Your Dads Mounts

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I am just curious what you all will do with your Dads shoulder mounts, full mounts, racks and/or pelts when he is no longer here. My Dad has some mounts from Africa and some mule deer mounts that I won't have room for. I have my own mounts that I am proud of. I hate the thought of getting rid of my Dads stuff, but what else can I do with them? What will be the plans for YOUR Dads stuff?

Barn fire several years ago. Burned up all my mounts/hides as well as my dads. Sniff,

I've Heard You Talk about it a couple times doc & Sorry to hear it!

Can You Tell us what all You Guys Lost in the Taxidermy/Racks part of the fire?

Barn fire several years ago. Burned up all my mounts/hides as well as my dads. Sniff,

My dad a total and complete nozzle. If I came into posession of anything of his I'd torch it and piss on the ashes . After the fire was out I'd dump diesel on it and burn it again. If that didn't do the trick I'd hang the items and then burn them.

My dad had a B&C buck and Antelope scull plate. My son has them on the wall in his house now.
We are lucky to have a cabin with a few mounts and antlers from three generations.
Hopefully they along with future memories will get passed down as a family history.
If it all goes up in flames I hope there are some photos to pass down.

I'd build a new room if I had to. But my dad didn't do the trophy thing so there's not much concern for me. But as eel simply stated, it probably is gonna depend on the attachment that you have for your father through the mounts. It's probably a question only you can answer cause the dusty fur and horns don't mean anything.....

My wife sold her father's mounts to Cabelas over 15 years ago. Consisted of 5 rams, billy goat, deer, and antelope. The billy goat and antelope made honorable mention in Boone & Crockett book. The rams were all full curl horns, but missed making the book.
She kept the Grizzly and elk mount at the farm house.
She got a very good price for them. Since Cabelas has been bought out, I do not know if they still purchase mounts to display in their stores.
RELH

There’s only one mount of my dads that’s a record book that would really be worth anything. I have five sub book European mounts, and a few shoulder mounts. I plan to sell them in the later years of retirement. If that doesn’t work, I’ll donate them to a critter org. Maybe they could get a few bucks for them. All shoulder mounts we have are professionally done and look amazing.

Hey coues!

Don't you have any Kids/Grand-Kids that would like to keep them in your Family?

There’s only one mount of my dads that’s a record book that would really be worth anything. I have five sub book European mounts, and a few shoulder mounts. I plan to sell them in the later years of retirement. If that doesn’t work, I’ll donate them to a critter org. Maybe they could get a few bucks for them. All shoulder mounts we have are professionally done and look amazing.

I have an Old five point bull elk my dad shot in Wyoming in the 60's and I have a solid 206 deer from 1958 that my Uncle shot and had on the wall for years.
My son wants all of my mounts as he was there with me on most of the hunts. It's his memories as well.
My Dad did shoot a monster in the Henry's in the 60's that was the second place buck at Zinicks but someone stole it out of our garage and we never got it back.
it was 33" wide and was a solid four point no trash. Still wished I had it back. Just for the memories

Hey coues!

Don't you have any Kids/Grand-Kids that would like to keep them in your Family?
I don’t have any kids. I’m the youngest of three, two older sisters. Guns and hunting were two things dad and I would alway share. There weren’t any other men in my life that cared about those things. I would have no problem with all of my guns and other items going to the nieces but, I don’t see them marrying a hunting fool in their future. That’s what it would take, a serious gun or outdoor person in the family to get them. Someone that can talk about guns or the outdoors for hours at a time. Most people you talk to don’t know enough about them and it seems like an inherantance that’s not appreciated like it deserves to be. Otherwise I’ll sell them and they can have the money after I’m dead.

My dad a total and complete nozzle. If I came into posession of anything of his I'd torch it and piss on the ashes . After the fire was out I'd dump diesel on it and burn it again. If that didn't do the trick I'd hang the items and then burn them.
you need a hug?

Nope, my grandfather is a great man and he took the place of my father. I have a few of my grandfathers horns that have become family heirlooms, including a 33" three point buck from the 50's.
i'm only razzin ya. I'm sure you have your reasons. but if you end up needing a hug just let me know.

My dad never hunted. But on occasion, he would pop rattle snakes that found their way into our yard. He did have a pretty nice collections of guns though.

My Dad wasn't a hunter so there was none. I only have two antelope mounts plus a garage rafters full of antlers. Knowing my daughter they're probably headed to the dump. I don't care.

I take a sawzall to my deer shoulder mounts and hang the racks in my shop when I think they start to look like a piss buck ?

All I got are pictures...the cowdogs got to chew up the antlers and hides hanging on the fences after hunting seasons..

You cant sell mounts? I ended up owning a trailer load of mounts of some old dude after his wife gave them away. I plan to give the elk to the Elks lodge. Whats stopping me is they want me to deliver it.

I don’t have any kids. I’m the youngest of three, two older sisters. Guns and hunting were two things dad and I would alway share. There weren’t any other men in my life that cared about those things. I would have no problem with all of my guns and other items going to the nieces but, I don’t see them marrying a hunting fool in their future. That’s what it would take, a serious gun or outdoor person in the family to get them. Someone that can talk about guns or the outdoors for hours at a time. Most people you talk to don’t know enough about them and it seems like an inherantance that’s not appreciated like it deserves to be. Otherwise I’ll sell them and they can have the money after I’m dead.

And are any these nieces moderately attractive? Asking for a friend.... lol jk

Lost my Dad to cancer just a couple years ago , his first muley shoulder mount hangs above my recliner , his whitetail and bear rugs decorate my basement walls. My mother still has the rest. Will keep them till the day I die !

Yeah....I figure about any redneck bar around here would take them. I bet you could get them to pay you if you threw in a little brass plaque with an outrageously exagerated score. What better conversation starter in a redneck bar?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom