Wyoming Wildlife Magazine

TOPGUN

Long Time Member
There is an interesting multi-page (10 to be exact) writeup in the August edition of the magazine dealing with limiting road access. Just one picture caption sort of speaks to the article: "Although some say that roadless areas actually deny access to hunters, Gasson quickly counters: "Roadless areas only deny access to people who are unwilling to pay the sweat equity on that access." I know this is a subject that BuzzH has spoken about many times on this site and one that I definitely agree with him on.

Just got my issue today or I hope that is the right issue as I did not look that close.
Both the WY and CO issues came today in mail.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I have Wyo/Colo and Mont wildlife mags come here to the house...lots of good reading and some overlap topics now and then that present really different points of view.

Robb

I have not read the article, but this is something that I feel strongly about! There is nothing that makes my blood boil more than hiking my butt off, to get up on the mountain, then to have somebody on a dirt bike, or some other atv come up the trail.
I have never seen this happen in Wyoming but it does happen in my home state, and I can't believe the Forest service allows it! Its ridiculous!!!
There needs to be places where you can get away from this... Either walk or ride a horse!
Am I the only one who feels this way?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]Part of the challenge of hunting public lands is finding those chunks of roadless country that provide that "refugia" for biggame. You know, those rough chunks with 3 or 4 miles without a road running through them . . . Are these areas the best country in the area for biggame?

The trouble with closing access on these federal lands is that these lands (Natl Forest and BLM) are designated multiple use, and we hunters are but one user on these lands, and at that you will find half of hunters not willing to give up that extra mile or two on their ATV. Hey, aren't there plenty of roadless places for those types of hunters?

You will find half of hunters not in favor of more federal regulations on public lands, those who feel that we have enough roadless areas . . . Aren't we heading to more restricted access of public lands, anyway?

You will also find these federal agencies in charge of more country than their expertise or budget will allow them to efficiently administer. Just for fun, call into the BLM and tell them you were in some remote spot and saw an ATV'er off-roading it where he shouldn't have been. What do you think will be the response? The action?

The realistic approach to all of this is to plop down that map and find these most remote spots that offer that "refugia" for game. Often, these areas aren't the farthest away from the road. They can be areas near the roads that are overlooked, too steep or thick for roads. Hunt areas with travel restrictions. Hunt areas that aren't the most popular. Do all of this because, by the time you see more federal protection of biggame habitat, you will be too old to get into these areas anyway!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom