HuntinFool

I heard that if you sighted a .270 Win in st three hundred yards you would be able to hit a 9in plate from 50-450 yards. I was wondering if any body knew if this was true or not. And would there be enough knock down power out to 450 yards?

I dial my .270 Win in at 200 yards, and I can hit a 9" pie plate all day long at 450, just hold about 2 feet over the top of it.

I assume what you are talking about is if you aim at the center of a 9" pie plate you'll be able to hit the pie plate any where from 50 to 450 yards out when sited in at 300 yards. If this is the case I'm calling BS. My reloading book shows that a 140 Hornady BTSP traveling at 3400 fps (400 fps faster then any reload I have been able to work up) would be 8.5" low at 400 yards and 22" low at 500. Now if you were sited in at 350 you may be able to pull it off.

3400 fps 140 BTSP .486 BC
100 yards 2.8" high
200 yards 3.5" high
300 yards 0.0"
400 yards 8.3" low
500 yards 22.0" low
400bull

I'm not sure that I understand your Q. But, I've seen some gun writers talk about using a gun's "point blank" range in such a manner....If what you are say, that if you zero your gun for 300 yards that it will be w/in 4.5" of the line of sight out to 450 yards,,,,it sounds feasible....maybe.

A .270 will drop a foot between 300 and 400 yards, WHEN ZEROED FOR 200 yds. Pushing the aero back 100 yards really changes things. The dif between a 50-75 yard zero and a 200 yard zero is less than 3" at 100 yards (and probably less than .5 inches at 50 yards). But, at 300 yds, the dif is probably 2 feet.

Now, here is the deal, ALLLLLLL guns should be zeroed for no further than 250 yards. If you zero your 270 for 200 yards, like it should be....it will be w/in 3 in of the line of sight out to 200 and then also out to 250. At 300 it will be 7-9" low, at 400 about 20-24" low. If you have a rangefinder the hold over is easy to figure.

If you have a BDC scope, easier still.

I have a firned that is into sniper scopes, he uses such and such a dot (below the cross hairs) at a certain range and has it taped to his stock. I've seen him shoot his 7mag out to about 700, and and not miss a baseball sized circle on his silouette. Personally, I estimate the hold over by comparing it to the 18" tall deer that I'm shooting at and w/a .270 you hold on hair out to past 300 yards...at 400, you aim about 1/2 an animals height to a full animals height above him. Being as it is that far away, you don't take the shot w/o being able to lock into position. If it has to be rushed, then it ain't going to happen...w/Me at the scope.

So, it MAY be true, but do your self a favor, don't zero your gun that way. The reason nobody knows, is that method went out w/the Flintstones....optics are much better than they used to be.

If you look at anyone of the big 3 ammo makers websites, they will have a short-range (50 or 100 yds) and a long range zero (usually about 200 yds) there is a reason for that.

John 14:6

Hornady 130gr SST factory load

100 yards +4.375
200 yards +6.00
300 yards +2.83
350 yards -0.75
400 yards -5.80

My wife killed a mule deer last season at 453 yards with this very cartridge. Held just over his back and put the pill in the boiler room. My farthest shot was 397 yards on a pronghorn.

I am assuming that you are considering that for shooting big game? that way you can hit a deer from 50-450yds. well i personally dont like that setup so i listed a couple options i prefer.

I shoot a 30-06 and my father shoots a .270. i hand load ammo for both of them and this is what i personally do. I zero my gun at 200yds. or 1 1/2in.s high at 100yds. I have a Leupold VXII 6x18-40 with the target knobs. I also have a program on my computer where i enter in my ballistic info and it pukes out bullet drop, wind drift, energy, and velocity at any range i want as well as the 1/4in. clicks to compensate. so what i do is print out a small chart in 50yd. increments with a 10mph wind at 90 degrees. meaning from right to left. or vise versa. I have that chart taped to my gun stock. then as i range a target, i simply look at my chart, click the correct number of clicks, and then hold dead on. I shot today at 500yds hitting clay pigeons with a sporter weight rifle. I have shot deer at 350, 397, 467, and 490yds this way. to me, this is the best way to go, because i can shoot any range and hold dead on target.

my fathers gun has a Leupold VXII 4x112x40 scope with the LR duplex (pictured below). what he does is he zeros his gun at 200 yds. and the dots below the cross hairs represent 300 and 400 yards and the tip of the plex represents 500 yds. so you can quickly adjust for range. the scopes are generic but pretty accurate. thats a decent way to go either way, i think you will be better off

8656longrangeduplex.jpg

I think this might help ,MPBR maximum point blank range for a 270 win with a 140 grain bullethttp://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3230270win140.jpg
This what stinky was trying to say ( i think ) So you can hold dead on out to a range and not have to hold over. Hope this helps.

I've always had the philosophy that it should be dead on at 100 yds. When an animal is close (<200 yds.) I don't have to think about holding lower, calculating bullet travel in a matter of seconds and can focus on holding on where I'm looking. When you are at greater distances you usually have time to figure bullet drop, wind drift, etc.

Thats the idea of MPBR The bullet never leaves the 8 inch kill zone. So you hold dead on out to your MPBR.
Now with range finders and target turret on scopes you dont need to worry about this as much, along as you have time to range and set your scope.
My boys guns aren't as sophisticated as mine, so this is the way I site there guns in. Most young hunters ( like my boys ) where always shooting over game try to compensated for range, by shooting over animals. This has helped them.

My .270 WSM is sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards-that means it is dead on at 300 and only 9 inches low at 400. (If you sighted it in dead on at 100 you would be 21 inches low at 400.)
I can't see why anyone would do it any other way....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom