trailcam ethics

If you left your car in a public parking lot with the windows down and the key in the ignition and someone stole it would you still be mad? My cam is so well hidden off the trail I would be suprised if anyone would ever even get within 100 feet of it. 3 miles from any road, and about a 1/4 mile off the trail. On top of that I built a bracket out of steel that allows me to lock it to the tree and the metal plate stops anyone from getting to the card. Most people dont carry bolt cutters or a chain saw that far out in the woods. It also has the infared flash that does'nt give away its location. If it gets stolen, I'd be pissed, but its a chance you take when you leave something of value out in the woods.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hardway is right it's unfortunate that people can't respect other peoples property but that's the chance you take. However, don't think just because it's broken all over that it's another person. I have lost 2 trail cams to bears and 1 to elk. One I didn't find the chip until 1 month later.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

This is also why I don't buy expensive trail cams. Trust in the Lord, but lock your doors.

Upon encountering a trail cam while in the woods the only ethical thing to do is immediately back out of the area, approach from a different angle, and give it a moon shot.

>If it's not your leave it
>alone! Seems pretty simple to
>me.

+1 billion

I have seen peoples cameras, stands,ground blinds etc....and have never messed with any of it. Golden rule.

As to the original question. I have had trail cameras stolen and I use it as teaching tool for my kids. I explain to them how frustrating it is to be the victim and that I hope they remember to treat others/property with respect.

Hardway, good point but wouldn't it be nice to live in a society where you could leave your keys in your car and not have to worry about it.

>Hardway, good point but wouldn't it
>be nice to live in
>a society where you could
>leave your keys in your
>car and not have to
>worry about it.

Sure would. I'll do my part to raise my kids right so nobody has to worry about them, but in the end those a holes are still gonna be out there. You can either do what you can to protect your crap or keep "wishing" you were'nt a victim.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I think we may be fast approaching a time when people will no longer be motivated to steal. ....the government will do it for them. :(

498a6f395e505405.jpg

I have lost two trail cams this yr. already. My own fault for setting them on a lick and a waterhole that were just too accessible. They weren't very good cameras but still...whenever you leave something valuable on public land you run a risk,. I had a nice ground blind stolen in colorado a few years back. It sucks but that's the way it is.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-09 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]I have to think most of these theft incidents are due to jealousy and trying to run people out of the area because I think hunters as whole are some of the best people around. They aren't your run of the mill thieves that steal car stereos.

So being that i always set to cams on watter holes. One for four legged animals and one out of the way pointed on my other cam for to legged animals. Should i beat someones arse or light them up with my evidence with the local sheriff !!!!

Personally, I have a few cameras and i always put them up on private land. I have gotten a couple pics of trespassers but luckily none of them have stolen anything. I guess if I were to loose a memory card due to something like that I'd be less pissed then if the guy stole the hole cam. There's really no good to come from trespassing or stealing but damn, if your just trying to CYA then take the card.

There is a Low Life out on the South West Desert. Just got back from going to check pics, and one of our cameras is gone. He is driving a different type of vehicle, and has been all over the desert. We went to put a new camera in a very remote spot, followed his track and he had put a salt, and a camera in, so we backed out and respected his camera. Went to another location and his track was also on the trail into the spot. We get there and he had taken our camera. (Only track in since we put it in a week ago) He will be found!

Beware of a good deal on a Cuddeback trail camera. It is HOT

Does no one remember "THOU SHALT NOT STEAL" ? or have we gotten so far away that these 10 commandments mean nothing?

elklvr. I more than likly have pics of the same guy in question and think im going to handle it with a good old country arse woopin and then call the sheriff

Ireally hate to say it but i think its going to revert back to the 18 and 1900 when you just shot someone in the street for stealing specialy with the way the government is going in the crapper. longshooter has a good point of putting two cams on the same spot but that can get expensive. weatherbys rule

Just curious, have you guys had cameras stolen that were locked to the tree with the camera door locked. Seems to me this would prevent anything from being stolen if it's in a remote area.

CABINFEVER. Yes weve had people cut above and below the cams in a metal box to take cams before.Remote dont mean crap if thers water people are going to find it we did by air.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom