14 Day BLM Camping Limit

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
Does BLM enforce the 14 day camping limit, move 30+ miles and not return camping for 30 days in the Henry Mountains area? I'm thinking I should camp 30+ miles away until 14 days before the season closes to be safe from being forced to move during the hunt.

I’m not sure how you access the Henry Mountains, but I would consider renting an RV pad by the month in Hanksville or something like that (if you are using a travel trailer). I’ve done this in the past, in part because I don’t like the idea of leaving my camper out on public lands and I detest when other people do it. It is also nice to have the water and electrical hookups and many of the RV parks have showers, flush toilets, and stores.

I’m not sure how you access the Henry Mountains, but I would consider renting an RV pad by the month in Hanksville or something like that (if you are using a travel trailer). I’ve done this in the past, in part because I don’t like the idea of leaving my camper out on public lands and I detest when other people do it. It is also nice to have the water and electrical hookups and many of the RV parks have showers, flush toilets, and stores.
Good idea. Looks like it is still an hour or more each way but could it would be nicer.

We've Got Some Locals That Pull Their trailers Up In A Drainage Where There Are Very Few NON-Pay Camp Spots!

They Drag Em Up & Park Them a Month/Month & A Half Before Elk Season Rolls Around!

This Is On USFS Ground!

To My Knowledge They've Never Been Cited!

A few years ago, our family members drew archery, muzzleloader and any weapon hunt on the Vernon unit. Being the Dad I hauled my 5th wheel out early to get some scouting in before the archery hunt started. By the time the muzzleloader hunt was over I had exceeded the two week limit by a bunch. I got a “move it or loose it” notice attached to the door one day. I immediately called the gentleman who signed the notice and apologized. I also explained why we had been there so long and explained we still had one hunt left. I asked if it he would mind if I moved it but asked could I just move it 10 miles rather than 30, as per the regulation. He said, “sure no problem, and if you need another day or two to get it moved, go ahead, just get to it asap.”

Ever agent is different, I understand that but communication is not a bad way to approach that sort of thing…. in some cases anyway. The spirit of the rule is to keep people from homesteading on public land as well as keep people from claiming limited camp spots all summer long.

Last edited:
I Don't Know what It Is?

But Ever Since I've Put These Signs Up The Last Few Years I Haven't Had Any Issues!

camp covid IV.jpeg

Well, I got my answer from the BLM. I guess I'll stay in the private RV park in Hanksville and drive every day from there until a week before the season. I really don't want to lose potential hunting days being forced to move camp a 30+ mile radius (possibly many more miles than by road) away and do that drive during the season.

"The 14 day camping limit on Bureau of Land Management administered lands is a statewide supplemental rule. We do not have a means of authorizing your camp outside of those parameters. Beyond the 14-day period, occupation of another site shall not be within a 30-mile radius of the previously occupied location."

Well, I got my answer from the BLM. I guess I'll stay in the private RV park in Hanksville and drive every day from there until a week before the season. I really don't want to lose potential hunting days being forced to move camp a 30+ mile radius (possibly many more miles than by road) away and do that drive during the season.

"The 14 day camping limit on Bureau of Land Management administered lands is a statewide supplemental rule. We do not have a means of authorizing your camp outside of those parameters. Beyond the 14-day period, occupation of another site shall not be within a 30-mile radius of the previously occupied location."
Not surprised. Be like asking the police station if it'd be ok to drive 60 in a 55. The only answer is no. But just like that situation, if you don't ask, will they actually act on it? If they do act upon the limit- what exactly is the "penalty"- a ticket?

Couple years ago we were hunting NF in Wyoming, came back to camp and there was this ranger walking up to my camper. I drove in and we had a nice friendly conversation. He asked how long we'd been there. I told him when we arrived and how long we intended to stay- which was 2 days over the limit. He told me no problem, they weren't trying to harass legit hunters, just trying to keep people from setting up living situations on the forest. Good guy...

I will probably be doing the similar thing for a desert bighorn sheep hunt on the Dirty Devil unit east of the Henry Mountains, using initial base camp at Dukes RV in Hanksville. I stayed at Dukes for a couple days over Memorial Day weekend to start scouting the unit. I was impressed with the services available in Hanksville, but I suspect some of the businesses will close later in the Fall.

You expected a different official reply?…..

It is not like they are driving around taking a photo of every camp and noting the day you got there. It is hunting season, you would have to be a real @#$ to make someone move in the middle of their hunt. I would not worry about it.

I would imagine it would depend on how popular the area is for camping. While I'm not sure they do, I would expect enforcement around Strawberry Res. and other popular places. But down there, I doubt there are many people camping.
But maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. I've camped on the Henry's a few times and have never seen anyone that would be worried about camping limits.
I'm not sure if the 14 day limit applies to the McMillin springs campground. That's a pretty decent place to stay and has Potable water, tables and outhouses. The fee is whatever you feel you want to pay. I've put my wall tent here a couple times and have seen other campers here a few times.

Elmer…….. here’s what you might consider, if you are concerned about having to move 30 miles, every two weeks.

Camp in Hanksville, up until a couple of days before hunt start. (It’s not a quick drive.)

A day or two before the hunt opens, before all the mountain camp locations are taken, pull your outfit up and make your camp. 14 days should give you enough time to cut your tag. I’d would only worry about having to relocate when it came time……. but not before. If that makes sense.

I would hate to make the drive up and back from Hanksville every morning and every night. That would suck in my opinion.

Unenforceable and unenforced laws are the silliest things ever. Ask yourself these questions:
- How often have you actually seen a blm LEO runnin round?
- Do you think they have the ability to track every trailer that sets its tires onto BLM ground?
- Have you ever heard of anyone ever having this rule enforced on their trailer?
-how many tow trucks are willing to run that far into the woods to impound.

These questions come from a convo I had with a BLM LEO, who was not on the job at the time we talked. It’s a tool in the tool box that can be used for excessively messy squatters and a way to clean up messes left behind. I’m not saying to violate the law, but everyone speeds, right?

I would imagine it would depend on how popular the area is for camping. While I'm not sure they do, I would expect enforcement around Strawberry Res. and other popular places. But down there, I doubt there are many people camping.
But maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.
Founder, I know people that bring up there camp ASAP after the snow is gone and the roads open up. They leave their camps there all summer. They have been there since the last week in May and are still there. They have a "Neighborhood" up there and they set up cams with cell to watch when they are not there. They go up every weekend all summer. Then they all bring home after Labor day weekend. Its so ANNOYING!!!!! They get all the good spots all summer at Strawberry.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom