Zen-Ray ED2 85mm Spotter

never_catch

Long Time Member
Has anyone taken a peak thru one of these spotters yet?? Thinking about getting it but I'd like to hear some opinions on it...

~Z~

You can read a review about it here
http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189659

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

redrabbit thanks for the link, this is actually the only review I've seen on it yet. If you happen to come across any more please post em up. Thanks again!!

~Z~

I am also interested in this one. Have been saving up for a Vortex Razor. But this one comes along for $1200, which is $400 less expensive.

Yep, $999 with the $200 off for the birdforum coupon or whatever. They are also $999.95 at swfa right now.

I'm really thinking hard about this one. I have a pair of the Zen Ray 10X43 ED2's and am very happy with them. Of course I'm not an optics snob and still think my Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB are pretty good. ;-)

Is the 64oz a pretty standard weight for a scope that size? I have an old Bausch and Lomb 20-60x 70mm scope that I thought was pretty heavy and I looked up the specs on it and it only weighs 40oz.

Looks like that weight is right in line with other 80mm scopes. The Vortex Razor is 66oz. The Swarovski is only 45oz but that doesn't include the eyepiece, looks like the eyepiece runs around 9oz for 54 oz total so it is a little lighter.

I'm going to have to weight my current scope, it seems heavier than 2.5lbs.

I handled the Razor spotter. It's quite compact, much shorter than the skyline. I don't think the weight is an issue for me. Now, since ZEN are similar to Razor, it should work well too. thanks for pointing out the $200 discount. hopefully they still have the promotion running when I got the fund available next week.

They said they're in the process of making a straight model but it won't be available for a few more months. I really don't like angled scopes but at the same time I really want a new ED2 spotter!! I think I'll be the first guy with the straight model...

~Z~

So what's the verdict on this thing?? I know a couple of you guys on here said you ordered it...how does the glass compare to the ZR binos??

~Z~

A friend of mine let me demo one about a month ago and its the real deal. I compared it to a standard defination Swaro 20-60x80 and they are neck and neck. Hard to tell much difference between the two and certainly not $1000 in difference. Swaro is lighter though. Love the dual speed focus on the zen-ray. Not sure how it compares to the Razor but I'd suspect they'd be pretty comparable.

http://www.sandsarchery.com/Zen_Ray_Optics_20_60x82mm_ED2_Spotting_Scope_p/zed220x60.htm

Sorry, it's been a very hectic few weeks for me to really get out and try mine. I just realized that I haven't even checked to see if it fits in my backpack yet!

I will really try to get out and mess with it this weekend. I've been reading some stuff on a bird forum where they are putting some through the paces and doing star tests with them and other stuff I don't even understand. I looked through mine on the back porch and it was clear, but I didn't have my old scope out at the same time to really compare anything.

I'll make a committement to get it done this weekend.

Nathan

I got it last week. My friend has a Vortex Razor. We put them side by side over the weekend. Both of they are clear and sharp, all the way to 45-55x. There is slight drop off on resolution at 60x, which is expected for all spotters. Finish is very nice. Vortex razor has a tube viewfinder, which is a nice feature. Other than that, we couldn't find any difference between these two spotters. We suspect their eyepieces are even interchangeable. But we haven't dared to try them yet.

Ditto the lack of observable difference. After some nail biting, I finally bought the ZEN ED 2 Spotter. I tired it initially side by side with a nearly brand new Kowa Prominar TSN 884 20-60 and the Kowa showed precious little to separate what there was occurred mainly at 50x and above. I got to put mine side by side to a Razor HD the other day. The only way to distinguish them was to look at the label and see which one you were looking through. The ZEN way "maybe" brighter at high magnification. This was likely due to the dielectric coating pentaprism of the ZEN vs the silver coated Razor pentaprism.

Thanks for the feedback on this and I hope to hear more and more good!! I'm kinda upset about the eyepiece coming out though, that definitely put the straight version on the backburner!! Might end up with one of each though cuz I don't wanna wait that long!!

~Z~

Okay, I was able to get the scope out and mess with it some this weekend, but nothing really objective that I can say brighter, clearer, does this at X magnification, etc.

It does fit in my eblerlestock J34 backpack though!

I'm happy with it. Clear, good image, decent eye relief. Just didn't get a chance to do a full blown review on it.

About the only negative is that the soft case that comes with it fits very tight. I ended up cutting off the flap that goes where the tripod attaches because it wouldn't stay closed with the scope in it anyway.

Here's a picture from 140 yards with it on 20X through my iphone.

zen_ray_4bucks.jpg

The slight blur is a function of me holding my iphone freehand while taking the picture and the phone focused on the buck on the left.

I think I'm going to really like it. I will probably buy a 30x wide angle eyepiece for it, conditions have to be just perfect to really take advantage of the highest zoom maginfications anyway.

I have a cheap Sunpak tripod. After getting my ZEN ED2 spotter, I am trying to figure out which tripod is better suited for my spotter without costing a arm and leg. Thanks

You guys that have had your ED2 spotters for a couple months now, are you happy with them?? Any complaints or things that bother you about em?? How are they with digiscoping??

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

I am still amazed by how sharp this ED2 spotter is. It's not just sharp in the center, but across the whole field. I couldn't detect any color fringing even if I look for it hard. The dual focus works great with very smooth operation. The see-through case is a little tight, which took me a little effort to put it on. Other than that, I cannot pick any flaw with my unit. The 20-60x eyepiece is massive and elegant. My friend has a Leupy Kenai 80mm spotting scope. The image quality is discernably better with the ZEN. The EP of ZEN is about twice as big as the Leupold eyepiece. I dunno if that has anything to do with the image quality. I haven't really tried digiscoping yet other than taking a few picture with my hands using my iPhone. I need to get a better tripod to replace my flimsy sunpak tripod.

Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping you still liked it...I'm thinking about breaking down and getting it soon instead of waiting on the straight model...maybe??

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

LAST EDITED ON May-30-11 AT 10:45AM (MST)[p]Vortex has a straight Razor HD model. IMO, optically and mechanically, ZEN ED2 and Vortex Razor are the same spotting scope with different badges when I compare mine with my friend's Razor. I am sure you will be happy with the Razor too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom