+ cc. The 350's I have ran are plenty powerful enough. Typically if the machine is geared right for the power output it will climb anything the bigger ones will. It just won't beat them in a race or in the mud bogs. 4x4 is a good idea for hunting if you anticipate riding in muddy/snowy conditions.

I have never ran Hondas, but their reputation is well known.

Best place to find a good used one is ksl.com Although it seems right now nearly everybody is asking too much for their rides. Many are asking $1000 over high book. If you are patient though you can usually find a good deal.

Good luck and try to find one that has been maintained well. Routine oil changes and air filter cleanings is more important than anything else.

a 300 cc is plenty unless you are going to be doing radical sheet !if you get a two wheel drive i would definitly get a winch. 4 wheel drive is a must for snow. i am a fat azz and drive a 325 and a 350 and go everywhere i want. i spent 3,200 for the 350 and 1,800 for the 325 i like the 325 ( polaris 4x4 ) the other one is a yamaha grizzly. nice too. right now is a great time to buy, a lot of folks paying taxes and need $$$$

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom