Mr. Eelgrass, and others, how is the fishing?

Salmon season is closed for the year. F&W emergency closed the razor clam digging but not for a lack of clams :mad:. My buddy just spent $139 for a new clam gun too. but the surf perch fishing is okay. I'll start halibut fishing in May.

What kind of fish are in your pond?

Eel,
Despite growing up a 3 wood from the ocean, I am not much of an angler.
I took my boys out a couple of times last year with our surf rods, crab snares and some rigging to fish for perch with sand fleas. Did pretty well snaring, I think we got 4 keeper dungees and a half dozen rock crab in a few hours of casting. But the perch were another story. Two trips, and we can't seem to get the skunk off.
Any advice for a rookie on catching surf perch?

Eel,
Despite growing up a 3 wood from the ocean, I am not much of an angler.
I took my boys out a couple of times last year with our surf rods, crab snares and some rigging to fish for perch with sand fleas. Did pretty well snaring, I think we got 4 keeper dungees and a half dozen rock crab in a few hours of casting. But the perch were another story. Two trips, and we can't seem to get the skunk off.
Any advice for a rookie on catching surf perch?
My favorite bait is sand fleas. One "secret" is to catch a bunch of sand fleas (the limit is 50/day in CA) and take them home and dip them in boiling water for about 10 seconds and they will turn orangish. Then freeze them for the next fishing trip. They work very well. Raw unshelled shrimp works too. Use enough weight to keep your bait from moving too much. Sometimes up to 4-5 ounces if the ocean is rough. If there is a best time, I would say around low tide and incoming but sometimes the tide doesn't matter, you'll still catch fish. If we don't get hit within a half hour we will move. We try to read the surf to see where to start. You want to fish the deeper water where there is a trough or a hole. It's hard to explain so maybe this video will help. Once to see it you'll know from then on. Then some days you can't buy a fish no matter what you do. I hope this helps.

My favorite bait is sand fleas. One "secret" is to catch a bunch of sand fleas (the limit is 50/day in CA) and take them home and dip them in boiling water for about 10 seconds and they will turn orangish. Then freeze them for the next fishing trip. They work very well. Raw unshelled shrimp works too. Use enough weight to keep your bait from moving too much. Sometimes up to 4-5 ounces if the ocean is rough. If there is a best time, I would say around low tide and incoming but sometimes the tide doesn't matter, you'll still catch fish. If we don't get hit within a half hour we will move. We try to read the surf to see where to start. You want to fish the deeper water where there is a trough or a hole. It's hard to explain so maybe this video will help. Once to see it you'll know from then on. Then some days you can't buy a fish no matter what you do. I hope this helps.

I forgot to add....another "secret" bait that works well is Berkley Gulp sandworms. Get the 2" in Camo color. They stay on the hook well. Sometimes they out fish the sand crabs.

We've always done well on perch on the standard motor oil grub.

e7c4ef_13e1e25bde064dc3b3aca43813378335.jpg

I used to fish for perch a lot. The gulp sand worms work great. I’ve never really messed with fresh/natural bait. Also caught a lot with the motor oil grubs. Usually will use a heavier spinning rod and Carolina rig, slow retrieve. When you find a nice hole with fish the action can be amazing! Key is to learn to read the rip currents and waves to find those deeper holes and places where they are hanging out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom