yotes?

hey everyone i need some help my 5 yr old boy has been chompin at the bit now to go out and find some yotes.. i was wondering if anoyone had some good ideas where i might get into a few i am in central utah...i dont need your honey hole just looking to get out and have fun with my boy.. thanks for your help

I would stay out on the western side of the state because of all the hunters in the mountians right now.... Vernon perhaps?

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Just remember that it's (supposedly) illegal to have a firearm anywhere a bull elk, buck pronghorn, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain goat, limited-entry buck deer, or CWMU hunt is going on unless you have a tag for that hunt. This pretty much means coyote hunting is illegal in most of the state for the next couple months.

Silly, huh? It's pretty clear from a legal standpoint that these DWR *RULES* are contradictory to Utah state *LAWS* (including the good old constitutional right to keep and bear arms), but that's a fight for someone with deep pockets and a good lawyer. DWR can and will charge you if you're coyote hunting in any of these places.

Here's an alternative for you. You have to drive a ways anyway so hit the area around Malta Idaho. It's just over the boarder by Snowville, Utah. Last time I checked, with a $11.00 gun permit you can hunt coyotes all you want. Better check on that, but it's loaded with those little yippers.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-09 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]Like all things in Idaho hunting, the prices have skyrocketed lately. The price for the small game hunting license for non-residents is $97.75.

They do have a non-game license that allows you to carry a firearm for things like trap shooting and stuff in the field. It costs $35.50 for non-residents, but expires August 31.

These exorbitant prices are the primary reason why I'm boycotting Idaho hunting. I prefer hunting elsewhere to getting raped repeatedly.

Ya that's the license I'm talking about. I just moved from Idaho so I didn't keep up on the nonresident regs. I don't think I'd buy a license to hunt coyotes if that's the case.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

I was just wondering what page would I find this information on in the proclamation? I have looked but cant find were it says that. I try and go out two three times a month coyote hunting. From what I have read it says coyotes can be hunted year round without a hunting liscense. Thanks James

yeah i have actually been re searching it my self and there was nothin said about that...cuz if thats the case then you shouldnt be able to even go rabbit hunting or even to sight your gun in.... i am going with your idea as to where you can hunt them year round.. sorry apollo dude but i am not going to agree either..

What don't you agree with? The fact you can't carry a firearm during these hunts or the fact that DWR doesn't have authority to regulate firearms?

Big Game Proclamation page 40:

"Temporary game preserves are any area in Utah where a bull elk, buck pronghorn, moose, bison, bighorn sheep or Rocky Mountain goat hunt is taking place. In addition, all limited-entry buck deer areas and CWMUs in Utah are considered temporary game preserves while hunts are taking place on them. If you do not have a valid permit to hunt on a temporary game preserve, you may not carry a firearm or archery equipment in the field while a hunt is taking place."

I don't know how it could be more clear than that. If one of these hunts is going on, DWR says you can't carry a firearm in the field. There is an exception if you have a concealed firearms permit, but it's intended for personal protections, not for hunting other animals. If you're coyote hunting in someone LE archery area, DWR can and will charge you.

But here's Utah's Uniform Firearms law:

"Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property."

The legislature HAS NOT granted DWR authority to regulate firearms. As such, these *rules* are contrary to state law, yet they are still in place.

"If you do not have a valid permit to hunt on a temporary game preserve, you may not carry a firearm or archery equipment in the field while a hunt is taking place".............

that means that you must have a State hunting license, if you are hunting ANYTHING in the same area.....it does not state that you must have a specific tag for THAT area.

"valid permit" is a hunting license, not necessarily a specific tag.

I would test that citation in court.

>that means that you must have
>a State hunting license, if
>you are hunting ANYTHING in
>the same area

That is not how the DWR interprets it. And if this were the case, why have they have this rule at all? To bust all the people that hunt without licenses??? That's already illegal.

And why would they include the exception for "Hunters who are licensed to hunt upland game or waterfowl" if the restriction only applied to anyone that didn't have a license?

Licenses are not the same as permits.

Again, I think these rules are messed up and contrary to state law. I'm not trying to argue with you, but to help protect you. DWR can and will charge you for coyote hunting on any of these units - and this has been confirmed to me by a DWR officer. While you would have plenty of ways to fight it, it will be expensive and a pain to do so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom