Youth Bows...

elks96

Long Time Member
So I have 6 year old who absolutely loves shooting bows... Well at least she loves helping me when I am shooting. Since June she has been asking for her own bow. I did not want to go get her something crappy as she is the type that if she does not find success she will just find something else. So I want her to have a great chance at getting the right start.

So I need suggestions. I have a Mathews, my wife has a PSE, brand does not matter much but quality does. I had a friend tell me about a Mathews Menace, but want information from those with first hand experience. Also if she decides it is not her thing it can easily be passed on to my son who at the age of 2 is already shooting well and talks about hunting and deer 90% of the time. I am sure he will use it as well.

What you think?

While I am sure there will be different opinions on this I would recommend the Diamond Atomic for a kid her age and here is why. I researched and studied a pile of youth bows out there for my son. While there are a lot of good ones out there that had the draw length and weight that he needed, a lot just simply weighed to much. I really liked the Bear outbreak and Mission Craze, but the weight for a younger archer is just to much to promote good habits. They will rush the shot just to let the string loose because physically it is just to much on a young ones outstretched arm to hold 3.5-4 lbs of bow weight. I would rather them develop good form and be comfortable shooting. The Atomic weighs in at 2.5 lbs. Quite a difference from the others. It goes from 5 lbs to 29 lbs which should give him a few years out of it anyway. By the time he outgrows it, he will be ready for another bow anyway. Another good one is the Diamond Infinite edge. It weighs a little more than the Atomic, but less than the others and it goes from 5-70 lbs weight. Sharp looking bow to. Good luck at least there are some decent options nowadays.

smiley-violent064.gif

Take a look at the PSE Chao's it is the lightest quality Youth bow out there. It's design is awesome and smooth drawing for the young ones. Easy adjustments for draw lenght without changing cams as they grow. It is high quality, hunting quality and you can purchase limbs in 15lbs draw strenghts so as they grow you just get the next set of limbs. One guys young one got his first elk this year with a Chao's. We picked one up for my Grandson three years ago. He is 10 now and is about ready for the next set of limbs. Have a peep installed and a kisser button. We have found that if you purchase those "bow packages" you will be wasting your money "sights" will break within a year or less.. Most accessories provided are junk! Which ever brand you choose I suggest purchasing bow only then purchase accessories that are adult quality and fit your pocket book. We put a BlackGold 5 pin on it...what an awesome sight with consistant pin brightness. The fiberoptic's are unmatched IMO.

))))-------->

The PSE Chao's weights 3.2 lbs and has 75% let off. We also found with the little ones best to leave the quiver off the bow to reduce weight until they get stronger. At your daughters age you should carry the arrows and just let her carry the 1 arrow she has nocked. As stated above...Kids will get tired quickly so keep it fun for them...and don't push'm :) As they get older you won't be able to get them off a 3D range..Our 10yr old Grandson shoots his Chao's out to 40yds now with consistant groups the size of a soccer ball. Quality bow and arrows..equal quality shooting results with proper form and training.

))))------->

I have two boys ages 7 and 5 who shoot the Mathews Genesis's they also have a brother who is 3 and shoots. We have not had any problems with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom