Pacific Crest Trail

Would it be tough for a guy that is afraid of heights ? I'm sure I would have too much fear or altitude would make me sick.

Mos………. Can you drive around the Sierras, continue walking the trail north, then come back and walk the Sierras when the snow’s gone……… and still count it as a successful trip?

Would it be tough for a guy that is afraid of heights ? I'm sure I would have too much fear or altitude would make me sick.
This is a tough question, and I can only answer it from my own experience. I too am afraid of heights when it comes to things like sky diving, cliff diving, bungy jumping, or walking out over the Grand Canyon on a glass floor. I avoid those types activities.

On the other hand, I personally have never felt fearful while on top of mountains, hiking across a "knife's edge" etc. I will stay away from a Cliff's edge if I can't see the bottom below, but I don't seem to have any problems walking a trail that's straight up on one side and straight down on the other.

So the best I can tell you is to go find out for yourself what you can and can't do. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
When you have time can you please elaborate on your CPAP machine, batt, and charger. Thx
I carry a ResMed Air Mini, and I drive it with an Easy Longer 40,000 mA 24 amp charger. A full charge will give me two nights plus recharge my phone, InReach, head lamp, and Skulz. I also carry an ozonic cleaner and clean it at least twice a week.

Mos………. Can you drive around the Sierras, continue walking the trail north, then come back and walk the Sierras when the snow’s gone……… and still count it as a successful trip?
I'm currently researching if there are any snowless sections of trail north of the Sierras to see if I can do exactly that. I might ruin it for some purists, but all I really care about is a continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada. If I have to leapfrog and then come back to a section, then that's what I need to do.

You must be well past the wind machines by now.....getting close to the Skodies?
There are still a few behind me and to the east. I'm about six miles from Jawbone Canyon road. First time I've had cell service all day.

Had to do a 20-mile water carry today. This my view looking back:

IMG_20240507_175333_140.jpg

I have really enjoyed reading this,

Thanks for taking the time to provide so many updates,

Good luck the rest of the way,

Mark,

I took an 8-day break from the trail during this stretch. I was just a day out of Tehachapi when my oldest daughter texted me and asked if she should get something for me to give to my wife on Mother's Day. That admttedly ate at me for the next couple days. So on Wednesday afternoon when I got an unexpected ride offer to Ridgecrest, I jumped at it, and there was able to rent a car back to New Mexico. It was awesome to be able to spend Mother's Day with my wife and family.

For whatever reason, it's much easier to rent a one way car out of California then it is back to California. So getting back involved Amtrak and buses and took a couple days longer than I expected. Anyway, yesterday morning I was able to get the same person that originally picked me up to drive me back to the same spot, so my continuous footpath is still in tact.

From here, my goal is to make it to Lone Pine by either Tuesday or Wednesday, where I'll be getting off trail once again for the birth of my granddaughter. I need to give the snow another week or two to melt anyway.

IMG_20240517_102230_588~2.jpg

May 6th you were in my neck of the woods. Wish I would have known could have picked you up and grabbed some food. Just seen this and following along now. When I retire I want to do this trail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom