Your Cold Weather Jacket?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I do a lot of layering when I'm in cold weather (below 30 degrees). I am looking into buying a better jacket so I won't have to do so much layering. I am looking for a warm jacket that will wrap up tight enough to fit in my pack though so it can't be a big parka or anything like that. What do you wear?

Steve
Don't leave your keys in your car or it WILL get stolen. :(

>30 degrees is cold?:D
>
>Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can
>

It is in Kali...lol
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

+1, I didn't think it started getting cold past 0. But after 4 years in Alaska, I do have a skewed definition of cold.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-11 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Wiz I have a jacket that I hand made out of chipmunk hides. Not only is it warm but if I go to my happy place I can still hear them chattering!!! :):)

8000chipmunk.jpg

Okay, sorry to poke fun at you Wiz. Now I do have a nice jacket that is warm, made by Whitewater I believe. It is reversible (fleece and brushed polyester), camouflaged on both sides, has a hood, and lightweight. It was pretty affordable from what I remember. I got mine from Cabela's about 6 years ago. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

Carhartt
I have several different styles. Living in Phoenix I have to be prepared for the real cold weather, not like you city slickers up there. It gets so cold down here you can actually see your breath sometimes!

I meant to say -30......

What do you mean you can see your breath? :)

Rug- Must have taken quite sometime to make that jacket. Did you bury the bones outside the secret clubhouse so your victims are close by?

Steve

Not in SoCal, silly. In Antarctica.....

Steve

I wasn't aware that Carhartt made jackets that would be sufficient for hunting. I used to wear them as work jackets because they lasted forever but I never bought them for their warmth.

Steve

>I wasn't aware that Carhartt made
>jackets that would be sufficient
>for hunting. I used to
>wear them as work jackets
>because they lasted forever but
>I never bought them for
>their warmth.

You need to buy the Arctic lined ones they make, thicker liner than the standard blanket lined ones and they have slick polyester lining in the sleeves. However, they are bulkier, at least hard to pack up in a small space; wasn't that what you were looking for? I used similar (knock offs, keep in mind the government buys stuff from the lowest bidder) jackets and bibs while I was working flightline maintenance in Alaska; with proper layers you can stay quite toasty. Keep in mind the jacket alone will not keep you warm, that extra layer over your kidneys and the rest of the core of your body with bib overalls do wonders at keeping you warm.
WVBOWAK

carhartt makes a good coat. thier right hand pocket is big enough for a 5th of jack.

Don't expect the Carhart stuff to wad up nicely and fit in a hunting pack, they are way to big and bulky..

Think Down or a lightweight synthetic insulation..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 03:51AM (MST)[p]Don't try & BS us Wisz,you meant +30:D
Kind of still need to do a couple layers,when it's cold & you're Hiking you won't need quite as much if it's cold & you're sitting/glassing.
Remember Wisz,you & me ain't gettin any younger,I remember the days when I'd never get cold no matter the conditions.

Try & dress so when you are Hiking you're not Sweating up a storm,you get wet you're gonna get cold.
I know you're thinking about that 2012 Utah Deer Tag,one good thing about Utah's Cold is that it's a 'Dry' Cold,and weather for the most part during Utah's Hunts hasn't been all that bad,well I take that back,I froze my ass off last year:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

BESS- I'm not too concerned with Utah next year. Wen we hunted WY it got cold...down to 11 degrees. I am thinking about my January AZ trip to 17A. I'm sure it's gonna be as low as 20 every morning. I would prefer to keep my layers down to 6! LOL

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]QT and myself were hunting near flagstaff AZ last January for elk. Temps ranged anywhere from -12F to -29F without the wind chill factor. The wind made it even worse. We had underarmor, thermals, and base layer clothing on. Next we had 2 sweaters each and on top of that we had our full setup of snowboarding clothes on. I was just fine and had no problems whatsoever. I originally had gortex boots on. They didn't hold up and the Ice kept leaking through to my socks so I put on my steel toed work boots. I work in so much oil that they are literally coated from head to toe in fine grease. I had zero problems with cold feet and leakage after that. Hope this helps.

also, the ice problem was due to the fact that the snow was anywhere from 15" to over 2 feet deep anywhere we walked. Hence the steel toed grease mongers being broken out.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]On the day of the kill it was still snowing hard but had finally warmed up to -20 degrees lol

8326elk12311-4.jpg

BTW.... we also had full face masks and gloves so thick you could hardly move your fingers lol

lets also not forget the 100's of pounds of hand warmers we burned through.

I agree with BS! I have an OLD canvas goose down filled jacket that packs small and has never left me cold. Just keep it dry.

Tha absolute most important feature on any jacket is a pocket to keep your car keys in! Some idiots don't have pockets so they leave them in their rigs. Bad idea!

Eel

"Some idiots don't have pockets so they leave them in their rigs. Bad idea!"

Oh No! LMAO! :)

I have a 100% polyester fleece jacket that i love. It'll pack down pretty good but the insulating, quiet, and cozy factors are awesome. I'll usually take off the other layers but leave on the jacket, It's just nice to hunt out of. BTW, Cotton fleece is crap!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Not cool, eel.

A down jacket has been a thought, Joey. You guys ever wear Berber? I have some Berber gloves and they are very warm.

Steve

Steve said, "Joey. You guys ever wear Berber?"

No i haven't Steve, sounds good though. Just as long as it's not cotton fleece. Cotton fleece gets wet and it'll stay wet for days. The fleece stuff i hunt with comes out the washer and i hang it to completely dry overnight.

Good luck on your late Az hunt! My Old Pard has several PIGS taken then and there but it's been awhile since he's done that hunt. I can hook you up with him easy enough if you want??

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom