Your Family Tree?????

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I was thinking of checking out one of those sites like ancestry dot com. All I know is my grandparents name and where they lived.

Has anybody done it? Is it worth it? What were you able to find out and how far back can you go?

Eel

I have used the free service offered through the LDS church and have been able to search back to the 1350s on one line, most into the early 1600s, and a few into the 1400s. It is interesting to see the names and dates of ancestors, but more so to find old stories about who they were (usually people from the 1600-1800s). Lots of people have compiled info over the years, which is now fairly easy to access on the Web. Be careful though, you might end up finding you are related to sketchy individuals such as JB, BO, or BT.....

Eel....my Mom is very involved in that type of stuff. She always tells people that there is a ton of good info on there but also some bad. Record keeping was'nt as good in the old days and one little hicup could have you related to Overton or JB. :) She spends hours and hours traveling to different county records to verify birth certs, death certs, marriage licenses, etc.

Every year for Christmas she gives everyone a really nice printed/bound book with all of the family history she has dug up over the last year....... A ton of info is lost with each death so I feel very fortunate to have all of my family history. It's a lot of work but your kids and grandkids will appreciate knowing where they came from.

I don't care where it takes me. It is what it is.

I'm thinking I might be related to Christopher Columbus. I'm always heading out to discover something and get lost. I wake up in a new world almost every day.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom