Zeiss Conquest Vs Cabelas Euros

I

idhoundsman

If you had a grand to spend would you buy the new Zeiss Conquest 10X42 HD or the Cableas Euros in 10X42 HD? Is the there something in that price range that is better right now?

Dont really have any advice because I am in the same boat, budget of right around 1k, trying to not peek at the new trinovids for $1500. Still trying to make the decision between the Zeiss and Cabelas euros...

I cannot comment on the Cabela's Euro's in HD but I can tell you that I bought the regular Euro's for my wife from the bargain cave at Cabela's in Salt Lake for $630.00 and they are outstanding. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to spend less than a thousand. The Euro's are made by Meopta which is a European optic company that has been around for a long time. Cabela's has a great warranty so that is another plus. My wife kept stealing my swaro el's so I had to get her something.
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Euro's or the Zeiss. I would compare them optically in the store and outside the store. Also compare the construction. I did notice that the bargain cave had quite a few of the old Euro's in the counter. I don't know if they were making room for the new Euro's or if the old Euro's had problems. Zeiss is definitely high quality and you should not have any worries with them. Goodluck with your choice. fatrooster.

With a budget of $1k, I'd be buying used Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss (not Conquests). Buy the best, forget the rest!..

I'd suggest you read this review before you buy the Zeiss conquest. I agree with this guy about the Pentax DCF ED. I think they are as good (I want to say better but have not looked through everything) as anything you'll ever look through for less than a couple grand.

They are simply fantastic glass and if your patient you can find them way less than the $900-$1,100 they generally go for.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=227336

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-12 AT 03:00AM (MST)[p]Pentax does not make a bino in the class of the Conquest HD or Meopta HD. The Pentax DCF ED is now out of its element in the $1000 class binos. A Zen Ray Ed3 will easily best the Pentax DCF SP.

The Conquest HD is quite an upgrade form the old conquest-same can be said for the Meopta HD. Both are sharper, brighter and have better contrast than the previous versions. No more yellow tint in the Meopta like the last Euro/meostar.

From the bulk of the reviews I have seen ( and some of my limited observations).

The Zeiss is brighter but shows a little more CA (color fringing on the edge of objects) than the meopta HD. Both are about equal in sweet spot and edge sharpness.

Some people have had eye relief problems with the Zeiss, it depends on you eye spacing and if you wear glasses. The Meopta HD is heavy by today's standards for a 10x42. The Meopta has bad placement and an easy to bump diopter. Ergos are better on the Meopta and its easy to hold.

You really need to look through both side by side under varying light/atmospheric conditions.

If I were going to spend more I would look for a used/demo Zeiss FL at around $1300-1500 as the next logical step up in optics. Superior to any current Leica, pre HD Swarovski SLC or EL. Only equaled/bested by the Swarovision and SLC HD and new Zeiss Victory HT.

Interesting. have the Conquest's been reworked or upgraded recently? They were on the list I was considering when I was shopping around but bad reviews and only a 5 year "no fault" warranty turned me off.

BTW I've compared the Pentax sided by side in the field with glass costing almost three times what you could pay for the DCF ED's.

Swarovski's SLC (brand spanking new) ergos were better. I'd be splitting some serious hairs to say they were much better optically. The Pentax were better than the Trinovid's (2-3 years old according to the owner) in every way. Had all three on the hill side at the same time.

This is all IMO of course and everyone's eyes are different.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-12 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]Zeiss no fault warranty means;

No matter what you do to them they will raplace them for the first 5 years. After that they still have the lifetime transferable warranty on manufacturer defects.

Yes the Conquest HD is a new design all together, much better than the old Conquest/Conquest ABK.

Zeiss makes the Conquest HD in 8 and 10x42 and just released 32mm versions.

I have Fujinon 7X50 FMTRC-SX and 10X50 FMTR-SX...both are the same size...definately on the heavy side. They are $600 and I wouldn't trade them for anything, including swarovski and zeiss. I do have a swarovski spotter.

I absolutely believe this is the best binocular made. too bad you can't look through them anywhere.

I only bring it up because its under the above price range.

>With a budget of $1k, I'd
>be buying used Swarovski, Leica,
>or Zeiss (not Conquests). Buy
>the best, forget the rest!..
>

I was in the same boat, and this is what I did. Found a set of Swaro SLC NEU 10x42s never taken outside for $1100. Took a lot of searching, but was well worth the effort. I haven't had the itch for anything else ever since, which probably would have happened if I settled for anything else. It was an upgrade from my previous Zeiss Conquest 10x40 ABKs.

www.bowhuntingetc.blogspot.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom