22-378 Weatherby?

V

VelvetJones

thinking about getting a new varmit rifle?
thinking the .22/378 weatherby might be the right gun?
anybody got one yet?
how fast are they?
any info will be appreciated.

VJ
49ca8f1a4fbfdf37.jpg

Sorry no help here... I shoot a 22-300RUM.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I wouldn't mess with those. I'd go straight for the .17/50 BMG. I'm getting about 6000 fps with mine but only get a dozen or so shots before I have to replace the barrel.
1750bmg.jpg

I heard that you can shoot a coyote over a mile away with one of them. Please post your results when you get one VJ.

That aint no varmint gun. thats a toy for wealthy big boys. Ultimate varmint gun for the fur, 22 cheetah. Open country rabbit gun , 204. Ground squirrel, 17 hmr. IMOP.

>That aint no varmint gun. thats
>a toy for wealthy big
>boys. Ultimate varmint gun for
>the fur, 22 cheetah.
> Open country rabbit
>gun , 204.
>Ground squirrel, 17 hmr.
> IMOP.

LOL....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You don't want the .17-378 the rpm's spin the bullets apart when they leave the barrel. Stick with the big-bore .22-378 better known as the 22 eargesplittenloudenboomer. Just plan on rebarreling about every 100 rounds.

I'm presently shooting a eargesplittenloudenboomer and am very satisfied with the velocities that i get from this gun. My problem is that i'm not sure the Core-lokt round nosed 22 caliber bullets i'm presently shooting are going to be tuff enough yet still expand for my trip to Alaska and coastal Bears.

Has anyone worked up a load yet for dangerous game?

I'd like to find a bullet with a high BC??

Do i need a muzzle break on this gun?

What twist rate does your eargesplittenloudenboomer have?

Thanks for the help!

Joey

what pressure setting are you using on your relief valve sage ??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have a .17/50BMG. I use a ramrod to pack as much H1000 in it as I can. You can usually get about 325 grains in it. No really. I shot a coyote at 2000 yards the other day. All I found was a little brown ring,(butthole) and the tip of his nose. Everything else was blown away. Maybe I'm loading it too hot. Not sure.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

Sage

When Kilo was young he hunted mammoths with his eargesplittenloudenboomer and said it worked extremely well. Not sure about the ballistic coeffiienct however. Muzzle breaks hadn't yet come along when Kilo was younger so I'm not sure about those either. The rifling is ruined after your first round clears the barrel at over 17,500 FPS so it becomes a smooth bore. This is all a second hand report so I can't vouch for it myself.

Ransom

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-09 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]"what pressure setting are you using on your relief valve sage ??"

Relief valve? I'm supposed to have a relief valve??

I'm hard plumbed JB. No relief until i look the other way and jerk that frigging trigger. I'ts a looking nice gun IMO, build by Hick Country Novelties, you should see the highly figured black plastic stock. Craftsmanship at it's best!!

Edit; Overton, thanks for the info man. That's what i really like about this website, lots of nice guys helping each other out!!!

Joey

Cuz; I do not like the idea of correcting you, but you are all wrong about Kilo using one when "He was young" to slay a wooley bugger.

I know for a fact that when Kilo was young he came down off the mountain with Moses. In fact Kilo was carrying the second set of stone tablets that had the rest of the commandments on them. He dropped and broke them and that is why we only have ten commandments today instead of the original 20.

As you know, that would be before the invention of smokless gunpowder and even black gunpowder.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-09 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]RELH

It's funny you mention Kilo and Moses as I happen to have a pic of the two fishing back in the day....I believe Eelgrass took the photo....

moses.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I wouldn't mess with those. I'd go straight for the .17/50 BMG. I'm getting about 6000 fps with mine but only get a dozen or so shots before I have to replace the barrel.
1750bmg.jpg
If you can coax them into getting into lines, a dozen rounds of .17/50 should take care of most of your groundhog problem. Country Western music maybe? The rest would probably move because the neighborhood has gotten too loud.

You do realize you are on a thread that is 15 years old some of these guys are not on here anymore...
Check the dates
I thought good jokes never got old. I am really old and still laugh at myself. It was tracking down the joke that brought me here. Maybe it was the wrong choice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom