Yellowtail and Dorado Report 7-17-2006

F

freedivr2

I headed out of with 22 other friends on our annual Tuna Charter, this time not an overnighter, but a 1.5 day trip last Sunday night. We boarded the "Ranger 85" out of H & M at San Diego at about 8 pm. At 6 am Monday, we were 76 miles from San Diego, and kept heading south in Mexican waters. Probably got as far as 100 miles SW of Diego before we turned around at 4 pm.

Early am we picked up about (8) 30-40 lb. Yellowfin Tuna on the troll. The water was aquamarine blue, conditions perfect, small 1' wind waves in the morning, and 2-4' swells. Sky was overcast and the water temp about 72 deg. The tuna bite was super slow, so we started fishing floating kelp paddys around 9 am, and picked up some really nice yellowtails (the pic below is me with my 28 lb. YT and a couple of 10 lb. Dorado)

Big_Tail_and_Dodos_7-17-2006.jpg

The vast majority of the Yellowtail we were finding were in the 12-18 lb. class. Then, around 10 am, we found a small paddy full of hungry dorados!! We pulled in a few of em, and then kept paddy hoppin. Almost every paddy had Yellows and/or dodos, so everytime we spotted one the anticipation level was purty good.

We had one or two pretty hot stops on the dodos, and they were lit up and jumping real good. Biggest bull dodo filled the length of the kill box (about 4'), we estimated him to go around 25 lbs. Most of the dodos were in the 8-10 lb. class. Below is a picture of some of the fish (the rest are on the starboard side of the bow, there was no angle I could get to take a pic of all of em).

Yellowtail_and_Dodos_7-17-2006_001a.jpg

Total damage for the day for our group was 83 YT, 72 Dorado and 8 YFT (for 22 guys). I ended up with 5 Yellowtail and 2 Dodos. So, not a bad day out on the pond......Oh yeah, almost forgot; The yellowtail above got me the jackpot for the trip; $220 smackers!

Dang that looks like fun. I'd like to do that someday. Once upon a time I had a 32' sloop and sailed it into the Bahamas. Occasionally we would catch a Dorado on our lines, they were the best BBQ I've ever had.

Congrats Myke,

BeanMan

Thanks Fred. Both these fish are whacko fighters. The yellowtail are strong, fast fish, excellent fighters. Even A 10 lb. Yellowtail will put the hurt on you for about 10 minutes. This one took about 20 minutes to bring in (25 lb. line/28 lb. fish). Fun, fun, fun.

If you're ever out here this time of year, lemme know.....

The ocean is such a different world compared to bank fishing my rivers.
It DOES however look like a lot of fun.
The ocean makes me a little nervous...I have a lot of respect for the big blue.
Thanks for sharing.
HH

Very Nice!
Looks like a ton of fun and some excellent eating!
Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

very cool Myke!!! When's it my turn! There's a Mako out there with my name on it!

Scotty aka Killingmachine;

Your answer will come from Bigpig. I'm trying to get him to go out for some more of these bitchin fish while the gettin is good here locally! Stay tuned, I hear BP just got back from HIS honeymoon yesterday........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom