Pacific Crest Trail

Would it be tough for a guy that is afraid of heights ? I'm sure I would have too much fear or altitude would make me sick.

Mos………. Can you drive around the Sierras, continue walking the trail north, then come back and walk the Sierras when the snow’s gone……… and still count it as a successful trip?

Would it be tough for a guy that is afraid of heights ? I'm sure I would have too much fear or altitude would make me sick.
This is a tough question, and I can only answer it from my own experience. I too am afraid of heights when it comes to things like sky diving, cliff diving, bungy jumping, or walking out over the Grand Canyon on a glass floor. I avoid those types activities.

On the other hand, I personally have never felt fearful while on top of mountains, hiking across a "knife's edge" etc. I will stay away from a Cliff's edge if I can't see the bottom below, but I don't seem to have any problems walking a trail that's straight up on one side and straight down on the other.

So the best I can tell you is to go find out for yourself what you can and can't do. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
When you have time can you please elaborate on your CPAP machine, batt, and charger. Thx
I carry a ResMed Air Mini, and I drive it with an Easy Longer 40,000 mA 24 amp charger. A full charge will give me two nights plus recharge my phone, InReach, head lamp, and Skulz. I also carry an ozonic cleaner and clean it at least twice a week.

Mos………. Can you drive around the Sierras, continue walking the trail north, then come back and walk the Sierras when the snow’s gone……… and still count it as a successful trip?
I'm currently researching if there are any snowless sections of trail north of the Sierras to see if I can do exactly that. I might ruin it for some purists, but all I really care about is a continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada. If I have to leapfrog and then come back to a section, then that's what I need to do.

You must be well past the wind machines by now.....getting close to the Skodies?
There are still a few behind me and to the east. I'm about six miles from Jawbone Canyon road. First time I've had cell service all day.

Had to do a 20-mile water carry today. This my view looking back:

IMG_20240507_175333_140.jpg

I have really enjoyed reading this,

Thanks for taking the time to provide so many updates,

Good luck the rest of the way,

Mark,

I took an 8-day break from the trail during this stretch. I was just a day out of Tehachapi when my oldest daughter texted me and asked if she should get something for me to give to my wife on Mother's Day. That admttedly ate at me for the next couple days. So on Wednesday afternoon when I got an unexpected ride offer to Ridgecrest, I jumped at it, and there was able to rent a car back to New Mexico. It was awesome to be able to spend Mother's Day with my wife and family.

For whatever reason, it's much easier to rent a one way car out of California then it is back to California. So getting back involved Amtrak and buses and took a couple days longer than I expected. Anyway, yesterday morning I was able to get the same person that originally picked me up to drive me back to the same spot, so my continuous footpath is still in tact.

From here, my goal is to make it to Lone Pine by either Tuesday or Wednesday, where I'll be getting off trail once again for the birth of my granddaughter. I need to give the snow another week or two to melt anyway.

IMG_20240517_102230_588~2.jpg

May 6th you were in my neck of the woods. Wish I would have known could have picked you up and grabbed some food. Just seen this and following along now. When I retire I want to do this trail.

Mozey, as you know, the key to a safe and rewarding trek is in the preparation. There is still time, but it won't be long and you'll be entering into the Bigfoot zone of northern CA. Only 45% of PCT hikers have a direct encounter so odds are you will be fine. The key is to not panic or show fear and always stand your ground. Best of luck!

Mozey, as you know, the key to a safe and rewarding trek is in the preparation. There is still time, but it won't be long and you'll be entering into the Bigfoot zone of northern CA. Only 45% of PCT hikers have a direct encounter so odds are you will be fine. The key is to not panic or show fear and always stand your ground. Best of luck!
If I see Bigfoot, I'll probably need to have an extra pair of clean shorts in my pack that I can change into (I'll need to burn the old ones). Thanks for the heads up...

If I see Bigfoot, I'll probably need to have an extra pair of clean shorts in my pack that I can change into (I'll need to burn the old ones). Thanks for the heads up...
All kidding aside, I can't wait until you reach the Trinity Alps and the Marble Mountains, getting close to the Oregon border. My old stomping grounds.

You should be close to Inyo and then Mono counties. Views should be spectacular. Continue to keep us informed. Been a great adventure so far.

Coming off Bishop Pass today was nothing but an ice and snow field. I dropped off the first level and see a crow in the snow not flying away the moment that it saw me. I thought that was weird so I shuffled my way through the snow down to where it was. I got within 15 feet before the crow finally backed away, but it still didn't fly off. Then I saw the antler sticking out of the snow. It was a really nice muley shed. I went to pull it out, but it wouldn't budge. Whoa--there was still a whole mule deer attached to that antler, still frozen in the ice below. I gave it my best effort, but I still could not free it. Just guessing, but I think that thing was pushing 30 inches.

IMG_20240608_124640_137~2.jpg

IMG_20240608_130710_243~2.jpg

IMG_20240608_130823_330~2.jpg

Coming off Bishop Pass today was nothing but an ice and snow field. I dropped off the first level and see a crow in the snow not flying away the moment that it saw me. I thought that was weird so I shuffled my way through the snow down to where it was. I got within 15 feet before the crow finally backed away, but it still didn't fly off. Then I saw the antler sticking out of the snow. It was a really nice muley shed. I went to pull it out, but it wouldn't budge. Whoa--there was still a whole mule deer attached to that antler, still frozen in the ice below. I gave it my best effort, but I still could not free it. Just guessing, but I think that thing was pushing 30 inches.

View attachment 148217

View attachment 148218

View attachment 148219
Probably slice off a good loin Moz.

Great pictures.
Have not noticed any update and thought you may have taken some time off from the hike.
I started back last Tuesday (6/4) after taking two weeks off for the birth of my granddaughter. I just completed Lone Pine to Bishop, which due to still deep snow, raging rivers, and steep passes, were some really hard miles. Incredible country though, and so much eye candy I'm still trying to figure out how to organize the adventure.

Cottonwood Pass. This was my first day back after two weeks off, and my legs felt like lead, but I still managed 22 miles. Most of the hikers that I started with got off the trail to hike Mount Whitney, and most of the hikers that I finished the day with were all sore from just having completed Mount Whitney. I chose to skip Whitney because I'd hiked it previously. Also, somewhere in this stretch the PCT became one and the same as the John Muir Trail (JMT). Probably my favorite part of the day was seeing a stream that was chalk full of golden trout.
IMG_20240604_073349_590~2.jpg

IMG_20240604_145845_836~2.jpg

IMG_20240604_145837_070~3.jpg

IMG_20240604_062359_693~2.jpg

IMG_20240604_080853_458~2.jpg

IMG_20240604_200924_118~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_051301_649~2.jpg

I did not. I wish but if I'm going to finish this thing, I don't feel like I have time. However, one of my fellow hikers, a former Marine, has caught them using his trekking pole, dental floss, and a rooster tail. That makes me want to give it a shot.
I wrap fishing line around my water bottle and tape it down. It’s pretty fun to hand line .

Thanks for the update picture Moz. Congratulations on the birth of the granddaughter. Grandchildren are the best of the best!

Last edited:
Forester Pass--at 13,200' this is the highest point along the entire PCT. I had to use micro spikes for several miles on the approach because the trail was completely covered with snow. Just as I got to the base of the really steep part, a younger hiker trail named Sniper who carries an American flag on his pack caught up to me and suggested that we stick together for rest of the ascent. It really was quite treacherous, and I appreciated his willingness to stay with an older, slower hiker. When we finally made it up that thing, the view was amazing, but the northern exposed descent was even more snow. I was only able to get 17 miles that day.

IMG_20240605_063725_651~3.jpg

IMG_20240605_073141_376~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_080340_284~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_102824_545~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_101824_728~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_095715_032~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_084230_153~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_093906_971~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_103519_152~2.jpg

IMG_20240605_105923_520~2.jpg

What's Up With The Weapons Prohibited?

Cottonwood Pass. This was my first day back after two weeks off, and my legs felt like lead, but I still managed 22 miles. Most of the hikers that I started with got off the trail to hike Mount Whitney, and most of the hikers that I finished the day with were all sore from just having completed Mount Whitney. I chose to skip Whitney because I'd hiked it previously. Also, somewhere in this stretch the PCT became one and the same as the John Muir Trail (JMT). Probably my favorite part of the day was seeing a stream that was chalk full of golden trout.View attachment 148237

View attachment 148235

View attachment 148236

View attachment 148238

View attachment 148239

View attachment 148240

View attachment 148241

Hey mozey?

You Shoulda Made A SHED Out Of That Antler & You Coulda Got You A Venison Steak With Alot Of Chipping!:D

That Meat Would Still Be Good!

Did A Fresh Steak Sound Really Good To You?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom