Young Pointer pup finds her "groove"

Jeff,

Nice video. I love shorthairs. I have one thats about 4 years old and she is a great bird dog and I love wacthing her work.

Kevin

Jeff, You want to get "Julie" into some wild ones next year, let me know. I'm only 2 hours from you and i hunt the running B28ards 25-35 times a year.

I'm booked up with friends and friends of friends the rest of this year but early (Oct/Nov) they are pretty easy........at times. My male will be 3 in February and he's had 377 chukar taken over him so far in his young life.

Hope for some moisture this late winter/early spring or the population the last 3 years will suffer severely.

Nice video.

Califelkslayer, I would love that. I only hunted wild birds once with my previous shorthair, about ten years ago, up near Skedaddle mountain. Hunted hard all day, found birds finally in the early evening. Those birds were serious runners, drove the dog (and us) crazy!

I'm continuously working her on valley quail, so I hope she will be ready for some wild chukar action by Oct/Nov. Thank You for your generous offer

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Keep in touch. The hunt you described is typical late season chukar. They are a lot easier early as long as they have a decent hatch.

Early season you have birds that haven't been hunted so it's pretty easy to get a covey scattered and pick up lots of singles and pairs on points. Later, the initial covey rise is usually the best. After you find them again, they're spooky and get up wild (mostly)

Snow late is good too. The birds will be concentrated on south/east facing slopes where the sun has burned the snow off. None of that this year so far.

But be careful!! they say you hunt chukar the first time for fun........after that you hunt them for revenge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom