Zion Unit 29

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
Hey guys, could use a little help. I have been hunting hard on unit 29. It is my first time even driving in the area let alone hunting it. I took my 11 year old with me and we went to find a buck on the muzz hunt. We usually hunt the Wasatch Front and pack in with horses....Zion is way way different....no where to get away from the roads. The unit is thick with trees and tough to see through. We were caught in a Flash Flood in Swains Creek. It was a tough weekend.

Anyway. I am lost. I don't get how to hunt this area. Are the deer all lower by Coral Pink? I am used to spot and stock at 10000 ft elevation. I don't know how to hunt this area. We see a lot of does but no bucks.

There is a ton of private ground...and Zions Ntnl Park. But 50% of the people that drew shot a buck last year. I could really use a pointer or two. Thanks guys!

Any ideas?

If you want to send info by PM then please do. Thanks.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-14 AT 03:17AM (MST)[p]It's true that there isn't much spot and stalk habitat and with the rain we're having this time of year, sitting on water isn't very effective either. You'll either have to find a meadow or brushy hillside you can watch or stillhunt the aspens or even road hunt. Additionally, most of the larger bucks are either still in the higher country on the Panguitch Lake side of SR14 or down in the private property, but the smaller bucks are still around the FS land on top (at least until the first snow flies, which may be happening now). But they don't move much because they have everything they need close at hand.

If you have horses or want to hike in, try the now closed road into Deep Creek which is just east of the Webster Flat road off SR14. There's a flat parking area at the head and several small meadows on the way in with larger open areas at the bottom. Or drive the tougher logging roads/trails off of the Webster Flat road or Strawberry Valley, Strawberry Ridge or Duck Creek Ridge roads. Just put some time in and you'll see bucks! Good hunting!

Thanks guys, I sent you a PM.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Thanks for the info guys. We ended up passing on some 2 points by the road. I am hoping to see more on the rifle hunt. Thanks again...you guys are great!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom