Yukon Moose ????

N

nontypical250

I'm looking for a good outfitter at a reasonable price or any kind of information for me and my father. We would like to go moose hunting in a few years. Anyone have any suggestions?

What do you consider a reasonable price and I can list some outfitters I am familiar with? I have been fortunate to hunt moose in BC and the Yukon and will pass on what I know.

Well I definatley know its not under 9000. I was just looking for some info. I know Canadian Moose aren't as big as the Yukon and that the cost is a lot less. Maybe that might be the route to go? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hunted with Kawdy Outfitters (Bart & Stan Lancaster) on the BC/Yukon border. Hunted on the BC side, shot a bull that scored just under 200 and a mountain caribou just over 400. My friend shot a 370 class caribou and a 64" moose that had to be Yukon. Just a monster bull that looked all Alaskan/Yukon. Scored around 214. Shot a nice 9" mtn goat as well on a separate trip. Tremendous hunt, would go again in a heartbeat and it was around $10,000 for the moose/caribou at the time. Hunted in the Yukon with Rogue River Outfitters and shot 14x14 moose, just over 60" wide with a big 7+" cheater. Have not got it home yet to give it a score. Absolutely fortunate to harvest two wolves as well. Very unexpected! The area in the Yukon had zero mtn caribou or grizzly. Did horseback in BC and boat hunt in the Yukon. Both tremendous areas. I have heard from many others while waiting in Whitehorse that Tim Mervyn is top notch as well. Mervyn's Yukon Guiding. I had narrowed to Rogue River and Mervyn's. I think either way would be good. I have been told they are both 100% booked for moose in 08 and have quite a few booked in 09. Ask any other question and I will answer.

All of the above is great information. I hunted Moose with Rogue River Outfitters before Jim Shockey owned it. The area is one of the most famous in the Yukon for big moose and big caribou. It is an incredible area!

I would hunt the Yukon over Alaska for a giant moose. You might check out Jim Fink and Blackstone...they kill some pretty good moose. Tim Mervyn runs a top notch outfit as well and I have a friend who has killed 3 or 4 Dall sheep with him.

I am shocked at the price of moose hunts now...they are the same as Dall sheep.

There are a lot of good outfitters in BC for a Cananda Moose. I have hunted with Gundahoo, Dave and Gord Jeck (it has sold now to one of Gundahoo's guides Colin). Lots of good moose in BC but why not slay a big Alaska Yukon bugger?

Thanks for the information. I'll look into those outfitters. I can't believe the prices either...

One thing that I have noticed is that in my experience and from what I have heard, the mixed bag hunts are better success in northern BC than in the Yukon. Yukon obviously has bigger moose but the success on caribou, grizzly, etc. is much less with the outfitters that I know and have heard about. I know that where I was at in the Yukon there was only about 10% of the area in the Rogue that had a decent population of caribou. I was right in the middle of the area and I was told that the odds of harvesting a caribou was slim to none. I think they only harvest about 3-4 per year. I know when I was hunting with the Lancaster's that there area has caribou all over there entire area. Scoop Lake has moose and tremendous goat hunting in BC. I met a hunter that hunted with Fink's and had the hunt of a lifetime. He did a moose with his bow and said it was tremendous.

I guided in Rogue river 2002 and 2004, which year did you guys hunt up there. There are lots of mountain caribou, you just have to be put in the right camp. It is probably among the best places in North america to hunt moose...

I hunted there this year and hunted out of Murry. I was told by my guide and the pilot that the majority the caribou were now up in the Algae area. They did shoot a 435 and 400+ out of the same group as well as a couple of others later one. Just passing on what I was told and I did not see any in my area and the previous hunter did not as well.

Im not sure where murry is, i have been to algae and all of the argo camps back when we took horses in that country. Misty lake and Arrowhead are also good caribou camps...

Cam Drinnan was the owner at the time I went. I killed a 58" moose that scored 210 and a 383 caribou. Killed my caribou near Einarson Lake (spelling?). Killed my bull moose real close to the NWT border.

My dad killed a caribou, wolf, and grizzly on that hunt as well...it was one of best hunts I've ever been on.

The area has immense moose still, I hear. The mountain caribou are fantastic as well.

Fred Wilkening was a guide then...my guide's name was Leo and my dad was guided by an indian named Amos #####. Amos had the best game spotting eyes I've ever seen and was a phenomenol woodsman.

I hunted in the Yukon in 2006 and shot a 406 boo and a black bear and a 55" moose on a 8 day hunt. my outfitter was teslin outfitters it run by ken reeder. The best part is you can shoot stone sheep and grizzly for only 6000 and 5000 kill fee. I saw some sheep but all ews and also two grizzlys and two wolves but to far away that day. I will try to post my pics.

Peter Koser, Koser outfitters Peter uses Horses, Has a super area killed a good moose and caribou with him, saw lots of animals of each plus wolves, grizzlies, also killed a woverine. Super area he only hunts an area for a year and doesn't come back to it for at least 4 years, giving his animals a chance to grow up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom