X zone weather

Y

yollyhunter

Hey yall I have a few questions for you guys who have hunted the x zones before. Ive been watching the weather forecast for the opening weekend and right now it is showing some possible weather for the first couple days of october. I know it is a long way off but what is everybodys general rule of thumb for hunting mulies in the rain. I drew x3b and have hunted it with archery before and plan on hunting up pretty high to start off, I was also wondering what everybody thought about what the deer do if there is a little snow up high. How much snow does it take to get the deer moving? Anything will help because im just used to hunting blacktails and dont ever have to deal with snow. Im gonna keep my fingers crossed for some sort of weather, and good luck to everybody else who drew and x zone tag.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]Some valid questions and concerns you have there. Rain is usually not a factor because of the time of year and where you are. Snow is much more likely but in either event, not getting stuck in the mud or sliding off the road is a big concern. IMO, early snows do get the deer moving but generally don't move the older class bigger bucks off the mountain if they were up there to begin with. Visibility can be very difficult while hunting a storm. Ideally, a storm will pass through, things will clear up, and there is mr Big standing there out in the open where you figured he may be but you would not have been able to see moments before. I'm hoping for very cold weather, overcast, with little or no moisture.

Good luck on your 3-b hunt!

Joey

deer feed heavy before inclimate weather so you will see more deer!
during they hunker down..rain is good because it get thing wet making it easy to not make much noise when doing a stalk!
I like the fact its turns dirt roads into slip and slides show if your up on top and you can watch the road hunters get stuck!!(plus cuts down the dust for a while!)..
snow is good to move deer heavier the better!
but I do best just after when it gets cold real cold.. "teens or single digits" get bucks moving...and in to the sun shine at first light and move most of the day..
where I hunt cold snowy morning are the best and I will see bucks however that area is no secret!!it will sound like the rifle range..
Foul weather will bring all locals out!!
have a bucky openier!!

wet weather doesn't work well for those who pattern waterhole bucks!!
need to have a back up plan just incase they stop using a water spot becasuse water will be everywhere!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-11 AT 03:01AM (MST)[p]http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/dorris/96023/city-weather-forecast.asp

am taken chains for my Quad and chest waders!!!
5 days of wet ...
a hint of a wet and early winter?

Goat i have been checking that site every day since you posted.It sure is lookimg good isn't it.

Weather is good right now......if you are still working on your tan!

The Eastern Sierra zones all pretty much suck, so far. Hopefully, we will catch at least one storm before the season ends.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Raining HARD right now at 4000 feet. I can't see the mountains, but they are calling for a foot of snow at 7000 feet.

I guarantee we will have deer by Friday am in the Eastern Sierra.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Nickman is right now!
It's still snowing today @ 8,000 ft. here in Mammoth, but the orecast says it will be clear by this afternoon. If you have a tag, nows the time.

We have gotten around 2" of rain in the last 24 hours in the north valley and about 2" of this stuff also.

11602011-10-05_18-07-59_776.jpg

Look's like several places in the Northeastern part of the state were in the low 20's this morning

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom