2024 AZ elk chronicles

ktg

I was seriously thinking of moving to AZ for 6 months so i could draw this tag as I had 12 points and it took about 21 to guarantee drawing this year. Then I unbelievably drew a random tag. My wife drew it 3 years ago so we weren't going into the unit blind like usual. Bad new is that my youngest son drew the UT youth general elk tag which was right in the middle of my season. My wife insisted that i hunt the whole season in AZ as I told her that was my only regret on her hunt, that we only hunted 10 days. She stayed behind to be his guide and my 2nd to youngest son went with me to AZ for the first 2.5 days of the hunt.

I'm going to chronicle my time in Arizona, a day or 2 at a time, depending on how eventful the day was. Most of these will include text updates sent to my wife so don't expect proper english.
9-13. Friday the 13th. There were gremlins in my truck. We decided we needed to be extra careful on this day. lol.
Tried going to pond. Wind was wrong so we went around the road we took the first time we went there. At the turnoff there were 5 or 6 bugling south. Got 100 yards from a herd. Too many eyes. Chased the others a mile up the hill and gave up. Found 2 bulls bugling this afternoon. Got one to 100 yards and wouldn't come closer. Went to red rock hill. Pond is dry. Nothing down there.
First thing we were walking towards that herd, bugles every direction non-stop and turkeys yapping. Kael stopped and said "this is so cool!" lol. Saw more turkeys and 5 coyotes. I could have shot one at 10 yards but that's when that bull was at 100 yards. Saw 4 bucks, Kael said 3 were 4 points. Small.
While we were calling in that bull, my watch told me this, never seen that before:
9-13-24-2.jpg

9-13-24.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom