YNP Elk Decline linked to Trout?

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...-e255b5ca1050.html?comment_form=true#comments

I read this article over and over again in an attempt to make some sense of it. They are linking the decline in the elk in YNP to the decline in the cutthroat trout in YNP. They claim that the grizzly bear has had to alter its food source to elk now that the cutthroat trout populations in YNP have significantly declined. There is some dispute over what has caused the decline of the Yellowstone Cutthroat in YNP. Some say it is the lake trout that the first YNP Superintendent put in YNP over a century ago. Others claim it is the silting of the spawning streams as a result of the YNP "let it burn" policy. Logic tells me that historically the Yellowstone Cutthroat was likely only susceptible to bear predation for a short period of time every year during spawning in the small tributaries to Yellowstone Lake.

My conclusion is this is another attempt to deflect away from the root cause of the decline in elk in YNP and the surrounding areas. I find this kind of science to be political in nature and not very helpful.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-13 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]That is F'n Brilliant!! That sounds like what a bunch of Obama voters would come up with....I bet that study cost a fortune too. This is what we get out of a liberal education system. You sure do not get much out of a PHD these days!!! Educated beyond their intelligence!!!

Have they ever heard of Canis Lupus!!!!!!! Are they even smart enough to realize the bear chit full of elk meat is because the F'n wolves killed the pregnant cow elk, then the bear ate the remains (that is what bears do). The wolf only ate 4 pounds off the kill before it left to kill another (seen this with my own eye's)... GOD HELP US or better yet HELP YELLOWSTONE ELK!!

Buzz do you have an alias?? This sounds like a piece of your work!!

OMG!!!! Unbelievable.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Its a sad state of affairs when science is trumped by politics. They are desperately trying to find some reason, any reason, other than the true reason because they simply can't come to terms with that.

I have always said IF you pay enough the study/report will always say what you want it to say.
Case in point.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom