30-06 standard , ackley and gibbs

ce61

back in feb. of 2006 rick jamison took a factory 30-06 winchester model 70 classic stainless and made up some loads in 150, 165, 180, 200 grain bullets. case capacity was 70.1 grains of water for the std. 06. 73.0 grains for the ackley and 76.3 for the gibbs. with all the bullets and loads the ackley gained on average 66 fps and the gibbs gained 104 fps. all testing was done with the same 22" factory barrel. first standard chamber then cut to the ackley and later cut to the gibbs. your results may vary. most guys that go to the ackley or gibbs also go with a longer barrel to burn up that extra powder and pick up some extra speed. ce61

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-09 AT 01:35AM (MST)[p]ce61, When i put my Ackley together, after reading several references, including PO's, on the individual Ackley cartridges, i came up with the 280 as being one of the best candidates for the Improved version. My understanding at the time was that the 30-06 was not one of the better cartridges for the imp work to be done vs the advantages gained.

In any event, i had this otherwise perfectly good gun that not only had strong family ties, been passed to me by my Grandfather, but i had damaged the barrel on a Nevada Muley trip, snow blockage, to the point of it needing replacement. My Grandfathers 1969 mod 700 25-06 and his 1925 Winchester Model 54 270 before that, along with many hrs of gun-hunting-shooting talk both on the many hunting and fishing trips we took together but also in the comfort of their, my grandparents, cozy home, impressed upon me that being the hurt 25-06 needed a new barrel, Grampa would have favored me in getting "something different" just as he had when he bought the only two bolt guns that he ever owned. Being i had a trip to Alaska planned and do not care for the bigger Mags, i went with as big a caliber and cartridge as i felt comfortable with, I chose to re-barrel in the .280 Ackley Imp. It does have a 25" #3 MG barrel

My neighbor and friend, i refer to him as the shootist, has much competitive shooting history, some very fine guns, and near the best in reloading and shooting equipment. We used his chronograph on his bench at his range to establish a average velocity of 3280 FPS with 140 gr Combined Tech pills. Not sure what a guy can get from a regular 280 Remington but i believe he'd start blowing primers before he got those kinda numbers that we did. Add to this, the fact that not everybody has one and even if it's not the world beater, it's not, i could not care in the least because it's enough gun, it's mine, and it's what i wanted. I believe Grandpa would have, if still alive, wholeheartedly approved of my selection in this cartridge.

To each his own and variety is the spice of life!
Joey

your correct sage, the 280 is one that AIing really helps. a few more are the 223,22-250, 250 savage, 257 bob,and 7x57.

the gibbs version is even better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom