X6a Archery - Trail cameras and questions

ChasinFin

I'm hopeful to draw X6a for Archery this season given my current points. I've been to the area some but never specific for deer and i plan to take a trip in July to scout, get a basis for camping and checking out terrain following all the fires.

My main questions was trail cameras - do you guys put them up on public ground and if so, high probability of them getting stolen? Seems like everything else these days gets taken and bad guys ruin it for the good guys but was curious if folks have good results leaving cameras out?

I was going to check out the Antelope lake camping area as a base camp and then try and scout the higher ridges for deer. I was going to bring my young boys to camp for the scouting trip so we'll see how much off road we can do - they are pretty good hikers and i think they will enjoy glassing the evenings/morning before it gets too hot.

I've shot some other animals with a bow but this would be my first attempt at deer so I'm just trying to improve my chances and get some stalks under my belt (assuming its going to be a lot different than with a rifle) Should be a good learning experience and hopeful to see a few bucks.

If anyone has any other tips on the area, I'm all ears and trying to soak as much up as i can. Also my oldest is now eligible for the Apprentice hunts so hopeful we get lucky there too. appreciate all the help!

yeah i haven't seen it since the fire so i'm sure a lot has changed. I'll get some eyes on it and hopeful to find some pockets of deer. only one way to find out.

Moonlight Fire burned more of X6A in 2007. 65,000 acres I think. Dixie Fire burned more of the country from Greenville to Westwood. Either way it’s thick and getting harder to find bucks. Might be better during archery. Good luck!

Bears will eat your cameras
8FFBE709-1B8A-43D0-8E1A-854DF938CAE1.jpeg

Trail cams are always at risk of theft or being damaged... no matter how well you hide them.. Jester

If your cameras are more than 50 yards off the dirt rds, they will be fine. Nothing but road warrior, rd hunters in X6a.

well i'll give it a shot with a few of them and take the risk. Who knows on the deer, its hunting but i'm going to give it my best for the limited time i have. Either way, i'll learn something.

Thanks. Hopefully the camping/scouting is enjoyable with the kids next month.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom