Youth Cow Elk Suggestions

B

BobH92057

Long time lurker here on MM. Just getting back into the hunting game in the last year or so now that my boys are getting old enough. Took some time off (23 years with the USAF, Security Forces) and now its time to pass on the tradition.

Thus far, I've been able to bank a couple points for my oldest son who's now 15, but have to wait another year for my 13 year old to be elegible for bull elk points.

I'm considering putting my 13 YO in for a cow elk hunt later this year (zero points, non-res) and would like to get some recommendations as far as units that he potentially draw. I know Utah allots 20% of the available tags to youth, which is outstanding.

Any suggestions on Cow Elk units that would make for an enjoyable hunt, scenery, mild terrain, the possibility of hearing screaming bulls and maybe a chance at a cow?

Feel free to PM

Bob

I do not know Utah enough to help you, but my family has hunted many youth hunts around the west. If you are interested in other states send me a PM and I will tell you what I know. Some states start at a much younger age then 14.

DZ

Here is a quick list of hunts that were drawn by residents last year with 0 points. Typically NR are alloted 1:10 tags that residents get. Not sure if that is true for antlerless, though. The DWR site doesn't have the antlerless info up yet, but I'd watch for when it does (http://wildlife.utah.gov/2014-antlerless-hunts.html)

I don't know much about any of these units, but hopefully this gets you started. Just as a suggestion though, the units that issue the most tags, typically have the most elk.

77390a_elk.jpg

Appreciate the info, thanks! my oldest son, now 15 was drawn for a youth only hunt in Az last year, seen lots of great bulls and the cows we seen were eithetr out of range, moving too fast or just couldnt get a good ethical shot. He had a great time, as I did too, so hoping my youngest can experience the same.

We'll keep our eyes out for 2015 regs and check the data. Hoping to find a good unit in the southern part of the state.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom